Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you trade back for Tavon Austin in the 1st?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
He doesn't strike me as a complete receiver. I'm not sold on his route running or consistency. Especially coming across the middle. We don't need a playmaker; we've got Brown for that. We need a tall, physical WR who makes the hard catches and who's routes distract another defender to make space for Brown.

He's not complete in that he's far better as a slot guy than outside, but he's a real good route runner from the slot and over the middle. I wouldn't want him for this team unless I knew we were also targeting a large WR later in the draft, but he would be a great fit for the team. I just don't think he's someone we could trade down and still get.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare Austin to whoever you want, I dont want him. We need someone with size. Speed is not everything and his speed is the onlu reason anyone is talking about him as a high first round pick.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
The steelers lack redzone offense and Tavon Austin doesn't help in that area at all. Tavon is good if we had Hopkins and he could be the slot

That's a main reason why I'm not high on him for this team. How many 5'9" WRs have been drafted in the first round? Not only that but how many 5'9" WRs are legitimate difference makers in the league? Maybe a couple if that. To me he's nothing more than a #3 slot WR and would be limited in the red zone. He would be a good complimentary type of player. I don't want a complimentary type of player at a skilled position selected in the first round though. I do think he's a good football player, and I see why people want him, but he's not the go-to guy that I personally would like for them to select that high if they do go after a WR. I see another Dexter McLuster type. A decent player to have to give defenses different looks but nothing that makes me want them to spend a first rounder on.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Compare Austin to whoever you want, I dont want him. We need someone with size. Speed is not everything and his speed is the onlu reason anyone is talking about him as a high first round pick.

bolded is 100% false.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'd have to take him at 17 if we wanted him. I see him as a young Santana Moss or possibly like Percy Harvin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1STEELERFAN wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
HELL NO!

Listen, Im not denying the talented potential of D.Jackson but the fact is he hasnt lived up to what his expectations were yet. This is DJax all over again. We need a legit receiver not a glorified track star.

Austin is neither. He's a better football player than Jackson and to me that comparison is poor actually. Jackson was a much better returner than receiver or football player in general.

Austin can be used as a return guy but thats not where he is best at. Comparing him to a track guy is even worse. Honestly if you know anything about football and scouting and have watched any of his tapes that would be the last thing you would think of actually. Hs numbers at the combine really didn't mean all that much other than the fact that it reassured what you saw on the field happened for legitimate reasons and should translate to the next level.

JPN not throwing out a comparison??? well I will, similar to Wes Welker with a hair more speed!!!

I'd compare him more to Darren Sproles actually but much more of a true receiver threat.

I had him going to Houston or New England in the 1st pre combine. I pretty much had the same after the combine as it only reinforced what I saw was worthy of that consideration. A few more hats may have been thrown in the ring especially since free agency holes have been filled by teams from 12-20.

He may be a luxury pick in ways but he very well could be one of the most effective weapons in the league. The rich get richer for a reason.

...you have a forum resume?
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason to fight it. Sproles, Rainey, DeSean are not close. He is similar to Percy Harvin. I would say that he is a better playmaker and more dynamic than Harvin. No one has Austin's feet. His cutting ability is uncanny. Look him up in YouTube the video I watched was 100K views. If his team won more games he should've won the Heisman.

I would take him at #17 if he is there. He is a perfect fit in the rinky dink offense of Haley. He won't be available on a trade back as someone will take him or jump in front of you. As stated, watch out for the Rams at #16. They took Brian Quick last year who goes about 6'3" so I don't think they would take Keenan Allen. Unless Buffalo grabs him at #8 I only see STL as the only other team in front of us that would take him.

Buffalo grabbing Austin at #8 and then trading back into the first for a QB makes a whole lot of sense as the QBs would be over drafted at #8. Here's to hoping Buffalo trades with us. Cheers
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

People were expecting him to be an early second or mid-late first back back when one of his concerns was still a possible lack of elite straight line speed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

People were expecting him to be an early second or mid-late first back back when one of his concerns was still a possible lack of elite straight line speed.
i agree. I'll add this, size is always overrated in my eyes. What matters most is can you get open, do you have quickness and sped so DBs can't cover you, do you have great hands, are you a great route runner?

Give me a guy like Brown and other 6' and shorter Wrs over a 6'3 to 6'5 wr who can't get open and can't catch anyday.

Just say no to Sweed, Hardy, and Malcolm Kelly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has way more than speed. He's got great vision, acceleration, & quickness. He would make our offense very dynamic. He could be a YAC monster. And good for a handful of special teams touchdowns to boot next year. He might be well worth the first pick.

Last edited by JLambert58 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

i agree. I'll add this, size is always overrated in my eyes. What matters most is can you get open, do you have quickness and sped so DBs can't cover you, do you have great hands, are you a great route runner?

Give me a guy like Brown and other 6' and shorter Wrs over a 6'3 to 6'5 wr who can't get open and can't catch anyday.

Just say no to Sweed, Hardy, and Malcolm Kelly

Size is only overrated if you put more stock in that than anything else.

A big target could help our redzone offense out big time. We have no one who can go after a jump ball or that has an advantage on a fade route. You dont really have to be big to do a fade route, but alot of Ben's fades to the back corner of the endzone are high....and a big WR can get those.

Im hoping we use Burress more, especially in the red zone, but he doesnt have the same ups he used to.

Do we NEED a big guy? No, but it would be a tremendous asset.
steelersusmc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen much of Tavon before today and I was echoing what alot. Of people on here feel ie. too small, we need a big receiver etc. but after watching the Oklahoma replay today I would not mind this pick at all. First off the guy does have some great hands, and has incredible change of direction. He carries the ball like a seasoned running back and looks really "football smart" when he's carrying the ball. I think with him and Antonio on the field at the same time will make Plax's life alot easier as well, not to mention Tavon has real talent carrying the ball out of the backfield, which our team is lacking currently.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind him as the pick, especially if we lose Sanders, but I'd really like to also take a larger WR elsewhere in the draft or FA if we took Tavon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They have A. Brown. They need a guy outside. Keenan Allen or Nuk Hopkins are better options.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosell's take on Tavon:

Quote:
If NFL is passing/space league, why is WVU Austin not top 10 pick. Most explosive playmaker in draft. Can align anywhere. Matchup nightmare.

https://twitter.com/gregcosell/status/314182474165014528

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: