Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you trade back for Tavon Austin in the 1st?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Would you trade back for Tavon Austin in the 1st? Reply with quote

Ok, we lost Mike Wallace, and it looks like we probably will lose Saunders. We need to draft a WR at some point but what about Tavon Austin?

I know he is undersized and maybe not the physical WR we may want but the guy is fast and reminds me of Desean Jackson.

I personally would rather get a defensive stud in the 1st but if we could trade back a few spots and pick up an extra 3rd would you want Tavon with our 1st pick.

He could stretch the field and add some speed that we could use since we don't have Wallace.

It's just an idea. What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could trade back and get him that would be real nice value.

I think the reality is we are more likely to have to trade up if we want him.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, he should certainly be on the radar at 17 if he lasts.

Now that they have Wallace and Keller locked up, I think he's the odds on favorite to the Dolphins at 12. They are committed to giving Tannehill weapons and he'd make that O lethal.

Rams at 16 make a lot of sense as well having lost DA.

I think most are really undervaluing how unique a skill set he brings to the table.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
If we could trade back and get him that would be a great deal.

I think the reality is we are more likely to have to trade up if we want to get him.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, he should certainly be on the radar at 17 if he lasts.

Now that they have Wallace and Keller locked up, I think he's the odds on favorite to the Dolphins at 12. They are committed to giving Tannehill weapons and he'd make that O lethal.

Rams at 16 make a lot of sense as well having lost DA.

I think most are really undervaluing how unique a skill set he brings to the table.

The Dolphins have Wallace, Hartline, Bess and Keller. That's a nice group right there. I can't see them targeting a guy in an area where they are solid compared to the other holes on their team like cornerback or offensive line. I could see the Rams being a nice fit for him though.

As far as him going to the Steelers he's a potential first round WR that I least want for them. I don't want a wide receiver in the first who most likely will never be a #1 WR on the team.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather trade back and get Hunter. I'm tired of tiny WRs.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
HeySteelers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take him in the first at pick 17.

He is an explosive playmaker who is a threat to take it to the house at any point in any game.

I feel as if he is a amazing fit for Haleys offense. a YAC machine.

I feel as if Hopkins or Tavon would be perfect fits for this offense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't strike me as a complete receiver. I'm not sold on his route running or consistency. Especially coming across the middle. We don't need a playmaker; we've got Brown for that. We need a tall, physical WR who makes the hard catches and who's routes distract another defender to make space for Brown.
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
He doesn't strike me as a complete receiver. I'm not sold on his route running or consistency. Especially coming across the middle. We don't need a playmaker; we've got Brown for that. We need a tall, physical WR who makes the hard catches and who's routes distract another defender to make space for Brown.

I won't disagree about the need for an outside receiver to put opposite Brown.

I will disagree 100% with the bolded tho.

I really don't care whether it comes at the TE spot, the Y receiver spot, or the slot...we absolutely need another playmaker on this team. I don't think an NFL team can ever have enough players that can be characterized as true NFL caliber "playmakers".

Austin may be small, so I don't make this comparison based on physical attributes, but he could add that Darren Sproles/Percy Harvin element to whatever team he joins. We could absolutely use that. Wes Welker on steroids if he hits his ceiling....Haley could use that in a heartbeat.

I doubt I get what I am hoping for in this draft but I am pulling for one of Austin/Patterson/Carradine with Vacarro a distant 4th....I'll take em in whatever round they come but I would be perfectly happy using #17 on any of them.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Dook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

We had a speedy small guy in Rainey and how much success did he have?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steelers lack redzone offense and Tavon Austin doesn't help in that area at all. Tavon is good if we had Hopkins and he could be the slot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
No.

Jesus wept

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
1STEELERFAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeySteelers wrote:
I would take him in the first at pick 17.

He is an explosive playmaker who is a threat to take it to the house at any point in any game.

I feel as if he is a amazing fit for Haleys offense. a YAC machine.

I feel as if Hopkins or Tavon would be perfect fits for this offense.

agreed
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL NO!

Listen, Im not denying the talented potential of D.Jackson but the fact is he hasnt lived up to what his expectations were yet. This is DJax all over again. We need a legit receiver not a glorified track star.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
No.

Thats a horrible comparison. Rainey doesnt even belong in the same sentence with Austin as a football player.

...you have a forum resume?
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
HELL NO!

Listen, Im not denying the talented potential of D.Jackson but the fact is he hasnt lived up to what his expectations were yet. This is DJax all over again. We need a legit receiver not a glorified track star.

Austin is neither. He's a better football player than Jackson and to me that comparison is poor actually. Jackson was a much better returner than receiver or football player in general.

Austin can be used as a return guy but thats not where he is best at. Comparing him to a track guy is even worse. Honestly if you know anything about football and scouting and have watched any of his tapes that would be the last thing you would think of actually. Hs numbers at the combine really didn't mean all that much other than the fact that it reassured what you saw on the field happened for legitimate reasons and should translate to the next level.

...you have a forum resume?
1STEELERFAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
HELL NO!

Austin is neither. He's a better football player than Jackson and to me that comparison is poor actually. Jackson was a much better returner than receiver or football player in general.

Austin can be used as a return guy but thats not where he is best at. Comparing him to a track guy is even worse. Honestly if you know anything about football and scouting and have watched any of his tapes that would be the last thing you would think of actually. Hs numbers at the combine really didn't mean all that much other than the fact that it reassured what you saw on the field happened for legitimate reasons and should translate to the next level.

JPN not throwing out a comparison??? well I will, similar to Wes Welker with a hair more speed!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: