Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with the Webb-slinger?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Future of Joe Webb?
Outright release
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
Attempt to trade
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
Move to WR or other position
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 41

SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Just for fun:

Tebow - 47.9 Completion Percentage
Webb - 57.9 Completion Percentage

Neither of them are worth a darn as a QB.

Won't disagree. But I'll reiterate that when Tebow was traded, him helping the Broncos to a 6 game winning streak and him beating the Steelers in the playoffs, was fresh on team's minds. The only thing on team's minds when it comes to Webb is how badly he played against the Packers.
JMac79

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with SemperFeist on this one: I think the idea of trading Webb is a pipe dream. I could see teams basically taking the same tack that they did with Cassel: wait until he gets cut, and then sign him without having to give up anything. Obviously Webb doesn't have the big contract that Cassel did, but I think most teams can read the writing on the wall - Joe Webb is a guy that simply doesn't fit with what the Vikings want to do on offense, and has a very good chance of being cut. The Packers playoff game also makes him a murky option as a backup QB; unless its the Redskins, Seahawks, 49ers, etc. that want him (teams that have incorporated a good deal of the read option style offense), he doesn't offer much as a #2 QB, because, if you need him to step in, you'd have to restructure your offense around Webb's highly-specialized skills (primarily his ability as a runner/scrambler) and significant weaknesses (pretty much anything requiring him to read defenses and deliver a fairly well-placed ball with consistency).

I think its fairly clear that the "Joe Webb: NFL QB" experiment failed; his future in the NFL will likely hinge upon his ability to become a WR, which we (as fans) really haven't seen much of his skill in that regard. Hopefully the coaches (and by extension, Speilman and the FO) will have seen what he can do in that regard in past practice and limited exposure in the role, and can make a decision of whether or not he has a chance to develop fairly quickly as a WR. If the Vikings only pick up one WR in the draft, and think that Webb might be able to develop quickly as a WR, he might be able to fight for a roster spot in camp. Otherwise, I really don't see a future for him with the Vikings.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see him as a 3rd string/gimmick player.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut him or kick returner. He is not going to be aQB this year. And if ponder sucks, they will draft a new starter next year. He offers the Vikings nothing as a QB. Sometimes you just have to move on in life.....
Freakout

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still like to see him as a WR. He is still young enough to make the transition. I personally do not buy the 1500 ESPN writers that kept saying he could not catch. They were saying the same garbage about Jarius Wright.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see him return kicks too, but that roster spot is too valuable to waste on a guy that will see the field likely 4-5 plays a game. He would need to offer something more, and he is not shifty enough to return punts.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDBrocks wrote:
I would like to see him return kicks too, but that roster spot is too valuable to waste on a guy that will see the field likely 4-5 plays a game. He would need to offer something more, and he is not shifty enough to return punts.

That's why you if you keep him, you keep him as technically the 3rd string QB. We wouldn't expect him to play him as a QB, only in emergencies, but he would be on the roster to return kicks or run gimmick plays.
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
JDBrocks wrote:

That's why you if you keep him, you keep him as technically the 3rd string QB. We wouldn't expect him to play him as a QB, only in emergencies, but he would be on the roster to return kicks or run gimmick plays.

I still think it's a waste of a roster spot because he doesn't offer much at QB and there isn't a whole lot of development that can be done at this point. I'd rather see a developmental guy as the 3rd string QB and a CB/RB/WR at the the KR position

Josh Ritter wrote:
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut him. He doesn't have any value.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDBrocks wrote:

Like sherels...who should never see the field?
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
JDBrocks wrote:

Like sherels...who should never see the field?

He's proven to be very effective at what he does though, and also contributes elsewhere on special teams.

Webb wouldn't be out there making tackles, hasn't returned kicks in a game, and doesn't have the upside (anymore) that you look for in a 3rd QB.

Josh Ritter wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDBrocks wrote:
Webb wouldn't be out there making tackles, hasn't returned kicks in a game, and doesn't have the upside (anymore) that you look for in a 3rd QB.

False
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's returned one kick.

Last edited by rpmwr19 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Purple Power

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
JDBrocks wrote:

False

I thought the Vikings tried him at WR also and he could not catch the ball?
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
JDBrocks wrote:

False

My mistake. He did return a kick against Buffalo in 2010. 1 kick. In 3 years.

Josh Ritter wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: