Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants sign former Raiders, Panthers WR Louis Murphy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Giants sign former Raiders, Panthers WR Louis Murphy Reply with quote

Quote:
WR Louis Murphy agrees to terms on a one-year deal with the Giants, per league source.

http://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/312948011548422144
Tom Brady Tribute
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who???!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this is on the cheap, I really like this deal. Murphy has been underrated and never really gotten the opportunity to play with a legit QB. Played much better and was much more valuable at Florida than people give him credit for. Could be pretty valuable on the depth chart if/when someone *coughNickscough* is sidelined...
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt Nicks has been injured, but it's not like hes missing entire seasons. Doubt Louis murphy is here to take his place on the roster if Nicks is injured, more like insurance for Hixon or Barden. JJ will still probably be in front of Murphy simply cause he was a former draft pick.

All in all a good signing, provided he is on a vet min contract.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing, even better if its vet minimum.

dkebones wrote:
never really gotten the opportunity to play with a legit QB

like dkebones said, he never truly had a good qb, was with Oakland and then went to Carolina while Newton had sophmore slumps. I expect him to play a role similiar to the role Devery Henderson played at New Orleans, a guy that most likely won't ever get 1,000+ yards but can probably get somewhere around 600-700 yards, and make big plays.
dkebones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulcan_Prime wrote:
No doubt Nicks has been injured, but it's not like hes missing entire seasons. Doubt Louis murphy is here to take his place on the roster if Nicks is injured, more like insurance for Hixon or Barden. JJ will still probably be in front of Murphy simply cause he was a former draft pick.

All in all a good signing, provided he is on a vet min contract.

lol, i'm not sure how you inferred that i thought Murphy would be "taking the place" of Nicks. and your comment re: Jernigan makes no sense at all because he and Murphy are polar opposite style of players.
Acgott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN Dan Graziano thinks that he may be our punt returner.
Makes sense with Randle becoming a major part in our offense
Ermertne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this I've always like Murphy in college wanted him in the Draft but he should be a good 4th WR to take over domnick role if they can't resign him jj to me is not that good never liked him just saying
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good depth signing. He's still young maybe he'll become something more
NickButera

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have had two very underrated signings in Murphy and Myers. Murphy showed plenty of flashes while he was with the raiders. Then he was sidelined with an injury and became expendable when we drafted other good potential WR's in his same stage of development. If he gets plugged in because of injury, he could surprise a lot of people having a QB like Eli throwing to him. To me, givin the right situation like what the Giants have, he's the type of signing that could boom for a season and have a couple of fantastic games if the conditions are right. However I could be wrong, he's had some hands issues come up every now and then, so he may turn some heads and shake some heads in the same game. He's also a high character guy, good person all around.

Myers may not be the greatest blocker, but the fact that he has such consistent hands is going to do wonders for your WR corps. I loved Bennett, not sure how Giants fans felt about him, but I think Myers is going to step in and help your offense open up just a little bit more. He had a knack for finding the open patches in the middle of the field and seemed to always catch the ball.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just freaked out Laughing

I "love" this man

#WeTheNorth
bigbluefan80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked murphy in the draft. he ended up the better WR for Oakland over Heyward Bey. I no he is a speed burner so thats a plus. Right now cant gauge where hell be on the depth chart. ill say 4th behind Nicks, Cruz, Randle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
You guys have had two very underrated signings in Murphy and Myers. Murphy showed plenty of flashes while he was with the raiders. Then he was sidelined with an injury and became expendable when we drafted other good potential WR's in his same stage of development. If he gets plugged in because of injury, he could surprise a lot of people having a QB like Eli throwing to him. To me, givin the right situation like what the Giants have, he's the type of signing that could boom for a season and have a couple of fantastic games if the conditions are right. However I could be wrong, he's had some hands issues come up every now and then, so he may turn some heads and shake some heads in the same game. He's also a high character guy, good person all around.

Myers may not be the greatest blocker, but the fact that he has such consistent hands is going to do wonders for your WR corps. I loved Bennett, not sure how Giants fans felt about him, but I think Myers is going to step in and help your offense open up just a little bit more. He had a knack for finding the open patches in the middle of the field and seemed to always catch the ball.

Thanks for the writeup Nick! It's much appreciated
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
NickButera wrote:

Thanks for the writeup Nick! It's much appreciated

+1 I have high hopes for Murphy. Hes got size, speed and route running ability.

^Stone85 on the sig^
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coughlin was a WR coach. He'll fix his hands.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: