Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Open Forum: My Free Agency Take thus far.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7316
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Open Forum: My Free Agency Take thus far. Reply with quote

Welp, it's been a crazy past 5 days and the process is still on-going.

Bucs made a huge impact signing S Dashon Goldson to a 5 year41.5 million 22 million guranteed, largest contract for a safety in NFL history. No doubt Goldson is a well rounded player in coverage and in the run and follows the football. Did we overpay? Quite possibly. But he brings physicallity, leadership, and an impact to our defense.

Grade : B+ (only because he's not the best Safety in football)

I liked the move of Jonathon Casilas. Brings competition to the SLB spot and fills depth and special teams.

Grade: B

Kevin Ogeltree i thought was a solid move. He's got a good relationship with Garrett and will definately compete with Underwood for the 3rd WR spot. Good route runner. Crabtree was another solid move as he adds a well rounded option who's reliable as a pass catcher.

Grade: B for each.

Trading Benn was another good move. Getting anything for him makes it a B+. He wasn't going to succeed here.

Now, we're engaging in talks to land Revis. I think we eventually land him, sooner or later. I'm not sure how much we're going to pay for the best CB in the NFL. I just don't want to give up the farm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lil' Shorty


Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 3152
Location: NC...surrounded by lame Panther fans.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good assessment. I completely agree, except I'd give the Goldson signing an A-. Minus cuz of the size of the contract but it was expected. I also think we land Revis soon. Just don't know when.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7316
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Shorty wrote:
Good assessment. I completely agree, except I'd give the Goldson signing an A-. Minus cuz of the size of the contract but it was expected. I also think we land Revis soon. Just don't know when.


Yeah, I agree to a point, however, Guys like Jaryius Byrd and Earl Thomas are elite Safeties. So is Eric Berry.

Is Goldson in that class? I'm not sure. He's a darn good player coming from a great team, so that is why I gave it a B+. It can turn into a higher grade when we see the product in Tampa.

I like the move and glad we felt strong enough to grab the guy we most coveted. The other guy, Revis, I think it's just a matter of Time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pvsports9


Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Lil' Shorty wrote:
Good assessment. I completely agree, except I'd give the Goldson signing an A-. Minus cuz of the size of the contract but it was expected. I also think we land Revis soon. Just don't know when.


Yeah, I agree to a point, however, Guys like Jaryius Byrd and Earl Thomas are elite Safeties. So is Eric Berry.

Is Goldson in that class? I'm not sure. He's a darn good player coming from a great team, so that is why I gave it a B+. It can turn into a higher grade when we see the product in Tampa.

I like the move and glad we felt strong enough to grab the guy we most coveted. The other guy, Revis, I think it's just a matter of Time.


Yup good assessment. Not elite at all but also not just "good".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andjordand


Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Posts: 556
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think the Bucs will attempt to re-sign E.J. Biggers? Would love to see him in Detroit as a #3 cb (for the right price) what would be a decent contract for him in your opinion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
5nick5


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Does anyone think the Bucs will attempt to re-sign E.J. Biggers? Would love to see him in Detroit as a #3 cb (for the right price) what would be a decent contract for him in your opinion?


Supposedly the Bucs are trying to re-sign him. I think a fair deal for him might be 2-3 mil a year.
_________________


Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt-a-Buc - Johnthan Banks 40 Tackles 2INT 5PD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7316
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5nick5 wrote:
andjordand wrote:
Does anyone think the Bucs will attempt to re-sign E.J. Biggers? Would love to see him in Detroit as a #3 cb (for the right price) what would be a decent contract for him in your opinion?


Supposedly the Bucs are trying to re-sign him. I think a fair deal for him might be 2-3 mil a year.


2 years 4.5 million would be exactly a good ball park number. Biggers is usually in good position, but he lacks ball skills and gives up too many catches. Only reason he wasn't picked on as much is because Anthony Gorrerr and Leonard Johnson found themselves on the #1's and 2s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
5nick5


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
andjordand wrote:
Does anyone think the Bucs will attempt to re-sign E.J. Biggers? Would love to see him in Detroit as a #3 cb (for the right price) what would be a decent contract for him in your opinion?


Supposedly the Bucs are trying to re-sign him. I think a fair deal for him might be 2-3 mil a year.


2 years 4.5 million would be exactly a good ball park number. Biggers is usually in good position, but he lacks ball skills and gives up too many catches. Only reason he wasn't picked on as much is because Anthony Gorrerr and Leonard Johnson found themselves on the #1's and 2s.


I think Biggers can be coached up to be a solid #2 still. Like you said, he gets in good position, now the coaches just need to show him what to do when he gets there. He has fixable flaws.
_________________


Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt-a-Buc - Johnthan Banks 40 Tackles 2INT 5PD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7316
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5nick5 wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
andjordand wrote:
Does anyone think the Bucs will attempt to re-sign E.J. Biggers? Would love to see him in Detroit as a #3 cb (for the right price) what would be a decent contract for him in your opinion?


Supposedly the Bucs are trying to re-sign him. I think a fair deal for him might be 2-3 mil a year.


2 years 4.5 million would be exactly a good ball park number. Biggers is usually in good position, but he lacks ball skills and gives up too many catches. Only reason he wasn't picked on as much is because Anthony Gorrerr and Leonard Johnson found themselves on the #1's and 2s.


I think Biggers can be coached up to be a solid #2 still. Like you said, he gets in good position, now the coaches just need to show him what to do when he gets there. He has fixable flaws.


After 4 years in the league, it's harder to fix something that's been going on consistently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
5nick5


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
andjordand wrote:
Does anyone think the Bucs will attempt to re-sign E.J. Biggers? Would love to see him in Detroit as a #3 cb (for the right price) what would be a decent contract for him in your opinion?


Supposedly the Bucs are trying to re-sign him. I think a fair deal for him might be 2-3 mil a year.


2 years 4.5 million would be exactly a good ball park number. Biggers is usually in good position, but he lacks ball skills and gives up too many catches. Only reason he wasn't picked on as much is because Anthony Gorrerr and Leonard Johnson found themselves on the #1's and 2s.


I think Biggers can be coached up to be a solid #2 still. Like you said, he gets in good position, now the coaches just need to show him what to do when he gets there. He has fixable flaws.


After 4 years in the league, it's harder to fix something that's been going on consistently.


Well take a look at the coaching staffs that he's had to deal with.
_________________


Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt-a-Buc - Johnthan Banks 40 Tackles 2INT 5PD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucsfan333


Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 26667
Location: the mitten
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the ordeal we've gotten ourselves into with Revis. We're now at a "him or nothin'" stage. The Jets have played it exactly right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
REDandPEWTER


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 7316
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
I hate the ordeal we've gotten ourselves into with Revis. We're now at a "him or nothin'" stage. The Jets have played it exactly right.


And so have we. If we don't get Revis we have enough draft picks to compensate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
indifference


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 1827
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all fails with the Revis ordeal, just draft two stud rookie CB's and call it a day.

Growing pains won't be so bad with Goldson back there patrolling the secondary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tallflguy


Joined: 14 Nov 2006
Posts: 1384
Location: Orlando, FL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
If all fails with the Revis ordeal, just draft two stud rookie CB's and call it a day.

Growing pains won't be so bad with Goldson back there patrolling the secondary.


I actually want that to happen like that. This Revis trade talk has been mostly media and fan hype. What fans don't realize that we have to trade off high draft picks and pay the guy around $15 million a year!!!

I'm sorry, but the only positon that I would pay 15 million a year or high is QB. Nobody else deserve to be paid that much I don't care how good he is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
YoungBucs15


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 3772
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Forum: My Free Agency Take thus far. Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
Welp, it's been a crazy past 5 days and the process is still on-going.

Bucs made a huge impact signing S Dashon Goldson to a 5 year41.5 million 22 million guranteed, largest contract for a safety in NFL history. No doubt Goldson is a well rounded player in coverage and in the run and follows the football. Did we overpay? Quite possibly. But he brings physicallity, leadership, and an impact to our defense.

Grade : B+ (only because he's not the best Safety in football)

I liked the move of Jonathon Casilas. Brings competition to the SLB spot and fills depth and special teams.

Grade: B

Kevin Ogeltree i thought was a solid move. He's got a good relationship with Garrett and will definately compete with Underwood for the 3rd WR spot. Good route runner. Crabtree was another solid move as he adds a well rounded option who's reliable as a pass catcher.

Grade: B for each.

Trading Benn was another good move. Getting anything for him makes it a B+. He wasn't going to succeed here.

Now, we're engaging in talks to land Revis. I think we eventually land him, sooner or later. I'm not sure how much we're going to pay for the best CB in the NFL. I just don't want to give up the farm.


Agree with everything you hit on. However Goldson isn't near the highest paid, Berry has that honor. I thought I would add the other elite safeties that you had brought up to compare. I'm sure that when Byrd signs his new contract it will be higher along with Thomas when he gets off his rookie contract.

Eric Berry
7/30/2010Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $34 million guaranteed.

Earl Thomas
8/1/2010: Signed a five-year, $21.1 million contract. The deal includes $12.32 million guaranteed.

Jarius Byrd
Franchise Tag Amount - $10,854,000, $9,095,000

Dashon Goldson
3/13/2013: Signed a five-year, $41.25 million contract. The deal contains $22 million guaranteed
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group