Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aaron Hernandez's Role With The Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here in the neverending quest to "prove" that big, fast "freak" WR's are the greatest thing ever.

I think Hernandez is a little overrated (mostly due to his hands) but to suggest this

Quote:
Hernandez presence is really going to slow us down if he starts taking snaps at outside receiver away from guys like Lloyd, Sanders, or even Jones.

really undercuts any semblance of seriousness in your hypothesis.

There's room for discussion with regards to Hernandez's place in the offense (and the double TE role in general) but this ain't it.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. You're complaining about Hernandez not being explosive? The guy is dynamite with the ball in his hands. The best on the team after the catch and has been since he was drafted. You know I am not one to care about all your Randy posts but this complaining about every player on the team not being able to run a 3.1 40 is getting tiresome to read.

It'd be like me complaining about every Celtics player not being gerald green

ELRammy
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
I don't get it. You're complaining about Hernandez not being explosive? The guy is dynamite with the ball in his hands. The best on the team after the catch and has been since he was drafted. You know I am not one to care about all your Randy posts but this complaining about every player on the team not being able to run a 3.1 40 is getting tiresome to read.

It'd be like me complaining about every Celtics player not being gerald green

He might take snaps away from Donald Jones, hence slowing the offense down.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

IMO, I would rather have Donald Jones out wide, running routes down the field, than Hernandez.

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here in the neverending quest to "prove" that big, fast "freak" WR's are the greatest thing ever.

Moreso that I think - in general - the role of outside receivers is to be down the field play makers. Hernandez isn't that whatsoever.

Quote:
really undercuts any semblance of seriousness in your hypothesis.

I don't think it does at all. Hernandez's only real above average skill is his YAC. He offers very little explosiveness without the ball in his hands. If we have him out wide, and sit a more explosive wide out in favor of him, our offense sees a net loss.

Quote:
There's room for discussion with regards to Hernandez's place in the offense (and the double TE role in general) but this ain't it.

Yes it is. If Gronk is the only one of the two we are going to use like an actual tight end, we miss out. Using Hern as a wide receiver, slot receiver, tail back - whatever is a waste when we have more talented guys at that position.

If I were BB, I'd look into trading Hern before Mallett, or anyone else for that matter.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
but you can't name a single time where Hernandez's matchup ability was lacking against a good defense.

The point is only valid when both Gronk and Hernandez are fully healthy (as Gronk spends most of his time in the traditional TE role).

Furthermore, as referenced relating to Adrian Wilson in another thread - just because we have won in the past doesn't mean we wouldn't improve. But if you insist on an example, I would reference the Jets playoff game from 2010 as the best example of what I mean. Gronk played almost the entire game, and Hernandez played the majority of the game at wide receiver, where he was totally useless as he (like everyone else) gets no vertical separation. If we had subbed Hernandez for an actual wide out that game, we would have been much better off.

The point here isn't difficult to grasp. If it comes down passing a true wide receiver - be it in the draft or FA - because we feel this need to have AH on the field & at WR, that is a problem. We're better off with someone else.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

IMO, I would rather have Donald Jones out wide, running routes down the field, than Hernandez.

This pretty much sums up why it's impossible to take you seriously when it comes to WR's.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I'm amazed they don't have Hernandez split out wide more often. He can basically knock over guys that try to press him at the line and is quick enough to create space on intermediate routes. Plus, he almost never gets doubled because either Gronk or Welker have been on the field with him getting the lion's share of attention.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Avicii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Frankly, I'm amazed they don't have Hernandez split out wide more often. He can basically knock over guys that try to press him at the line and is quick enough to create space on intermediate routes. Plus, he almost never gets doubled because either Gronk or Welker have been on the field with him getting the lion's share of attention.

Teams like the Jets spent time doubling welker, that double attention will be moved elsewhere?
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avicii wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Teams like the Jets spent time doubling welker, that double attention will be moved elsewhere?
If Amendola proves his mettle, it'll be him. Otherwise it'll be Gronk.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

This pretty much sums up why it's impossible to take you seriously when it comes to WR's.

Tell the truth murts. You'd rather have AH running a 7, 8, or 9 route than DJ?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Tell the truth murts. You'd rather have AH running a 7, 8, or 9 route than DJ?

I'd rather have Hernandez anywhere on the field than Donald Jones. There is literally nothing Donald Jones is better at (in the football sense) than Aaron Hernandez except running a little faster in a straight line.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
But if you insist on an example, I would reference the Jets playoff game from 2010 as the best example of what I mean. Gronk played almost the entire game, and Hernandez played the majority of the game at wide receiver, where he was totally useless as he (like everyone else) gets no vertical separation. If we had subbed Hernandez for an actual wide out that game, we would have been much better off.

You might want to reconsider this example. I just watched the first half, and Hernandez was on the field for 9/32 snaps. He was "wide" only once, and that was as the far outside guy of a bunch formation. He was in the slot twice, one of which was a run.

So in the first half, he was a wide or slot receiver for 3/32 plays. He was a true tight end six times, one of which he motioned to fullback.

I didn't get numbers, but it appears to me that Welker, Branch, Tate, Edelman, and even Crumpler were all getting more snaps than Hernandez.

Want me to do the second half?
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps my memory was fuzzy, I was at that game and under the influence, I just remember being highly, highly frustrated by what we were lining up out wide. Totally forgot about Crump
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Perhaps my memory was fuzzy, I was at that game and under the influence, I just remember being highly, highly frustrated by what we were lining up out wide. Totally forgot about Crump
More often than not, Branch and Tate were the outside guys. I can see how you'd be upset, but it's not Hernandez's fault.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His role....to be the Dolphins biggest pain in the [inappropriate/removed]....I hate him and everything he does....please get rid of him Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: