Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno Smith's Value
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odendin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Geno Smith's Value Reply with quote

Has anyone been watching how this Geno Smith interest may soon translate to a Sweepstakes?

After his Pro Day and the insane workout Phillidelphia ran him through, Mayock moved him to a top 10 talent (22-30 previous).

Jacksonville and Phillidelphia are hard for this kid and we could be the beneficiaries.

The Geno talk has me very excited for The Draft now.

The Evolution of Value

March 13.
Jaguars.com isn't ruling out the Jags taking West Virginia QB Geno Smith at No. 2 overall.
It speaks volumes about where the new braintrust stands on Blaine Gabbert. Smith would be a reach at No. 2, but has a brighter future than Gabbert. It's also possible the Jags could feign interest in Smith to create a market for the pick.

March 14
West Virginia QB Geno Smith completed 60 of 64 attempts at the school's pro day on Thursday, including two drops by WR Stedman Bailey.
"Most impressive in the workout was his downfield touch and accuracy, zip on the move and balance throughout his compact release," Jeff Reynolds of CBS Sports writes. Bills general manager Buddy Nix was present as were high-ranking reps for the Chiefs, Jaguars, Raiders, Browns and Cardinals.

March 15
After watching West Virginia's Pro Day, NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes QB Geno Smith is "absolutely" a top 10 talent.
It must have been an amazing workout, since Mayock said Smith's draft value was between picks 20 and 32 just last week. He said that the quarterback's footwork looked much better and the intermediate throws on inside and outside breaking routes couldn't have been better. However, Mayock has concerns about Smith taking too many sacks

March 15
ESPN's Ron Jaworski said that the Eagles put West Virginia QB Geno Smith through a "rough workout."
"He threw almost a hundred balls on Monday," Jaworski explained. "He said a lot of those were the movement-type throws -- sprinting right, sprinting left, coming back against the grain. A lot of those types of throws that we know in Chip Kelly's offense, he's going to demand mobility from the quarterback." The Eagles, along with the Jaguars, seem to be showing the most interest at this time.

March 18
When asked what the Eagles' draft preparation means come April 25, NFL Films' Greg Cosell answered that it "all comes down to their feelings on QB Geno Smith."
"If they believe Geno Smith is that guy, they are going to draft him at four," Cosell added. He made sure to point out that Chip Kelly's offense at Oregon used a running threat at the position, but when the head coach was at New Hampshire "that wasn't the case." Smith to the Eagles is certainly gaining steam, however.

March 18
West Virginia QB Geno Smith is scheduled to meet with the Buffalo Bills on Friday.
The Eagles and Jaguars have shown the most interest in Geno thus far, but more buzz around the Bills possible decision will likely surface after Friday's workout. Many have connected Ryan Nassib and Doug Marrone to reunite in Buffalo, but Marrone knows Smith's talent well after coaching against him.

March 18
West Virginia QB Geno Smith will have a private workout with the Cleveland Browns.
Browns CEO Joe Banner added that the team hasn't ruled out taking a quarterback in the draft and declined to discuss rumored interest in New England Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett. The Browns may be in need of a quarterback despite selecting Brandon Weeden last year in the first round.

March 19
SI.com's Don Banks writes that the Jaguars were "more impressed than they were prepared to be" when they worked out West Virginia QB Geno Smith.
"I sat down one on one with him and I just wanted to see how he would be once he entered our building, our stadium," Bradley told Banks. "Are people going to gravitate towards him? Is he going to be a leader? Is he a guy that everybody will back and will he allow that to happen? I wanted to see how competitive is he going to be. Is he going to step into the building and it's like his team and somebody has to take it away from him? Really it was just to get a better feel for his mindset, and we had a great talk. I was very impressed with him at the meeting. I had high expectations, but I think he exceeded them. I came out of it feeling even better."

I'm reading interested teams being

1. (+1) Jacksonville (their interest creates the possibility of a trade)
2. (-1) Philidelphia (move up)
3. Buffalo (move up)
4. Cleveland (I don't think they are trade partners as much as if Geno falls in their lap-type interest)

Last edited by odendin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
odendin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/future post/
Taylor916

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent story on why we must draft Geno Smith if noone is willing to pay up to trade with us so we can trade back.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2013/03/15/kc-chiefs-must-take-geno-smith-if-they-cant-find-a-trade-partner/?utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Hopefully that link works.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, leaves me with a couple thoughts.

1. Thank god we were there, was almost afraid we'd make it too clear we weren't interested after some of the pre-combine comments from Dorsey and Reid.

2. I think what the talking heads are saying us exactly what we knew.Good arm strength, mobile enough, good touch etc.

3. I think Geno will/would be best served to sit a year or two

4. This is EXACTLY what we need to happen. Him performing better, his stock rising means our asking price can go up. If teams think we're interested, and know Jacksonville is, it stands to reason, they're going to go where they need to, to guarantee they get him...which is our pick. Now I'm not expecting an RGIII offer, but AV additional 1st and second this year is becoming believable.

5. It's also just great, that if we feel he could be the guy, that we simply draft him, as we've filled so many hooks through free agency.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link didn't with for me man
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags showing up for his workout in full force was best thing that could have happened for us.
Mongo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
Jags showing up for his workout in full force was best thing that could have happened for us.

Amen. I'm not sure PHI is really a player in this, but BUF is. If JAX is not a player, OAK is. BUF has to jump them.

KC trades R1.01 to BUF for R1.08, R2, and a 14R2 or 3. They basically get back everything given up for Alex Smith.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Good post, leaves me with a couple thoughts.

1. Thank god we were there, was almost afraid we'd make it too clear we weren't interested after some of the pre-combine comments from Dorsey and Reid.

2. I think what the talking heads are saying us exactly what we knew.Good arm strength, mobile enough, good touch etc.

3. I think Geno will/would be best served to sit a year or two

4. This is EXACTLY what we need to happen. Him performing better, his stock rising means our asking price can go up. If teams think we're interested, and know Jacksonville is, it stands to reason, they're going to go where they need to, to guarantee they get him...which is our pick. Now I'm not expecting an RGIII offer, but AV additional 1st and second this year is becoming believable.

5. It's also just great, that if we feel he could be the guy, that we simply draft him, as we've filled so many hooks through free agency.

He doesn't need to sit...that's crazy talk. He's more ready than Tannehill. He'll be fine.

If we don't get a trade we have to draft him and hold him for ransom.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if we can't trade back we probably should draft Geno Smith and then just trade him to the highest bidder. I don't know why we didn't do this with Mark Sanchez a few years ago.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
Yeah if we can't trade back we probably should draft Geno Smith and then just trade him to the highest bidder. I don't know why we didn't do this with Mark Sanchez a few years ago.

I don't like this idea at all. If no one is willing to offer decent value in order to trade up to get him, you don't draft him and then expect to get MORE value when you have zero leverage. If you can't move down for even decent value and you draft Smith, you keep him.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Taylor916

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, you were right DT, i can be a good poster lol. The link works for me. I am sorry if it doesnt for everyone but its an arrowhead addict post.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

I don't like this idea at all. If no one is willing to offer decent value in order to trade up to get him, you don't draft him and then expect to get MORE value when you have zero leverage. If you can't move down for even decent value and you draft Smith, you keep him.

Well yeah, we would only draft Smith based on how high his stock is. If he for sure isn't going to fall past Buffalo I don't see us losing out that much on a trade and we'd probably get what we want anyways. Move back to pick 8 and pick whoever's left of Ansah, Jordan, Joeckel, or Fisher. The only problem is that all four of those guys could be gone.
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He better go somewhere with a great OL and run game. The times I've watched him play he seems to hold the ball way too long and take some needless sacks. I don't know just seems sometimes he has trouble processing information and being decisive. I think he actually would benefit from and needs to sit at least a year. The speed of the nfl gonna throw him for a loop.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel2692 wrote:
He better go somewhere with a great OL and run game. The times I've watched him play he seems to hold the ball way too long and take some needless sacks. I don't know just seems sometimes he has trouble processing information and being decisive. I think he actually would benefit from and needs to sit at least a year. The speed of the nfl gonna throw him for a loop.

I'd lean more towards him waiting as long as possible looking downfield and sometimes it catches up to him. He needs to recognize his legs as a weapon just a little bit better. Not a lot better because I love that he keeps looking downfield to make bigger plays.. but similar to his coaches in college wanted.. he will need to use his legs more than he does.

I do think we should still draft him. I thin k it's hilarious Mayock is now calling him a top 10 pick, he was all along and it was never a question in my view.

Pick him and groom him like Rodgers was (Rodgers sat for 3 years!).

Trade the pick for someone that wants him really badly and needs to get in front of Jax and Oak (meaning Philly, Ari or Buf) but that would need o blow us away in my opinion.

I like the moves the Chiefs hav e made in FA and feel they are nearing the point of being able to take him and sit him and still compete just fine.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather let someone else draft him, after trading up to our spot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: