Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers sign TE Matt Spaeth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisororke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
I am seriously questioning the front office. This is rediculous.

Haha the ole standard Pittsburgh ohh I trust the FO is finally going to fall just like the fall of Bill Polian as a great GM. But Polian is six time GM of the year. He made three good picks Manning, Edge, and Marvin Harrison and every other pick has been a bust. Look at the colts 1st rd picks. Colbert will be gone soon enough

I would also add that the FO has been on a steady decline since Art Rooney II has been calling the shots since post-XLIII. He's obviously calling the shots with unless you have ties to Pittsburgh then you are out. Pittsburgh people hire Pittsburgh people

On Spaeth, dude is a joke. But hey he can block better than Pope. These guys don't know their arse from first base. Buncha clowns
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisororke wrote:
jcm412 wrote:

Haha the ole standard Pittsburgh ohh I trust the FO is finally going to fall just like the fall of Bill Polian as a great GM. But Polian is six time GM of the year. He made three good picks Manning, Edge, and Marvin Harrison and every other pick has been a bust. Look at the colts 1st rd picks. Colbert will be gone soon enough

I would also add that the FO has been on a steady decline since Art Rooney II has been calling the shots since post-XLIII. He's obviously calling the shots with unless you have ties to Pittsburgh then you are out. Pittsburgh people hire Pittsburgh people

On Spaeth, dude is a joke. But hey he can block better than Pope. These guys don't know their arse from first base. Buncha clowns

Until I'm staring down our final 53 in September, I'm not passing judgment on any of these moves...Gay, Spaeth, DJ, Burress, Warren, Foote, etc...not a single one of these guys can't be dumped later! The moves won't incur a devastating blow to our cap.

Why go into the draft with a "bare cupboard"? And how long have we actually been in FA? Days? Steelers are known for not overspending and not over committing in FA. The dust will settle and if there are depth roster guys to be had on the cheap for insurance, they'll likely sign one or two more. I mean, let's look at the signings.

Foote, Gay, Burress, Warren and Spaeth could all be counted on to start if needed. But does anyone believe our FO is depending on all of them to start from day one? No.

And how about our losses, you say?

Harrison wasn't in on what, but what, a little more than half of the snaps last year?

Wallace? Had his lowest production since drafted.

Lewis? FINALLY had ONE good year and the FO is supposed to break the bank on him?

Colon? Mundy? Enough said...

Mendy? Injured, disgruntled and benched. I'd be shocked if we didn't sign a RB on the cheap in a few weeks.

My point is that I think the FO has done ok w/ limited resources. we could have broken the bank for a top tier FA, then had no money to sign the role players. Anyone want to go in the draft w/ Spence and Timmons as our starters? How 'bout DJ and Pope? So we push hard for Lewis and have Ike, Lewis, Allen and Brown, but then we just have a giant flashing sign to the rest of the league telling them exactly where we 'll be drafting in rds 1 and 2...TE and ILB, but with Ike, Allen, Gay, and Brown we still have a decent enough CB stable and can field starters at TE and ILB, if only for a weeks.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing some points here, but I'm not overly concerned with the offseason to date...now that I have a chance to step back and look at it.

Fire away!

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reply Ward.

I wish all these self hating Steeler fans would just quit watching the team like they are constantly threatening to do.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like we have multiple strains of herpes or something, with the resigning of Gay and Spaeth

This is what I mean by "security blankets"
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
it's like we have multiple strains of herpes or something, with the resigning of Gay and Spaeth

This is what I mean by "security blankets"

Maybe our strain wasn't large enough the first time!!
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
chrisororke wrote:
jcm412 wrote:

Until I'm staring down our final 53 in September, I'm not passing judgment on any of these moves...Gay, Spaeth, DJ, Burress, Warren, Foote, etc...not a single one of these guys can't be dumped later! The moves won't incur a devastating blow to our cap.

Very well said. Free Agency is only a few days old and we have about five weeks to the draft. The sky is not falling yet. We have salary cap restrictions because we signed Big Ben, Woodley, Troy, Timmons, Antonio Brown, Harrison, and Colon to long term deals as core players. Harrison and Colon were cut and as Ward said these playes can be cut without putting a dent in our cap.

Why go into the draft with a "bare cupboard"? And how long have we actually been in FA? Days? Steelers are known for not overspending and not over committing in FA. The dust will settle and if there are depth roster guys to be had on the cheap for insurance, they'll likely sign one or two more. I mean, let's look at the signings.

Ever wonder why these players are so quick to come back to Pittsburgh? Gay, Spaeth, Foote, McFadden, Randle El, and others left for greener playing fields ($$$$$$$). Yet they are all quick to come back to cheap Pittsburgh. Very Happy

Foote, Gay, Burress, Warren and Spaeth could all be counted on to start if needed. But does anyone believe our FO is depending on all of them to start from day one? No.

All of these signings were for depth. If I recall Greg Warren was a long snapper and never played any snaps on the OL. I think he is viewed as special teams competition.
And how about our losses, you say?

Harrison wasn't in on what, but what, a little more than half of the snaps last year?

50/50 Loyalty vs. business. I love Harrison as a player, but he is on the downside of his career. He has a year or two but because of the cap, we ncan't aford the luxury of keeping him at $6.5 million a year.

Wallace? Had his lowest production since drafted.

I think Wallace has potential, but he has not shown it to its fullest since week 9 of 2011. He was on pace for 2000 yards receiving and then teams adjusted to Wallace. I will say that Haley's offense hurt his numbers some, but so did the lack of concentration, focus and multiple drops. Coach Tomlin nicknamed him "One Trick." Seems like there is a little truth to that. One Trick needs to learn how to do some things besides run past defenses to be a complete WR. 5 years $60 million no thanks. I hate to see his speed go, but not at that price.

Lewis? FINALLY had ONE good year and the FO is supposed to break the bank on him?

Lewis is a player that I would have gambled n. I like his upside and I think his best football is head of him. The sad part for us is that it took him until last year to show his worth. He peaked at the right time and cashed in on playing for his hometown team.

Colon? Mundy? Enough said...

Very Happy

Mendy? Injured, disgruntled and benched. I'd be shocked if we didn't sign a RB on the cheap in a few weeks.

I would like to see LaRod Stephens-Howling. He is a different back than Redman and Dwyer and offers what we hoped that Rainey would be.

My point is that I think the FO has done ok w/ limited resources. we could have broken the bank for a top tier FA, then had no money to sign the role players.

Well said. That's it in a nutshell.

Anyone want to go in the draft w/ Spence and Timmons as our starters? How 'bout DJ and Pope? So we push hard for Lewis and have Ike, Lewis, Allen and Brown, but then we just have a giant flashing sign to the rest of the league telling them exactly where we 'll be drafting in rds 1 and 2...TE and ILB, but with Ike, Allen, Gay, and Brown we still have a decent enough CB stable and can field starters at TE and ILB, if only for a weeks.

I am not a Gay fan as a starter, but he is actually pretty good as a nickel or dime back. He could provide better depth in the slot than we had last year. Gay can cover the Courtney Hawkins and Alexanders that hurt the Steelers at times last year because Allen was moved to a starting spot and Brown could not cover those receivers as well.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing some points here, but I'm not overly concerned with the offseason to date...now that I have a chance to step back and look at it.

Fire away!

Well written and well thought out. I think you completely encompassed the BIG PICTURE which mny fans are not at this point. Every offseason we have front office champs, dream teams and genius signings. The Lombardi is awarded in February of the end of the year and not March at the beginning. This is a marathon and not a sprint. You sign huge contracts and you have no money fordepth. The championship formula is still to build through the draft and retool through free agency. The steelers have made some draft mistakes, but this is an art not a science.

The Steelers finished 8 - 8 and they are certainly not satisifed with that, but you have to be realistic about rebuilding. They were 12 - 4 and about as good as they were when they were 8-8. Great teams transition well, but it does not mean that goes without some pain as well. At the end of the year, getting the 7th trophy or not is what will measure the teams success. Since 2004 the Steelers have won 2 Super Bowls, played in 3 Super Bowls and were in the play-offs 6 times in 9 years.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Last edited by Steeler Hitman on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
I wish all these self hating Steeler fans would just quit watching the team like they are constantly threatening to do.

Or just jump ship already like they're sure to do if we have a losing season... go bother another fanbase.... seem like people are jumping off the Ravens wagon, get on that one.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
ImissEricGreen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I swear to God if Kemoeatu is coming back I'm done. Razz
No, only if he bring Mewelde in to replace Rainey.
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Le-Morte-dJames wrote:
Wow... Still don't get why they got rid of Saunders to keep Pope... Now we bring back the person we replaced with Saunders.

Would have rather signed Kellen Davis

Saunders was suspended for 4 games, and since he hadnt really shown much, they cut him and signed Pope. And they also reportedly like Paulsen.

Id rather have Saunders than Spaeth, but Saunders has never proven to be any better than Spaeth, Paulsen or Pope. Saunders is all potential and really didnt do anything to secure a roster spot.

Yea i think they like Paulson as well. They would have cut Paulson and kept Saunders (after the suspension) and put Paulson on the PS had they not been high on him.

I don't think Speath is a bad TE. To me he is a solid blocker and will catch a TD every now and then. I think he is fine as a backup. I know he is not the guy you want to start until Heath gets back but I don't think he's that bad. One report I saw had Speath rated as the best blocking TE in football. Whether that is true or not beats me but not every team can be like the Patriots and have two great TEs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dcash4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one, ever wrote:
That's it! I have had enough of these winning ways! Seven years, 3 Superbowl appearances and 2 rings? I'm becoming a browns fan!
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
No one, ever wrote:
That's it! I have had enough of these winning ways! Seven years, 3 Superbowl appearances and 2 rings? I'm becoming a browns fan!

The funny thing is, there have been at least 2 to say it in the last week on this board.

I have a sneaky suspicion we're getting trolled by all these "new" posters.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm surprised they haven't re-signed Leonard Pope. He's a good blocker and a tall redzone prospect for Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh C Smith wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Le-Morte-dJames wrote:
Wow... Still don't get why they got rid of Saunders to keep Pope... Now we bring back the person we replaced with Saunders.

Would have rather signed Kellen Davis

Saunders was suspended for 4 games, and since he hadnt really shown much, they cut him and signed Pope. And they also reportedly like Paulsen.

Id rather have Saunders than Spaeth, but Saunders has never proven to be any better than Spaeth, Paulsen or Pope. Saunders is all potential and really didnt do anything to secure a roster spot.

Yea i think they like Paulson as well. They would have cut Paulson and kept Saunders (after the suspension) and put Paulson on the PS had they not been high on him.

I don't think Speath is a bad TE. To me he is a solid blocker and will catch a TD every now and then. I think he is fine as a backup. I know he is not the guy you want to start until Heath gets back but I don't think he's that bad. One report I saw had Speath rated as the best blocking TE in football. Whether that is true or not beats me but not every team can be like the Patriots and have two great TEs.
yep, I definitely agree and I still believe Miller will be back eventually and he'll be PUP'd like Mendenhall last year, miss a few games but play most of the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 4 tightends is enough: Miller, DJ Johnson, Speath, and Paulson.

It's a shame 2 of them aren't very good at all and the other one has potential but hasn't shown much.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
I think 4 tightends is enough: Miller, DJ Johnson, Speath, and Paulson.

It's a shame 2 of them aren't very good at all and the other one has potential but hasn't shown much.
very true. I just like having a 6'8 TE even if he's never shown much, he had a few TDs last year.

Paulson could be the future though like everyone has said. He's got good speed, good hands and is a willing blocker.

Remember this block/hit on Antonio Brown's punt return last year?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/9/12/3321804/steelers-gifs-week-1-broncos-david-paulson-hit-denver-nate-irving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: