Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northernpackfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
gbpacker40 wrote:
AaronCharles wrote:
10 wins, max.

Not an indictment on TT, but currently, we are losing talent faster than we are gaining it.

If we can resign guys, we should be alright in 2014.

Driver - Non contributor
Woodson - Penalty machine and played 7 games
Jennings - 36 rec 366yds played 8 games
Crabtree - Role Player, even if he was Awesome
Walden - Role Player w/ limited starting capabilities

Missing anyone?
I just don't see these losses as "critical".
Then throw in the fact we are regaining Bishop, Bulaga, Sherrod and Perry from injury and I would say we've gained more then we've lost just by getting healthy.

This.

While I agree that the return of those 4 will be a major improvement, its not logical to think that the Packers aren't going to suffer more injuries this year. As has been mentioned in other threads, going through the season injury-free is very rare, and that makes position depth critical. And while the injuries seem to have affected a lot of our key players, there really isn't any starter that the Packers can afford to lose, because with the loss of Woodson, Jennings, and Walden, their depth is much more shallow. While those guys weren't the best on the team at their positions, and they were going to be very expensive, they did provide incredible depth. When Jennings went down last year, Cobb stepped up, and Jones had a breakout year. If one of our 3 top WRs goes down this year, and there is no Jennings to fill in, does anyone really expect Boykin or Ross to adequately replace them?
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me preface this... We were NFC North Champs in 2012 at 11-5. We faced adversity early and often. Numerous injuries and even had a game completely taken from us.

We entered this offseason with a few question marks. Some will be answered internally and others through the draft.

Defensively, we get a lot of internal help in my opinion. The comebacks of Desmond Bishop, DJ Smith and Nick Perry are crucial to the success of the defense. The progress of Hayward, McMillian, Daniels, Worthy, Moses and Manning are things to keep an eye on. Neal finally appears to have his issues behind him as he was productive last season. Morgan Burnett appears ready to take his game to the next level. He's a young guy with a lot of experience. Johnny Jolly is a complete wildcard. He could return to form or he could totally bust. He already is familiar with the defense, so that's a plus. There is a lot of reason for optimism with this young group. An impact player through the draft coupled with the internal help and development alone will make us better next year. Lets remember that we run a complicated defense, we knew coming in to last year we'd take our lumps with this defensive unit. Just so happened it happened to the tune of nearly 600 yards in a postseason game.

Losses: Erik Walden, Brad Jones - Both are completely replaceable guys, we already have their replacements on the roster. IMO, getting Walden off the field make this defense better right there.

Offensively, it's really simple to me. How can we improve our running game? It's been atrocious and last year was a joke. Whether it was the RB, OL or a combination, something needs to change. RB by committee hasn't worked for us either. Improving the running game changes this offense immensely. It's the only way to solve our woes with the 'two high'. It will improve our play action as well. Play action is critical to our passing success. So it really comes down to who is carrying the rock? On the roster, only guy I like is Harris. We've seen the Green, Starks, Kuhn and Saine show. It didn't work. Guys had opportunities and it hasn't worked out. Internally, our defensive line should be better with a healthy Bulaga. He's All Pro caliber. If Sherrod is healthy, he adds first round talent to the line. Barclay, Van Roten and Datko all enter their second full season as well. This offense is really close to putting up big points again because the passing weapons are there.

Losses - Greg Jennings, Tom Crabtree- the Packers have gone 13-3 without Jennings. We aren't short on playmakers at WR. Crabtree was a backup and ST guy. Replacements already exist on the roster for both guys.

Top Needs In Order - RB, S, DL, OL

Lets all calm down here. Nobody wins anything during FA. Lets wait and see what TT does during the draft. The Packers are flying under the radar right now and it's a good place to be. My expectations are that you will see a better product on the field in 2013. I fully expect us to win the division and be a strong competitor in the NFC. We haven't gotten any worse from a year ago. Internally we will get better and we will bring in a couple impact guys through the draft.
persiandud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
persiandud wrote:
I expect this team to win the division and contend for a Super Bowl. This isn't any different than the last 3-4 years. This team absolutely has the talent to go all the way. Flying under the radar coming into the year ought to help as well, as everyone will be focused on the Seahawks and Niners.

The biggest determinants for ultimate success will be the maturation and development of key players on both sides of the ball and the health of our squad. I'm inclined to think we've just been very unlucky when it comes to injuries and having Perry/Bulaga/Sherrod/Bishop back is a huge talent infusion right off the bat. Hayward and Cobb will continue to get better. Our offensive line will not give up that many sacks again (MM is going to make this a focus going into next year). And I'm confident TT will turn into a wizard and bring in more young talent.

The player I'll be watching most is Perry. Before he went down Matthews had a ton of sacks to start the year thanks in part to the added pressure by Perry on the other side. Having consistent pressure from someone other than Clay is huge; Clay is our best defensive player by far and he needs help.

Looking at the rest of the NFC...the Seahawks frighten me. They have killed FA, adding an elite talent like Harvin makes them the top team IMO. Wilson is the real deal and with Wilson/Lynch/Harvin I think they will be a top ten offense by the end of the year. And then their defense...what a nasty unit this is now, with them adding two of the top pass rushers on the market to quell the absence of Chris Clemons' torn ACL. Rotation of Irvin/Bennett/Avril plus elite secondary...scary team.

SF didn't even have Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James and they still ran over everyone. Kaepernick is only going to get better...look what Harbaugh can do with Alex Smith. Another offseason under Harbaugh and the sky is the limit for this kid. And then they have 5 picks in the top 93.... Shocked

Predictions at the moment:

1. Seattle 13-3
2. Green Bay 12-4
3. Atlanta 11-5
4. New York 10-6
5. San Francisco 12-4
6. New Orleans 10-6

Loss in NFC Championship against Seattle or SF. I just can't see us beating those teams right now Sad

I think SF is better than Seattle right now and Seattle doesn't have a first. Yes, if NO can shore up their D and getting Payton back they will be in the mix too.

Yeah NO should be playing pissed next year, and Payton is a great coach. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a deep run and that becomes one of the bigger storylines of next year. THE SAINTS REVENGE Laughing

I give Seattle the edge because they dominated SF in December. I honestly thought they were the best team entering the playoffs. There was a stretch of 3 games where they scored 150 points total. Shocked

Walterfootball had a good point, Goodell kinda screwed the Hawks by making them fly to the other side of the country and play at 10am. West coast teams should play at night, not in the morning after a long flight.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle was only great at home, it's been that way for a long time. They were a good team last year, but not the best going into the playoffs. This year I give them a much better shot, no way they lose with HFA.

By Cherepinski's logic east coast teams should only play early when on the west coast.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome quote right here:

Vic Ketchman of packers.com on Free Agency pretty good post right here:

"Free agency has become its own season. With every dollar spent, the fans cry, ďSpend more.Ē Fans grow wild with excitement for players that, by and large, are castoffs from other teams. The volume of questions Iíve received to my inbox this week is right behind the week of last yearís Seattle game. People are experiencing great angst, and itís so unnecessary because, historically, free agency does not deliver near the impact a lot of people think it does. Whatís coming up at the end of April does. If you wanna get antsy about something, get antsy about the draft because what happens in the draft will shape the future of franchises for the next 10 years."

Name one player that was really wanted by their team to be kept and wasn't this season? If a team wants to keep a player in this day and age they can.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Awesome quote right here:

Vic Ketchman of packers.com on Free Agency pretty good post right here:

"Free agency has become its own season. With every dollar spent, the fans cry, ďSpend more.Ē Fans grow wild with excitement for players that, by and large, are castoffs from other teams. The volume of questions Iíve received to my inbox this week is right behind the week of last yearís Seattle game. People are experiencing great angst, and itís so unnecessary because, historically, free agency does not deliver near the impact a lot of people think it does. Whatís coming up at the end of April does. If you wanna get antsy about something, get antsy about the draft because what happens in the draft will shape the future of franchises for the next 10 years."

Name one player that was really wanted by their team to be kept and wasn't this season? If a team wants to keep a player in this day and age they can.

As I said before there is a reason why most guys are FAs. They are either long in the tooth, have too big a salary for their contributions or are easily replaced. Do we really want to throw good money at other teams' castoffs? Last season TT dabbled in FA and only one guy made the roster and that fella fizzled out before the season ended and eventually got benched.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something interesting I noticed that statistically occurred the past four seasons.

Super Bowl winners:
2012: 12th in yards/carry.
2011: 32nd in yards/carry.
2010: 25th in yards/carry.
2009: 7th in yards/carry.

Super Bowl winners:
2012: 12th best defense in points/game (Packers finished in front)
2011: 25th best defense in points/game (Packers finished in front)
2010: TT's defense was #2 in points/game
2009: 20th best defense in points/game (Packers finished in front)

Our defense should only improve this year with the younger guys gaining experience and getting some injured guys back healthy.

I have high expectations for this team. Ultimate goal is always a Superb Owl but that won't always happen and sometimes fans forget to realize that. Still don't see us lower than 10 win whatsoever unless Rodgers goes down with an injury for an extended period of time.

My prediction: 12-4 with another realistic shot at a title. Think we at least make the divisional round of the playoffs again.

pf9 wrote:
This should definitely be McCarthy's swan song. If we're lucky Bret Bielema will come back to this state and coach the Pack next year.
nmesser13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking we end up with 5, maybe 6 losses. I can't see us mopping up the NFC North next year, not that we are going down, but the other teams seem to be improving. So I see 1-2 losses in our division.

Then we have a pretty tough road schedule, at SF, NYG, CINN. 1, maybe 2 losses there, Also can't see us sweeping PITT, ATL, WASH. The Redskin game will depand on when we paly them. the earlier the better. Then it seems we always have that one dreadfull game we lose that we shouldn't even let the other team on the field with us.
Blink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very confident about our SB chances as of right now. I feel like we didn't match up well with the top NFC teams last post season, and so far that match up looks even worse. I was really hoping we could add a piece or two to free ourselves up in the draft, but alas we're going to be entirely dependent on the draft shoring up our increasing list of needs.

DL depth was poor last year and nothing has changed.

Pass pro and run blocking was poor, same group of players/coaches.

RB group was an embarassment, same players/coaches.

We'll be getting guys back, but we had the same problems prior to the injuries so it's not like you can claim that will fix the issues.

Anything can happen, who knows what the draft brings? All I know is I assumed we would lose to either SF or SEA last post season, and so far we've only lost GJ/Wood/Driver/Crabtree while they are gaining guys like Harvin. I know its not madden so that doesn't guarantee anything, but right now it doesn't look so good. We're an injury or two away from having street free agents starting again at key positions.

I'm really hoping Ted has something up his sleeve, because if we don't knock this draft out of the park I see us as more of playoff contenders than superbowl contenders.
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
I'm not very confident about our SB chances as of right now. I feel like we didn't match up well with the top NFC teams last post season, and so far that match up looks even worse. I was really hoping we could add a piece or two to free ourselves up in the draft, but alas we're going to be entirely dependent on the draft shoring up our increasing list of needs.

DL depth was poor last year and nothing has changed.

Pass pro and run blocking was poor, same group of players/coaches.

RB group was an embarassment, same players/coaches.

We'll be getting guys back, but we had the same problems prior to the injuries so it's not like you can claim that will fix the issues.

Anything can happen, who knows what the draft brings? All I know is I assumed we would lose to either SF or SEA last post season, and so far we've only lost GJ/Wood/Driver/Crabtree while they are gaining guys like Harvin. I know its not madden so that doesn't guarantee anything, but right now it doesn't look so good. We're an injury or two away from having street free agents starting again at key positions.

I'm really hoping Ted has something up his sleeve, because if we don't knock this draft out of the park I see us as more of playoff contenders than superbowl contenders.

I'm willing to bet Ted taked both a D-lineman and a RB early.
And we will be getting back Bulaga (a big part of our o line) and Sherrod who has all the potential to be a great LT in the league.

With Rodgers we'll always be SB contenders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanFran showed us that if Aaron isn't at Godgers level we are in trouble.

Bulaga coming back will help, although he was having a down year before he went. Even when we had him in our OL was a weakness for the most part. Not sure where we need the help the most there, but its been a weakness for far too long.

Sherrod hasn't played a snap since a gruesome injury, let's wait and see if he even is able to play again before we start talking about how great he can be.

I'm not saying the sky is falling. I think we'll win the division again, but our giant glaring problems from last season haven't yet even been addressed what so ever.

We need talent at several positions, with only so many high picks. If we only use the draft to restock talent we better be damn sure we hit on those picks, because if we miss it will be too late to fix. Everyone wants to say building exclusively through the draft is a conservative and safe way to build, but for teams in our situation I think it's just as risky to depend entirely on a new draft class, especially when Aaron is only in his prime for so long.
bigKev2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel if we address the hitting problem we shouldnt be concerned
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned with guys in the secondary "not being in the right place" than in the "hitting problem."

Scheme understanding and chemistry with the rest of the guys in the backfield will go a long way. This is a fairly complex defense from the perspective of the guys in the defensive backfield. I don't think constantly bringing in new people, seeing them struggle, then bringing in more people is the answer.

Maybe you have to simplify it a bit for the youngsters so they can stop thinking and play faster, or maybe they'll just get it. I'm not saying "don't take a safety" but I don't think the issue is especially dire.
bigKev2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
I'm more concerned with guys in the secondary "not being in the right place" than in the "hitting problem."

Scheme understanding and chemistry with the rest of the guys in the backfield will go a long way. This is a fairly complex defense from the perspective of the guys in the defensive backfield. I don't think constantly bringing in new people, seeing them struggle, then bringing in more people is the answer.

Maybe you have to simplify it a bit for the youngsters so they can stop thinking and play faster, or maybe they'll just get it. I'm not saying "don't take a safety" but I don't think the issue is especially dire.

I just think that the 49ers put us in display as not as hard hitting as we were two years ago. We proved we can hit the way we held Peterson under 100 yards but to fall apart a week later hurts. I do think a pass rush would help out too
RCobb18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect us to be a lot better in 2013 even with the lose of GJ and DD I think our offense will still be elite and I am excited to see what additions are made through the draft on offense.

We will be a lot better on defense also, Bishop will be back and I expect a lot of the other young guys on defense to get better (Hayward, Daniels, Perry).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: