Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Aldon Smith Shoulder Injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Aldon Smith Shoulder Injury Reply with quote

I thought since there is limited FA news, might as well start a thread for this.

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
On Aldon Smith: His torn labrum landed him on Injury Report Weeks 12-17. Had no sacks in last 6 games. Timetable for recovery unclear

Looks like the injury was more serious than reported. Most of us thought that anyways and it makes sense why he wasn't nearly as explosive with his pass rush moves.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aldon Smith Shoulder Injury Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I thought since there is limited FA news, might as well start a thread for this.

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
On Aldon Smith: His torn labrum landed him on Injury Report Weeks 12-17. Had no sacks in last 6 games. Timetable for recovery unclear

Looks like the injury was more serious than reported. Most of us thought that anyways and it makes sense why he wasn't nearly as explosive with his pass rush moves.
How much of a recovery period does a torn labrum require? He's gotta be fully recovered by TC if not now I assume. Where you at Dr. Struby...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be ready for TC, but why is he doing MMA with a injured shoulder?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

49ers OLB Aldon Smith underwent shoulder surgery for a torn labrum after the season.
Smith was listed on the injury report with a shoulder injury multiple times during the season, but never missed a game. After racking up 19.5 sacks in the first 13 games, Smith put up an 0-for over the last six, including the playoffs. Smith should be ready for training camp, but he'll take it easy this spring.

roto
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it was obvious to me how limited he was, but some kept going on and on about the Justin Smith factor. Not that it doesn't help, but on most of Smith's sacks, it was him beating his guy one on one. Another thing, our defense didn't only slip because Justin Smith got hurt, but equally due to Aldon being limited.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aldon Smith Shoulder Injury Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

How much of a recovery period does a torn labrum require? He's gotta be fully recovered by TC if not now I assume. Where you at Dr. Struby...

I don't work with labra at all, but the general rule is that it takes about five weeks for the labrum to re-attach to the bone and another 4-6 weeks to regain the strength necessary to handle contact. As always, it also depends on the individual and the severity of the injury. He played through it and I would bet that he is a natural healing machine, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
neezy007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Aldon Smith Shoulder Injury Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
Psychlone wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

I don't work with labra at all, but the general rule is that it takes about five weeks for the labrum to re-attach to the bone and another 4-6 weeks to regain the strength necessary to handle contact. As always, it also depends on the individual and the severity of the injury. He played through it and I would bet that he is a natural healing machine, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The benefits of being a freak athlete and being young.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the team keeps so quiet about stuff like this is beyond me. It was clear he was hurt. So maybe they didn't want to talk about it during the season, but why keep quiet after the season was over?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Why the team keeps so quiet about stuff like this is beyond me. It was clear he was hurt. So maybe they didn't want to talk about it during the season, but why keep quiet after the season was over?

After the Gregg Williams speech, it seems natural that all teams would be wary of disclosing specifics on injuries. It doesn't give any competitive advantage to disclose injuries, and can potentially offer a disadvantage, if other players were cheap enough to specifically target injured parts.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

After the Gregg Williams speech, it seems natural that all teams would be wary of disclosing specifics on injuries. It doesn't give any competitive advantage to disclose injuries, and can potentially offer a disadvantage, if other players were cheap enough to specifically target injured parts.

I mostly meant not talking about the surgery. I think it was reported yesterday, but he had the surgery a couple weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I mostly meant not talking about the surgery. I think it was reported yesterday, but he had the surgery a couple weeks ago.

Maybe nobody thought to ask? I'm pretty sure they're required by the NFL to disclose such information. But it's just our SOP to volunteer that information. If no one specifically asks: "Did Aldon undergo shoulder surgery?", then they wouldn't go out of their way to release the information.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: