Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats sign former Cards DB Adrian Wilson to 3-year, $5M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím surprised people arenít a little higher on this signing. It effectively eliminates our need for a cover linebacker. I presume heíll be used exclusively in the box anyway, so I really like this as a move.
Jmacz008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something, haven't we had a huge problem covering bigger tight ends over the last few years, Scott Chandler comes to mind.

Adrian Wilson might not be able to cover Mike Wallace deep, but I think we can count on him to take out a lot of tight ends.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Iím surprised people arenít a little higher on this signing. It effectively eliminates our need for a cover linebacker. I presume heíll be used exclusively in the box anyway, so I really like this as a move.

I'm not higher on it because the Pats biggest problem with their safety play was coverage - something Wilson stunk at.

Used exclusively as a LB - taking Spikes/Hightower off the field in Nickel, I don't see that as a big improvement. Wilson hasn't been especially effective (certainly not on a consistent basis) against any TE who can run reasonably well since 2010. In 2011 he was decent, but he sure seemed to be struggling to keep up at times. In 2012 he was just bad to the point of being taken off the field in coverage situations.

I'll grant that he might be revitalized and could rebound a bit, but given the weaknesses of the 2012 Patriots - I just don't see Adrian Wilson as a big improvement. His leadership and toughness are nice qualities, but he doesn't fix the fundamental problems the Pats had in their secondary.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrington's already changed numbers once, what's one more time?

ELRammy
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

I'm not higher on it because the Pats biggest problem with their safety play was coverage - something Wilson stunk at.

Used exclusively as a LB - taking Spikes/Hightower off the field in Nickel, I don't see that as a big improvement. Wilson hasn't been especially effective (certainly not on a consistent basis) against any TE who can run reasonably well since 2010. In 2011 he was decent, but he sure seemed to be struggling to keep up at times. In 2012 he was just bad to the point of being taken off the field in coverage situations.

I'll grant that he might be revitalized and could rebound a bit, but given the weaknesses of the 2012 Patriots - I just don't see Adrian Wilson as a big improvement. His leadership and toughness are nice qualities, but he doesn't fix the fundamental problems the Pats had in their secondary.

I think the important part that we need to focus on is the pass rush/CB unit though. You're putting too much emphasis on Wilson and his potential impact on the defense. He'll be a liability when singled out and in deep man coverage, and how long he'll be in that position is based on how the pass rush will do. I don't think the Patriots will put him in that position anyways. McCourty will be the centerfielder and single high. Wilson will stay in the box and be responsible for coverages within 10 yards and I think he will fill the role nicely. Add in the fact that he provides physicality, leadership and tenacity to the defense, he'll be another Andre Carter/Roman Phifer/Rodney Harrison.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
Canton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a great signing. Honestly, I think talent wise this guy has more play making ability then Rodney did. Rodney was a great player but Adrian is a highlight reel. And at 33, I don't think he has lost a step. Many confuse decrease playing time with decrease ability and thats sooo overblown. Just in 2011, this guy had a record setting career year. He is hungry for a ring, and knows what he wants. Will bring physicality, beastfulness and championship pedigree to that secondary. And you put him beside McCourty, along with the re-signing of Aqib Talib? Arrington re-signing, Dennard coming back and Ras-I Dowling getting healthy, finally.. Could be nasty back there.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canton wrote:
I think it is a great signing. Honestly, I think talent wise this guy has more play making ability then Rodney did. Rodney was a great player but Adrian is a highlight reel. And at 33, I don't think he has lost a step. Many confuse decrease playing time with decrease ability and thats sooo overblown. Just in 2011, this guy had a record setting career year. He is hungry for a ring, and knows what he wants. Will bring physicality, beastfulness and championship pedigree to that secondary. And you put him beside McCourty, along with the re-signing of Aqib Talib? Arrington re-signing, Dennard coming back and Ras-I Dowling getting healthy, finally.. Could be nasty back there.

Shame on you

Completely ridiculous, in no way Rodney Harrison is less talented and the less of a playmaker of the two.

During the 2003-2004 post-seasons he was responsible for 7 turnovers in 6 playoff games, he was then injured in 2005 and was never the same.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:

I think the important part that we need to focus on is the pass rush/CB unit though.

Neither the pass rush or CB unit have been noticeably upgraded since the end of last season when they were both big liabilities. In fact, if Dennard is in prison, they will be significantly worse.

Quote:
he'll be another Andre Carter/Roman Phifer/Rodney Harrison.

Or another Brendan Stai, Rich Tylski or John Lynch
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

I think the important part that we need to focus on is the pass rush/CB unit though.

Neither the pass rush or CB unit have been noticeably upgraded since the end of last season when they were both big liabilities. In fact, if Dennard is in prison, they will be significantly worse.

Quote:
he'll be another Andre Carter/Roman Phifer/Rodney Harrison.

Or another Brendan Stai, Rich Tylski or John Lynch

My point was, with McCourty being the last safety valve(and being a good one), our issues in the back end of coverage is a lot better. And it drastically improved once he was put there last season. I can see where you have your gripes for Chung vs Buffalo, Tavon vs Seattle and Gregory vs every opponent last year. But the two points to improving our defensive woes right now are the pass rush and man positions.

Wilson is 33. He's not 50 like it was with Lynch. I don't even know Stai or remember Tylski tbh. Which odd favors the the old veteran (in this case an all-star) coming to a BB coached team though?

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.

Last edited by patsfan25 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canton wrote:
And at 33, I don't think he has lost a step. Many confuse decrease playing time with decrease ability and thats sooo overblown.

So you didn't watch him play last year?
Canton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that Arizona defense was very good and they didn't use him as much although he did record a key sack to put himself in a milestone. I still think that he is still capable and able to play at a very high level and that age is nothing but a number. Brian Dawkins was 33 at an all pro level, Lawyer Milloy has done it, Darren Woodson, Rod Woodson won a SB and etc. And Rodney was 31, but still in his thirties. As long as he can stay healthy I think we have a win. Remember, this guy has been to 5 probowls (1 recent in 2011), and 4 all-pros coming in NE. Rodney 2 probowls and same number of all-pros. Just ask Pete Carroll and Jeff Fisher, who both have had trouble planning and prepping for a guy like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: