Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats sign former Cards DB Adrian Wilson to 3-year, $5M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Wilson really was not used in coverage last season (only 350 snaps in coverage). When he was in coverage, teams tended to throw at him (at least slightly more than they threw at Kerry Rhodes).
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cardinals defense is quite different than the patriots, thouh. BB tends to play to players strengths. No matter what, there is just no way he is worse than steven gregory or tavon wilson
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Sciz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
The cardinals defense is quite different than the patriots, thouh. BB tends to play to players strengths. No matter what, there is just no way he is worse than steven gregory or tavon wilson
If Adrian doesn't "un-decline" from last season and Tavon can cut down the huge mental errors (from two to zero), then I think Tavon's a better player.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

He was worse in coverage than either of those guys last year.

What was more of a problem for the Pats secondary the last 2 years: coverage or run support?

I can remember 3 or 4 really horrific run plays and dozens of bad pass plays. That's really my gripe here, not that Wilson is old, not that he's declining. His skill set just doesn't seem to address the fundamental problem the Pats safeties have had recently.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

What was more of a problem for the Pats secondary the last 2 years: coverage or run support?

I can remember 3 or 4 really horrific run plays and dozens of bad pass plays. That's really my gripe here, not that Wilson is old, not that he's declining. His skill set just doesn't seem to address the fundamental problem the Pats safeties have had recently.

Well he was very good in coverage in 2011.

In 2011 he played 592 snaps in coverage (compared to 350 in 2012). In 2011 offenses threw at him once every 19.7 snaps when he was in coverage (compared to once every 13 snaps in 2012). So he declined last year.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

In 2011 he played 592 snaps in coverage (compared to 350 in 2012). In 2011 offenses threw at him once every 19.7 snaps when he was in coverage (compared to once every 13 snaps in 2012). So he declined last year.

That doesnt mean he was any better in 2011. QBs may very well have been hesitant to test him.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Because he was thrown at infrequently means he was very good in coverage? I'd put far more stake in that if he were a CB. As a strong safety, those numbers are pretty meaningless to me.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Because he was thrown at infrequently means he was very good in coverage? I'd put far more stake in that if he were a CB. As a strong safety, those numbers are pretty meaningless to me.

I think the fact that he was on the field for passing downs is the more significant stat, whereas this past year he was not on the field in passing situations.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I think the fact that he was on the field for passing downs is the more significant stat, whereas this past year he was not on the field in passing situations.

Steve Gregory was on the field for a lot of passing downs last year and he sucked. Sometimes guys who are weak in coverage are left out there because of name recognition, fear of change, lack of better alternatives etc.

Simply being out there doesn't tell us much other than he was the starting safety and the Cardinals didn't like subbing him out. Based on his reputation and the other guys on the roster, it's not too surprising.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him as a player, despite his flaws. I generally agree with mccurty83's assessment of him, except I do think he could rebound from his horrific season. We will see, obviously the Patriots think he will

Whats the word on the money?

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
BP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant go wrong with adrian wilson is my motto im wearing on my sleeve for the season. Very Happy happy about to root for this guy on the pats
HOVA333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
I wouldn't pin a rebound on the result of scheme adjustments - there's just a precedent for a player with a track record of high level performance moving to a contender late in their career and experiencing a resurgence, likely due to a re-commitment to the behaviors that made them successful in the first place. If his athleticism has truly waned, he'd done regardless, but if not...

That's the problem. He looked slow(er) last year and that's not something which a "re-commitment" is usually going to fix.

With that being said, Wilson is know as a freakish Athlete. Hopefully it is just a re-commitment thing.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that I hadn't thought of until now is that he might cut some weight in order to regain a little speed. If he drops from his listed 230 to 220, he'd still be a really big safety, but get a little faster. It's what Ray Lewis did last season, and Wilson has the advantage of taking on a lot fewer blockers.
BP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
I wouldn't pin a rebound on the result of scheme adjustments - there's just a precedent for a player with a track record of high level performance moving to a contender late in their career and experiencing a resurgence, likely due to a re-commitment to the behaviors that made them successful in the first place. If his athleticism has truly waned, he'd done regardless, but if not...

That's the problem. He looked slow(er) last year and that's not something which a "re-commitment" is usually going to fix.

With that being said, Wilson is know as a freakish Athlete. Hopefully it is just a re-commitment thing.
hence freakiness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vL19q8yL54

age, weight, one down year, scheme, whatever. that wasn't that long ago and on top of the character of the man, wilson is an athlete who is going to BRING IT with new england
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations guys, 99%of Cards fans will tell you nothing but good about this guy. He has slowed down a bit but he is still a playmaker. He's a helluva player and an even better fighter. Great pickup guys!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: