Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We got Jennings!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
As a shrewd veteran seeking an ideal fit, Jennings took inventory of the situation in Minnesota, making certain to first gain a belief in Ponder. It didn’t hurt that Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and receivers coach George Stewart then spent significant time expressing their plans to use Jennings in a variety of ways — outside, from the slot, over the middle, over the top, etc.

Frazier: “We had a ton of tape to show that. A ton. A ton of tape. Greg’s a bright guy. He understands offense and he understands defenses, too. So once we showed him specific things, he realized there were some golden opportunities here. Plus, Bill and George did a great job explaining that we would use him in a fashion where he could move around and not have coverages constantly rolled toward him. I think he liked what he heard.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/198891391.html?refer=y

I hope Ponder can live up to the belief Jennings has placed in him. It's possible Jennings is unable to know what it's like having a QB like that throwing passes to him. Up until now, the only QB's he has had have been Lord Favre and Erin Rodgers. Even if Ponder turns out like we all hope, there is bound to be a big drop off, at least for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:

It's possible Jennings is unable to know what it's like having a QB like that throwing passes to him. Up until now, the only QB's he has had have been Lord Favre and Erin Rodgers.

College.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Even if Ponder turns out like we all hope, there is bound to be a big drop off, at least for a while.

How big, and how long?

His $9M salary will help him get over it, regardless of how big and for whatever duration.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the day, Jennings wanted the big contract. It has to be his expectation to go to a team with a lesser QB given that teams with great QB rarely throw out large amounts of cash at free agent receivers.

Given that Jennings had offers from the Packers and Patriots supposedly, he obviously doenst care too much about playing with an elite QB as he would have taken less money to play for one.

Therefore, I think Jennings knows what he is putting himself into. Hopefully he can put it on himself to help develop the young receiving corps and work with Ponder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we have largely attributed Jennings decision being influenced to either money or an elite QB, perhaps he wanted to "rule in Hell rather than serve in Heaven"? (Yes I like to butcher that quote). Here, he is the indisputable #1 WR, while he would have to split time with other WR's especially in GB. Didn't he imply as much in his introductory press conference, saying he liked to be the center of the passing attack?
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
While we have largely attributed Jennings decision being influenced to either money or an elite QB, perhaps he wanted to "rule in Hell rather than serve in Heaven"? (Yes I like to butcher that quote). Here, he is the indisputable #1 WR, while he would have to split time with other WR's especially in GB. Didn't he imply as much in his introductory press conference, saying he liked to be the center of the passing attack?

This has been my line of thinking that he wants to own his identity and not be simply part of the previous pack or system. To back up his belief is the fact that GB offerred him 11m earlier in the year and 8m now. The dude still has it and if gb was willing to pony up then they know it for they have bills to pay in FA's coming up.

I like the fact that this guy will run the route and be open. Ponder would thrive on that. Ponder is meticulous. He hasnt had guys getting open. We all know this. If Jennings opens the eyes of Wright and Simpson and whatever rookie that running the route and being open will make you money then I am sure Ponder will hit them. Pnder is a little too reliant on script, and if we can at least get the script to work half the time numbers will grow big time in the passing game and look out with AD primed and the O-line back together.

I am excited and looking forward to some impact players in the draft.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part of this is that the guy is more than just a great player. He's a great person. His "Be Great" mentality is inspiring enough on Twitter. He's going to be a locker room leader, a mentor, and perhaps an influence on the community.

I really love the strong locker room we're building. We haven't had this in a long time.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is just fantasy...

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/9066120/greg-jennings-signs-minnesota-vikings-top-30-wide-receiver-option-even-lesser-quarterback?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

"Well, the wiseacres on Twitter instantly pounced on the discrepancy between catching passes from Aaron Rodgers and Christian Ponder, and it's sizable. ... although Ponder has yet to show he has even average arm strength, he is accurate...And Jennings' hallmark as a WR is his route-running precision. He will be open."
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to an interview Greg Jennings did with Jim Rome last week. It's a good listen. He actually speaks quite highly of Ponder.

http://jimrome.com/audio/1691-the-jim-rome-show/greg-jennings/
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love Greg Jennings - class guy and a very good WR. He may not be as good as a healthy Percy Harvin and Jennings has had some injury issues, but it was a great signing for the Vikings. One thing you will notice early and that is Jennings is not the malcontent Harvin was and is.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bermuda Viking wrote:
Here is the link to an interview Greg Jennings did with Jim Rome last week. It's a good listen. He actually speaks quite highly of Ponder.

Phenomenal
HighHopes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Bermuda Viking wrote:

Phenomenal

LOL, I love when Rome asked about the Packers "strong offer".
marshpit23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bermuda Viking wrote:

Definitely a good listen. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bermuda Viking wrote:

Thanks for the link! It is very heartening to hear of Jennings confidence in Ponder, it gives me hope that he will improve this year, and I'm sure Jennings abilities as a WR will play a large part in that. After trading Harvin, the acquisition of Jennings gives me some hope that our WR corps is going to be much better this year than last.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal

wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Pure Class.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 20 of 27

Jump to: