Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We got Jennings!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect contract structure.

The Vikings can cut him after two years and not have it impact their cap space negatively. Cutting Jennings prior to the 2015-2016 would actually save the Vikings $2.9M
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Monday morning in an interview with Vikings play-by-play man Paul Allen on KFAN radio, Jennings said he got clarity on the atmosphere with the Vikings from Favre. Jennings played two seasons with Favre in Green Bay before the quarterback was traded to the New York Jets in 2008. In 2009, the Jets released Favre and the Vikings signed him to a two-year deal and he helped lead the Vikings to the NFC Championship game in his first season in purple.

As usual, the Old Gunslinger didn’t hold back on his assessment of Minnesota. He and Jennings were actually speaking to one another when the meetings with the Vikings brass began.

Jennings: “Literally, as I got off the plane and (offensive coordinator Bill) Musgrave walked up to me, I’m on the phone with Brett. I spoke with Brett two or three times throughout this process. He shot me straight. I knew if there was one person that would shoot straight and tell me exactly what I wanted to hear and things I possibly didn’t want to hear, it would be Brett. He did that for me.”

http://min.scout.com/2/1275736.html

Laughing As if Packer fans needed another reason to hate Favre.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank has returned...

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

The Vikings can cut him after two years and not have it impact their cap space negatively. Cutting Jennings prior to the 2015-2016 would actually save the Vikings $2.9M

Not quite true, they'd have $6million in dead money against the cap if they cut him after 2 years.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

Not quite true, they'd have $6million in dead money against the cap if they cut him after 2 years.

8.9M base salary - 6M accelerated bonus, no net negative cap hit would have been a better way to put it I suppose.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Monday morning in an interview with Vikings play-by-play man Paul Allen on KFAN radio, Jennings said he got clarity on the atmosphere with the Vikings from Favre. Jennings played two seasons with Favre in Green Bay before the quarterback was traded to the New York Jets in 2008. In 2009, the Jets released Favre and the Vikings signed him to a two-year deal and he helped lead the Vikings to the NFC Championship game in his first season in purple.

As usual, the Old Gunslinger didn’t hold back on his assessment of Minnesota. He and Jennings were actually speaking to one another when the meetings with the Vikings brass began.

Jennings: “Literally, as I got off the plane and (offensive coordinator Bill) Musgrave walked up to me, I’m on the phone with Brett. I spoke with Brett two or three times throughout this process. He shot me straight. I knew if there was one person that would shoot straight and tell me exactly what I wanted to hear and things I possibly didn’t want to hear, it would be Brett. He did that for me.”

One thing I noticed in this interview is the confidence Jennings expressed in ponder. This is the perfect guy to have on our WR corps. He trusts his QB, he's a great player and a great person. This will definitely help ponders confidence. Add a big WR in the draft and I think we will see a lot of improvement in ponder this year

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

One thing I noticed in this interview is the confidence Jennings expressed in ponder. This is the perfect guy to have on our WR corps. He trusts his QB, he's a great player and a great person. This will definitely help ponders confidence. Add a big WR in the draft and I think we will see a lot of improvement in ponder this year

Especially with reports that suggested Harvin was dissing Ponder. Ponder hearing an established receiver like Jennings saying he has confidence in him will at least go a long way towards building a relationship and chemistry.

Though its most likely Jennings simply saying what any true professional would say. Its a relief not having Percy around, frankly. Jennings is a nice breath of fresh air.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

8.9M base salary - 6M accelerated bonus, no net negative cap hit would have been a better way to put it I suppose.

ah, i see what you meant.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:

ah, i see what you meant.

Like I said, I could have made that waaaaaaay clearer Very Happy
HighHopes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Especially with reports that suggested Harvin was dissing Ponder. Ponder hearing an established receiver like Jennings saying he has confidence in him will at least go a long way towards building a relationship and chemistry.

Though its most likely Jennings simply saying what any true professional would say. Its a relief not having Percy around, frankly. Jennings is a nice breath of fresh air.

Ehh at the same time, it would be as professional to just exclude Ponder.

EDIT: unless asked I suppose lol

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
meixdaddy_10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
How do ponders rookie numbers compare to Tannehills. That would be a better comparison IMO

Ponder didnt start til part way into his rookie year..it would be like comparing apples to oranges just based off rookie years.

Ponder did have a 13/13 TD:INT ratio his rookie year vs Tannehill's 12/13..he also had 1853 yds passing in 11 games vs 3294 yds in 16 games

So he technically has a worse INT/per pass attempt ratio (13/291 or 1 INT/22 attempts ) vs (13/484 or 1 INT/37attempts) but had a lot better td/per pass ratio (13/291 or 1 TD/22 attempts) vs (12/484 or 1TD/40 attempts)

Ponder in his first full year had a TD/attempt ratio of 18/483 or 1 TD/26 attempts...INT/attempt ratio of 12/483 or 1 INT/40 attempts

So basically Ponder decreased his TD ratio and decreased his INT ratio this year and everbody hates him...I call that some improvement and needs some work. We need to see more improvement than that this year or he's gone IMO.

Sorry..not trying to start another Ponder thread...just giving info on the comparisons
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think we overpaid for Jennings roughly 1million per year, I'm happy we didn't give Harvin this monster contract. He has been a head case and far from a team player.

Jennings will be good for Ponder and all our young recievers. As a pure WR, he's more versatile than Harvin.

Not saying Jennings is an overall better player than Harvin.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a shrewd veteran seeking an ideal fit, Jennings took inventory of the situation in Minnesota, making certain to first gain a belief in Ponder. It didn’t hurt that Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and receivers coach George Stewart then spent significant time expressing their plans to use Jennings in a variety of ways — outside, from the slot, over the middle, over the top, etc.

Frazier: “We had a ton of tape to show that. A ton. A ton of tape. Greg’s a bright guy. He understands offense and he understands defenses, too. So once we showed him specific things, he realized there were some golden opportunities here. Plus, Bill and George did a great job explaining that we would use him in a fashion where he could move around and not have coverages constantly rolled toward him. I think he liked what he heard.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/198891391.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jennings' ability to line up at all three wide out positions is going to let Musgrave run the offense that he originally planned on in Minnesota.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
I think Jennings' ability to line up at all three wide out positions is going to let Musgrave run the offense that he originally planned on in Minnesota.

I agree, that is a big part of his value to this team. Multi trick pony.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 19 of 27

Jump to: