Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cardinals sign former Chargers CB Antoine Cason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Cardinals sign former Chargers CB Antoine Cason Reply with quote

Quote:
Cardinals agree to terms with CB Antoine Cason. 1-yr deal.

http://twitter.com/kentsomers/statuses/312679513827971073
Tom Brady Tribute
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause I love this signing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filing holes with good players across the board.

Maybe there is a plan

I like Cason, I liked him when he was coming out of college, better late than never.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised to khodder, I'm here with an assessment of Cason. And really it comes down to the scheme. The biggest knock on the guy is that his instincts are just plain below average and he needs to be utilized in a very specific way otherwise he's going to be a guy that can be counted on to give up a scoring play per game or more.

In a sense, he's like a longer, heavier version of Cary Williams, the former Baltimore now Philadelphia CB. He needs to be allowed to play up on his man at the LOS and if he is, he can ride a receivers hip quite well and stick with them. I always equated him to being very "Paint by Numbers," in terms of scheme, if his assignment is simple (i.e. "man up on this guy") he can be an effective #2. If he is asked to play off-man or in heavy zone, he's going to create issues because he doesn't have a great feel (even this far into his career) for when to pass off his assignment to the safety and more often than not just let's his assignment get to and then run past him.

When defending passes he's an 80/20 player - part of that may have our defensive philosophy but it's hard to believe that some of that hasn't been ingrained in his play to this point. What I mean by 80/20 is that 80% of the time, he's going to try to contest the receiver being able to make the catch, but be more content to just let the guy make the catch and tackle him immediately after (I can't tell you how many uncontested sideline catches I've watched him give up over the past couple seasons, it's horribly frustrating); 20% of the time he's going to get the burr up his backside that he's going to jump the route no matter what and go for the INT (he has a really bad habit of selling out his safety in these instances and letting 5-7 yard out-routes turn into 15 yard gains because he jumped the route inside and the QB frozen-roped that ball to the out).

If he's looked to more as a slot corner that's a much better fit if someone can instill some better discipline on him (again, manned up in the slot is probably his best fit). Coaches get too tempted to play him on the boundary because of his length, but what he really is is a tall slot corner. Decent blitzer. His form tackling is good. He'll play through injuries. And he can contribute as an effective returner.

However, he's someone that savvy offensive coordinators will take advantage of, particularly his poor instincts, by matching up slick route-runners who can throw deft feints and fakes at him before or just after he flips his hips and get the separation necessary to move the chains, which can and will be particularly frustrating on 3rd downs. This was where Plaxico Burris just absolutely abused Cason in short-space/red-zone two seasons ago, and twice it was on the same route (baited him by flashing a feint to the corner route then cut inside and was uncontested on a slant into the end zone).

Last edited by The LBC on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Filing holes with good players across the board.

Maybe there is a plan

I like Cason, I liked him when he was coming out of college, better late than never.

Quote:
Cason had two interceptions, two forced fumbles and 11 passes defensed last year for the Chargers. Hell get a one-year deal in a depressed cornerbacks market Adam Caplan reports its for $1.5 million, with another $500,000 in incentives in the hope he can try again for a better long-term deal next year.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cason-Coming-To-Cardinals/05ab524f-7264-488e-a83c-4334a241dd6c

I remember liking him a lot more than DRC. I loved the guy. I haven't been keep tabs but it seems like a great deal. Super cheap pickup for a guy who could be our #2 CB next year.

I really don't think this defense will change much at all. We'll see a lot of nickel defense. Arians said 62% of snaps are nickel defense or something like that. With PP, Cason, Powers, and Fleming, I don't think we'll be addressing CB early in the draft. I'm expecting another safety in the first 3 rounds though.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
As promised to khodder, I'm here with an assessment of Cason. And really it comes down to the scheme. The biggest knock on the guy is that his instincts are just plain below average and he needs to be utilized in a very specific way otherwise he's going to be a guy that can be counted on to give up a scoring play per game or more.

In a sense, he's like a longer, heavier version of Cary Williams, the former Baltimore now Philadelphia CB. He needs to be allowed to play up on his man at the LOS and if he is, he can ride a receivers hip quite well and stick with them. I always equated him to being very "Paint by Numbers," in terms of scheme, if his assignment is simple (i.e. "man up on this guy") he can be an effective #2. If he is asked to play off-man or in heavy zone, he's going to create issues because he doesn't have a great feel (even this far into his career) for when to pass off his assignment to the safety and more often than not just let's his assignment get to and then run past him.

When defending passes he's an 80/20 player - part of that may have our defensive philosophy but it's hard to believe that some of that hasn't been ingrained in his play to this point. What I mean by 80/20 is that 80% of the time, he's going to try to contest the receiver being able to make the catch, but be more content to just let the guy make the catch and tackle him immediately after (I can't tell you how many uncontested sideline catches I've watched him give up over the past couple seasons, it's horribly frustrating); 20% of the time he's going to get the burr up his backside that he's going to jump the route no matter what and go for the INT (he has a really bad habit of selling out his safety in these instances and letting 5-7 yard out-routes turn into 15 yard gains because he jumped the route inside and the QB frozen-roped that ball to the out).

If he's looked to more as a slot corner that's a much better fit if someone can instill some better discipline on him (again, manned up in the slot is probably his best fit). Coaches get too tempted to play him on the boundary because of his length, but what he really is is a tall slot corner. Decent blitzer. His form tackling is good. He'll play through injuries. And he can contribute as an effective returner.

However, he's someone that savvy offensive coordinators will take advantage of, particularly his poor instincts, by matching up slick route-runners who can throw deft feints and fakes at him before or just after he flips his hips and get the separation necessary to move the chains, which can and will be particularly frustrating on 3rd downs.

Thanks for putting the time in to give us your assessment. It seems like the potential is there. We have no clear #2 CB right now so I'm hoping a competition between Cason, Powers, and Fleming will yield some positive results. All 3 seem capable of being good nickel CBs.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5m is a good deal for a #3 corner. I'm glad we were patient...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good signing

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
dr_gonzo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

So does that make Fleming No4? Can't see powers or Cason happily coming in as 4 choice.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_gonzo wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

So does that make Fleming No4? Can't see powers or Cason happily coming in as 4 choice.

My response to that is, we are stacked at corner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a very solid signing just like every other one so far. Obviously Peterson is #1, and i think Powers is #2, Cason #3, Fleming #4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleming moves up maybe after next year?

Good depth, one less position to target in draft

Is mighty mike still on the team? Would he not be #5 ?
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of these guys is going to switch to safety?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Maybe one of these guys is going to switch to safety?

I highly doubt it. Powers is not built for it. Cason did not sign a 1 year deal to switch positions. Fleming I just can't see it. I still think he has upside at CB
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams is a FA, so my dream draft of Mathieu to pair with PP can still happen.

Honey Badger with Bethel and Alexander on ST, that has to be good right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: