Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens sign former Cowboys DL Marcus Spears to 2-year/$3.55m
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz
(1 of 2): Harbaugh said the addition of Spears and Canty should allow the team to be more creative in how it uses Haloti Ngata

Quote:
Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz
(2 of 2): Harbaugh acknowledged that with the additions of Canty and Spears that Ngata could see more time inside at NT

I love it. If these guys stay healthy, we're going to have flexibility and depth all along the defensive line. Ngata pass rushing from the inside should provide a boost, and hopefully this move will allow us to keep his snap count a little lower and keep him healthy. And it means less playing time for Cody, who to me is just horrible. A rotation of Ngata/Canty/McPhee/Jones/Spears, with Cody and Tyson also fighting for PT, is deep, versatile, and dangerous.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that just reminds me of a lot of this happening, but with Ngata:

So in conclusion:

And to all of those Center's in the future who attempt to block Haloti 1v1:

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ They're still going to double team Haloti -- it's just going to be the G/C instead of the G/T.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
^ They're still going to double team Haloti -- it's just going to be the G/C instead of the G/T.

I like that better anyways. To me Ngata is more equipped to win against multiple blockers on the inside than he is more towards the edge.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

Good, I hope that's the case! I'd rather see double teams on the interior, making it harder to double the edge rushers as opposed to doubling the exterior defensive lineman, making it relatively easy for those guards to just slide over and double Suggs.

Either way, I like Ngata more at NT than I do at DE.

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

That's true, but at the same time Ngata gets to hit a center that's trying to reestablish leverage after snapping, as opposed to seeing a center after he's already firing out of his stance... or an OT with longer arms that can help to contain Ngata's momentum with a good punch.

This gives Ngata a chance to get a strong initial punch on an OL before a double team gets there.. and OGs doubling him means he's got less space he has to travel before getting pressure on the QB or getting inside to stop a run.

Also part of the reason why Pees defense didn't work well last season was because he likes his NT to be a penetrator, but his DEs to be firm at the POA... yet Ngata isn't that kind of DE, he's been trained to shed blockers and get upfield for the past few years now. So for the defense to work last year we actually had to ask Ngata to be less aggressive in his role. It was a noticeable difference from how he looked to shed blocks early in the season to how gradually he seemed to try that less and less... our run defense improved because of it, but it still wasn't the best use of Ngata abilities. Moving him to NT in Pees scheme is the best fit for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: