Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens sign former Cowboys DL Marcus Spears to 2-year/$3.55m
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Ravens sign former Cowboys DL Marcus Spears to 2-year/$3.55m Reply with quote

Quote:
#Ravens DE Marcus Spears heading to Baltimore on 2-yr deal being finalized, source tells @FOXSports.com. Story coming ASAP

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/312675569135403009

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Ravens have now announced Marcus Spears' two-year deal. It's worth $3.55 million

Tom Brady Tribute
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pending the money...

Like I said in the FA thread, I think with this signing we'll obviously be moving to more of a classic 34 base with two large 5-tech DEs clogging up the run on 1st down and then situationally switch in our talented depth options to get after the QB. And we move Ngata over to NT to penetrate up the gut.

Dean Pees used to be the DC over there in NE back when they had Vince Wilfork being a penetrating clog up the middle, I'm sure he's envisioning Ngata in the same role. Terrance Cody can then rotate in on running series perhaps every other series to keep Ngata fresh and less likely to sustain injury.

That seems like a plan for me.

DE (5): Arthur Jones, Chris Canty, DeAngelo Tyson
NT (0): Haloti Ngata, Terrence Cody
DE (5): Marcus Spears, Pernell McPhee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ngata is indeed playing NT, our d-line is set.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to reply to what you said in the FA thread, DB, you're right. We could still draft Kruger because these guys aren't long term options and he is still a little raw so he shouldn't be playing too much in his first year. He would slide right in, nicely, behind McPhee on that depth chart. This just means we won't be getting both he and Datone, unfortunately.

I hope this doesn't mean we will now have to choose between Reed or Harrison, though. I still want them both. Evil or Very Mad

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think its Canty-Cody-Ngata. Probably got Canty and Spears because neither one of Jones or McPhee are a great fit for the position and we needed two. With Ngata's talent and the money we paid him, I just can't see him moving to the nose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I still think its Canty-Cody-Ngata. Probably got Canty and Spears because neither one of Jones or McPhee are a great fit for the position and we needed two. With Ngata's talent and the money we paid him, I just can't see him moving to the nose.

Good point.

I still really want Jesse Williams. Ngata, Williams and Canty would be great.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good depth signing, but I want Ngata at 5 tech in our base alignment. Imo it is his best spot, but in Nickel it doesn't really matter because we will just have a heavy rotation. Sad news is though, this most likely means we won't go after Seymour.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

It wouldn't simply be moving him to NT to clog up the run.

Ngata's switch would signal a complete change in the philosophy of our 34. As opposed to our NT being a space/block eater and our DEs looking to generate pressure from the edges... this philosophy would call upon the NT to generate great pressure from the NT spot, while having more disciplined and stout DEs.

Also I'd imagine that it should be easier for Ngata to generate more pressure against a center hiking a football, a guy who is also generally smaller and less capable of handling that kind of size/strength combination... and THEN seeing a double team from a guard... then generating pressure vs a guard that is bigger and more capable of holding off Ngata until a center or OT can get there with the double team block.

I kind of like Ngata in that role. And Ngata's speed and ability to track down a play is still very useful because as opposed to shutting down one side, he can get pressure up front and chase down the runner down the LOS to either side. His athleticism will still be a boon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this signing, especially if Pees moves Ngata to NT. With the struggles we had last year against the run, signing some quality D linemen was a must.

When I think of the production Clarence Brooks was able to get out of an over the hill Ma'ake Kemoeatu, I expect both Chris Canty and Marcus Spears to do really well here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravens have now announced Marcus Spears' two-year deal. It's worth $3.55 million

That's a good price for Spears. Probably about what he's worth. For that much I like the signing quite a bit. Throw out a 3-man DL with Ngata/Cody at NT and they're set for that part of the defense. I'm still not expecting that to happen though.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:

That's a good price for Spears. Probably about what he's worth. For that much I like the signing quite a bit. Throw out a 3-man DL with Ngata/Cody at NT and they're set for that part of the defense. I'm still not expecting that to happen though.

That just further increased my opinion of this signing. I thought for sure he was going to get around $2m a year.

The FAs sure are signing for some very value deals this year. I have to wonder if Reed won't be back for something like $4.8m or so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I don't think playing NT would make him less of an impact player. Obviously, it's the key position for defending most runs plays. We have struggled mightily with runs up the middle recently.

Also, with the way QBs are getting rid of the ball quicker more emphasis has been placed on pressure up the middle, than pressure from the edges (which is slower but more likely to result in a sack). I think that's why your also seeing a renewed emphasis on the offensive guard position, relative to the tackles. If Ngata can just push blockers back in to the QB's face and force rushed throws, or better yet, create lanes for blitzes right up the middle, then we can get a ton of value out of him at that slot.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no way around moving Ngata to DT right now and playing more of a Wilfork role. I just don't. Spears adds nothing to the team if we just signed him to be a depth guy at DE behind Ngata/McPhee/Canty and whoever else we have, but if Ngata moves inside then we have Canty/Spears/McPhee with Jones being a depth guy.

I'm not a real fan of the move right now, but it'll be interesting to see the direction we're moving in, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth isn't nothing, especially in the NFL where every team has significant injuries every year. By all accounts Spears is a good guy and we got him at a low price. At the very least, the signing gives the team some flexibility moving forward, both in terms of the draft and in terms of scheme. I'm sure that Ozzie will add some more depth at NT. It doesn't make sense to take a versatile player like Ngata and leave him strictly at NT.
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLBeast 52 wrote:
Depth isn't nothing, especially in the NFL where every team has significant injuries every year. By all accounts Spears is a good guy and we got him at a low price. At the very least, the signing gives the team some flexibility moving forward, both in terms of the draft and in terms of scheme. I'm sure that Ozzie will add some more depth at NT. It doesn't make sense to take a versatile player like Ngata and leave him strictly at NT.
Cody can back up NT, I think.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: