Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots re-sign CB Kyle Arrington to a 4-year, $16M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much money considering what the other corners have received.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
Arrington's durability probably raised his value.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:

His special teams play also adds value.
Tom Brady Tribute
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:

Sure but not to the tune of $4 million. Seems like we overpaid. I hope the Pats aren't expecting him to be a starter, that's a lot of money for a nickle corner/ special teamer.

Mack on the sig
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:

Sure but not to the tune of $4 million. Seems like we overpaid. I hope the Pats aren't expecting him to be a starter, that's a lot of money for a nickle corner/ special teamer.
Like I said, nickel corner is a very important role in today's NFL. And only half of Arrington's deal is guaranteed anyway.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he's in SL I'm chill w/ it. Though his ST plays has declined but we need another outside CB and Ras I can be 4th CB.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
patsfan06

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing disgustingly terrible.

Seriously Bill, we are just gonna roll out either the same or worse team as last year. Unreal.
BP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty happy to have some depth but not overly ecstatic about it being arrington tbh
InRodWeRust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an Arrington hater and I don't think he's a bad player but geez that really seems like an excessive amount for his production and role. 4 years for 8 million sounds more accurate to me.

Do you remember when the Pats were 1-15?
Adopt-a-Patriot 2013: Duron Harmon - Safety Final 2013 Stats
Int: 2 Tot Tack: 24 Pass Def: 4 Fum Rec: 0
BP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:

Seriously Bill, we are just gonna roll out either the same or worse team as last year. Unreal.
SLIGHT improvements to the offense imo, idk still remains to be seen obviously. SLIGHT i sed. defensively? we get abraham, AND freeney? as well as signing wilson? Heck, they got a shot to be a potentially top 10 stat defense next season.
PoWww

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:

We are most likely adding a pass rusher like John Abraham or Dwight Freeney. Maybe even both. Abraham would give us a solid, reliable veteran who can still get to the QB. Also, most likely adding a veteran safety like Adrian Wilson. If we retain Talib and Arrington is put in the slot, I don't see how you can hate this deal. You can be upset with the money, but slot corners are pretty much starters now a days.

Plus, there's still the draft.

^Deadpulse
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/16 for Arrington when guys like Cox were going 5/20??? Really gross.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:

Gross is giving Cox a 5 year deal.

He only got 6M in signing bonus (8M guaranteed total) so I imagine the cap hit will be low for the next 2 years. If he regresses, he's gone in 2015 and the dead money will be manageable.

A solid slot CB/good ST guy is worth good money these days. If he has a cap hit under $2.5 the next 2 years, it's a good deal IMO.

Arrington - in his role - is a very good player. Outside of his role he struggles, but not to the extent people make it seem. I don't have any problem with the deal (assuming that he's either gone or has improved/solidified by 2015).

They're royally screwed though if Talib leaves and Dennard has to go to jail. It was such a buyers market for CB's it's a little curious they haven't been more aggressive on that front.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

He only got 6M in signing bonus (8M guaranteed total) so I imagine the cap hit will be low for the next 2 years. If he regresses, he's gone in 2015 and the dead money will be manageable.

A solid slot CB/good ST guy is worth good money these days. If he has a cap hit under $2.5 the next 2 years, it's a good deal IMO.

Arrington - in his role - is a very good player. Outside of his role he struggles, but not to the extent people make it seem. I don't have any problem with the deal (assuming that he's either gone or has improved/solidified by 2015).

They're royally screwed though if Talib leaves and Dennard has to go to jail. It was such a buyers market for CB's it's a little curious they haven't been more aggressive on that front.

The point is we need outside corners who can press,get up in a wide receiver's face, etc. Without Talib and Dennard we don't have any. I hate to be an alarmist but unless we get Talib back (looking less likely every day) the secondary is going to hanging by the health and play of Ras-I Dowling.... we're going to pin the hopes of a championship contender on Ras-I Dowling? Having a good slot CB is great but when you lack a good outside CB it makes no difference. And you said it yourself - buyers market. This offseason was an OPPORTUNITY to address the CB position in free agency...

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

The point is we need outside corners who can press,get up in a wide receiver's face, etc. Without Talib and Dennard we don't have any. I hate to be an alarmist but unless we get Talib back (looking less likely every day) the secondary is going to hanging by the health and play of Ras-I Dowling.... we're going to pin the hopes of a championship contender on Ras-I Dowling? Having a good slot CB is great but when you lack a good outside CB it makes no difference. And you said it yourself - buyers market. This offseason was an OPPORTUNITY to address the CB position in free agency...

Re-signing Arrington doesn't seem related to the outside spots though. They needed a slot CB, he's very good at it. He might be an emergency option if they can't find someone else but they have almost 6 months to find someone to play opposite of Dennard (assuming he is playing this year).

Yes, they need an outside corner. But they also needed a #3 CB. I don't think for one second that they re-signed Arrington with the intention of playing him outside, nor do I think Belichick is planning to go with Dowling/Arrington as the starting (only) CB's on the roster.

Other guys will be added. Am I mildly surprised that they didn't even seem to be in play for Lewis (seemed to want to go to New Orleans anyway) etc? Yeah I guess, but Woodson, Winfield, Talib and a few other lesser types are out there and there's still the trade market and the draft.

If they're still in this position in July, we can worry. As of now, I have to assume they have a plan (though I have a sinking feeling it might be to move McCourty back to CB).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: