Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Your personal choice for number 2 WR?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Your personal choice for number 2 WR? Reply with quote

With the cutting of Kevin Walter, the Texans have a huge hole at the number 2 WR position. Currently the starter right now next to Andre Johnson is Lestar Jean who racked up 6 catches, 151 yards and 1 touchdown. Other wide receivers on the roster are Keshawn Martin, and DeVier Posey (injured right now and it will be a while before he sees the field.) WR2 needs to be addressed.

A couple of options I think we should consider.

FA:

WR Ramses Barden: Never got a fair share with the Giants because they have Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz ahead of him, but he has the size to be a very good WR. Maybe he needs a change of scenery to show he has what it takes to be a starting WR. We could get him on the cheap too.

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey: Personally I'm not a fan of him because his hands aren't that good, but his speed his intruiging and he would surely take pressure off Andre forcing teams to try and keep up with him as a deep threat.

Draft:

WR: Keenan Allen: If he falls to our pick at 27, I don't see how he should not be the pick. He creates separation. He is athletic and he has reliable hands.

WR: DeAndre Hopkins: My personal favorite WR in this draft class. He reminds me of Roddy White. He has very good hands, and his athleticism is very underrated. There is a chance he could be there when we pick.

WR: Justin Hunter: At one point he was considered the best WR in this draft class, but he got hurt. He had a very good combine, and he has the size (height not weight) to be a very productive WR in the NFL. He needs to improve his hands though. Should be there when we pick at 27

WR: Terrence Williams: Very underrated WR. He has nice size and can also block. He seems like a perfect fit for our offense.

My take: I personally feel like we should address WR via the draft in round 1. I would be happy with any of the WR's in the draft I listed. This WR class is very deep and we are bound to have a good WR be available when we pick in round 1.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should get a combo of both: A FA WR who has some upside to provide some quick returns, and a 1st round rookie to slowly build into the mix, eventually stepping into the starting lineup. I see this as a 3-5 year build (if I had it my way):

2013:
1. Andre Johnson
2. Ramses Barden
3. Terrance Williams
4. Keshawn Martin
5. Lestar Jean/*DeVier Posey/**Kevin Walter

* = If not IR/PUP list. No matter what, his production in 2013 should be viewed as an added bonus due to injury
** = Depending on a limited deal at NFL Vet Min.

2014:
1. Johnson
2. Barden/Williams (platoon)
3. Posey
4. Martin
5. Jean/2014 mid round rookie WR/Walter (?)

1. Johnson/Williams
2. Barden
3. Posey
4. Martin
5. 2014 mid round rookie WR/Jean (?)

2016:
1. Williams
2. Posey/Barden
3. Martin
4. 2014 mid round rookie
5. 2016 2nd/3rd round rookie WR

1. Williams
2. Posey/Barden
3. Martin/2016 2nd/3rd round rookie
4. 2014 mid round rookie
5. 2017 mid round rookie

There are some variables here I haven't even touched on, but this is what I would like to see. This is all contingent on guys staying healthy, guys playing up to their level of production, Gary Kubiak/Rick Smith being here for the next five years, etc...a lot of variables in here that have to be accounted for, but in a perfect, perfect, PERFECT scenario, this would be how it goes.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
kidnextdoor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

2013:
1. Andre Johnson
2. Ramses Barden
3. Terrance Williams
4. Keshawn Martin

Doubtful if Posey is back for a full season this year
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidnextdoor wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

2013:
1. Andre Johnson
2. Ramses Barden
3. Terrance Williams
4. Keshawn Martin

Doubtful if Posey is back for a full season this year

Hence the star:

EliteTexan80 wrote:
* = If not IR/PUP list. No matter what, his production in 2013 should be viewed as an added bonus due to injury

Wink

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
DreDay80

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell no to Ramses Barden....He doesn't get ANY separation.
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Brandon Lloyd as a free agent while we look to incorporate a rookie into the mix. I like Justin Hunter at the end of the first.
treece300e

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
How about Brandon Lloyd as a free agent while we look to incorporate a rookie into the mix. I like Justin Hunter at the end of the first.

I really like Lloyd. While I don't think there was any chronological association between him and Kubiak, Lloyd does have ties to Denver which seems to be a positive sign for us pursuing him. He has been capable and pretty reliable for the past few years. He doesn't seem to be a diva, and goes to work everyday. If we could get him for relatively cheap, then I would be pretty happy.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
Hell no to Ramses Barden....He doesn't get ANY separation.

By and large, I'm indifferent to who the FA WR is; I took Barden because his size and leaping ability makes his a RZ threat, someone who can present the threat of the jump ball. Seems like if we DO throw the fade, it's to the #2 WR - might as well find one who is 6' 6" with a 35+ vertical leap. Our biggest issues in all aspects of the offense was RZ production, and Barden has the tools to be a good one in that spot. He ain't the best in between the 20s, but that's what we have Andre Johnson for, no?

Barden, Steve Breaston, Brandon Lloyd, Early Doucet, Braylon Edwards, DHB - not the best bunch of WRs, not guys who will put the team "on his back doe" (Vikings signed that guy) but competent players who have done well in limited time and could prove to be more than just "a guy" on the depth chart.

Doesn't matter WHICH one, just ONE of 'em.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Keenan Allen, but unless we trade up (which may be possible due to the compensatory picks) I don't see us getting him. The most realistic option I like is Stedman Bailey in the 2nd round. 114 catches, 1622 yards, and 25 TDs last season. That's excellent production.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
"We'll go to camp & obviously have a spot open across from Andre. Somebody's gonna have to jump up & take a hold of it." Kubiak on WR.

Quote:
Kubiak on #Texans WR situation: "We're not going to panic. We'll look to develop our young receivers. We have talented guys there."

I swear Kubiak can't possibly be this dumb right? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:
"We'll go to camp & obviously have a spot open across from Andre. Somebody's gonna have to jump up & take a hold of it." Kubiak on WR.

Quote:
Kubiak on #Texans WR situation: "We're not going to panic. We'll look to develop our young receivers. We have talented guys there."

Smokescreen

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Smokescreen

Could be, but I thought the same thing last year and we ended up picking up our first WR in round 3. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Smokescreen

I sure hope your right, but when Kubiak/Smith waited until the 3rd round last year and then taking a 7th round prospect in the 3rd when it was such a deep and talented WR class was just plain stupid. This is also the man that continued to hire his unqualified friends for defensive coordinator and allowed the team to flail around in mediocrity until McNair stepped forward and pulled Gary's head out of his butt for him. I think TF713 could be right.
Underwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what's wrong with what Kubes said. We will continue to develop our young guys and we shouldn't panic. We should definitely take a guy early in the draft, but do we absolutely have to grab a first rounder, when WRs almost always take a couple years to pan out anyway? It's not like even the best receiver in the draft will be likely to solve our issues this year, and we don't even really know what we have with Posey and Martin yet.

That said, I'm still hoping for Hunter or Hopkins, but we should just slow down, breathe and see who falls to us in the draft. If our best option is WR at that point, so be it.

Also, no one would be stupid enough to come out and say "Yup. We're taking a WR in the first. Leave us a good one, people!!"

Sig by Eaglezphan21
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Smokescreen

Could be, but I thought the same thing last year and we ended up picking up our first WR in round 3. Laughing

I'm going to hold steadfast to the theory that we mis-judged Rueben Randle's value as it pertains to other teams that wanted to draft him. We wanted him towards the end of the 2nd, Tampa Bay calls up with a sweetheart deal that would only drop us about seven spots, we make the trade...and then NY takes Randle at the tail end of the 2nd, only four spots before we were back up to nab him. We tried to pull of the same thing we did for Ben Tate - move backwards and still get the guy we wanted, but also grab a few mid rounders out of the deal - but NY threw a wrench in that plan, and we took the guy we had rated the highest after that, which was Posey (for better or worse).

Had the Bucs not given us a lot in an effort to draft Lavonte David, I am certain that the Texans would have tabbed Randle in the 2nd. This was one of those instances in which Rick Smith overthought the whole plan, and it backfired.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: