Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots host former Jets, Falcons DE John Abraham
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Not sure about this source but for what it's worth.
Quote:
the #Patriots are the front runners to sign John Abraham.. sides still working on deal.

https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/328315739264135170

Loyko is a pretty decent source for info. Just don't ask hm about Duron Harmon.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broncos signing Shaun Phillips really gave New England some leverage. One of Freeney/Abraham will kick the can, and take a smaller deal with us. And the Broncos most likely don't end up with either.

Aite,

peace.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
The Broncos signing Shaun Phillips really gave New England some leverage. One of Freeney/Abraham will kick the can, and take a smaller deal with us. And the Broncos most likely don't end up with either.

If we sign Abraham that's a lot of defensive edge players.

Jones, Collins, Ninkovich, Abraham, Francis, Bequette, Cunningham, Buchanan... I'd take it as a sign that Ninkovich will be off the line a lot more.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

Jones, Collins, Ninkovich, Abraham, Francis, Bequette, Cunningham, Buchanan... I'd take it as a sign that Ninkovich will be off the line a lot more.

Two of those guys are probably gone (Cunningham and Buchanan most likely). Francis might get some opportunities to kick inside. Collins will get some (or a lot) of reps standing up.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them move Jones inside in some sub packages. I don't know whether or not it will work, but they have the personnel to try it.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

Two of those guys are probably gone (Cunningham and Buchanan most likely). Francis might get some opportunities to kick inside. Collins will get some (or a lot) of reps standing up.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them move Jones inside in some sub packages. I don't know whether or not it will work, but they have the personnel to try it.

Now when you say "standing up", do you mean as a 34 OLB or 43 Sam LB or 43 DE as a Leo?
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Now when you say "standing up", do you mean as a 34 OLB or 43 Sam LB or 43 DE as a Leo?

Same role as Ninkovich on passing downs this past year... standup rusher.

Its really hard to anticipate how all the pieces fit together right now. Strange mix, that is talented but doesn't have an obvious scheme fit. If BB can find an unorthodox way to maximize all this talent simultaneously (Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Collins, Jones, Wilfork, Armstead, Kelly) I'll be super impressed.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:

Same role as Ninkovich on passing downs this past year... standup rusher.

I think Collins will be tried as a stand up player in the 3-3-5 type formations. His athleticism and ability in coverage (assuming he can translate it to the pro level) should be a big asset in sub packages. It will allow them to run effective interior blitzes from any of their LB's while dropping one or more of Mayo/Hightower/Collins into coverage.

I don't see an immediate fit for Collins in base packages, but I said the same of Jones last year so who knows. Unlike Jones last year, the Pats actually have decent options at DE this year so there's no rush to push Collins into a DE role.

I think they might give him a look at 4-3 OLB but I don't see him actually sticking there barring a bunch of injuries or an unexpected personnel move. Belichick will probably want to get Collins some experience in camp/pre-season all over the field so they can maximize his versatility in the pros.

A good comp for the way I envision him being used is Roman Phifer's role with the Pats. Sometimes standing up rushing, sometimes standing up dropping into coverage, sometimes hand down rushing. How he fits in the long run really depends on what he shows in camp. IMO there's a good chance he will struggle initially as a pass-rusher and get more coverage duties as he develops his pass rush moves and builds strength.

Quote:

Its really hard to anticipate how all the pieces fit together right now. Strange mix, that is talented but doesn't have an obvious scheme fit. If BB can find an unorthodox way to maximize all this talent simultaneously (Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Collins, Jones, Wilfork, Armstead, Kelly) I'll be super impressed.

Injuries and poor play tend to sort these things out.
patsfan06

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully they sign him.

Maybe for once we can have the problem of too many good guys for but not enough spots for them. Rather than the usual not enough good players to fill the spots.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the signing of Abraham that would pretty much confirm what we think will happen with Collins, in that he'll be a sub rusher and used in obvious passing downs either in place of Chandler (who could kick inside) or anyone who is fatigued.

Perhaps a 3rd and 12's we could roll with a Front (in 3-3-5) of;

- - - -Collins - - - - - Mayo - - - - - - Adrian Wilson

- - - - - - -Jones - - - - - - Wilfork - - - - - - Abraham

Would allow a lot of pass rush possibilities from inside, or outside with blitzes coming from either Wilson or Collins or either of those dropping into coverage and not being at disadvantage.

I'm in no way known for drawing up schemes or anything, so just spit balling here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea at first glance, but everything I have seen up to now suggests Collins weakness to this point is in coverage. I would love to add Abraham to beef up our D and give our young players along the front 7 someone to learn from. I don't want Collins thrown in right away. Our playbook is tough for everyone so the less pressure on him at first the better IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More or less the same report/tweet posted by Billy but it contains a little more info I figured should be worth sharing.

http://musketfire.com/2013/04/27/new-england-patriots-likely-to-land-john-abraham/

Btw, QFT

I_GET_SAX wrote:
I like that idea at first glance, but everything I have seen up to now suggests Collins weakness to this point is in coverage. I would love to add Abraham to beef up our D and give our young players along the front 7 someone to learn from. I don't want Collins thrown in right away. Our playbook is tough for everyone so the less pressure on him at first the better IMO.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
More or less the same report/tweet posted by Billy but it contains a little more info I figured should be worth sharing.

http://musketfire.com/2013/04/27/new-england-patriots-likely-to-land-john-abraham/

Btw, QFT

I_GET_SAX wrote:

What is QFT?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
BP wrote:

Btw, QFT

I_GET_SAX wrote:

What is QFT?

Quote For Truth.
Tom Brady Tribute
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:
BP wrote:

Btw, QFT

I_GET_SAX wrote:

What is QFT?

Quote For Truth.

Ah thanks...never seen it before.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Just informed former #Falcons DE John Abraham is scheduled to visit the #Titans today and tomorrow

http://twitter.com/jwyattsports/statuses/329972939510407169

Oh no...

Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: