Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In Reese We Trust but...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
We cut Rolle, who are we replacing him with? Diehl is working on a pay cut with NYG to stay.

Giants have Big Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Austin, Kuhn at DT
Maybe we draft someone or sign a minimum FA like Bernard, but we are pretty set there

Linebackers we are weak at, but most of our time is in the nickel defense. We do not need a big run stopper.

Jwill and Rivers will run the nickel.

To OL, Beatty was injured so thats why he missed week 1, not for lack of ability.
This will be James Brewers make it or break year at RT in year 3.

Uhhhh this is news to me... link??

Sorry, I was responding to Conquest who wanted to cut Rolle
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
We cut Rolle, who are we replacing him with? Diehl is working on a pay cut with NYG to stay.

Giants have Big Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Austin, Kuhn at DT
Maybe we draft someone or sign a minimum FA like Bernard, but we are pretty set there

Linebackers we are weak at, but most of our time is in the nickel defense. We do not need a big run stopper.

Jwill and Rivers will run the nickel.

To OL, Beatty was injured so thats why he missed week 1, not for lack of ability.
This will be James Brewers make it or break year at RT in year 3.

We NEED linebackers. Rivers runs the nickel for what 4-6 games? Webster should of been cut outright. Cutting webster would of let us bring in someone like Chris Houston or Cary Williams that would of been a legit number 2 corner. Deihl is worthless cut him and give brewer a shot. Screw Mundy and move TT to safety. Too much has gone on in his knees for him to run with today's WRs. I'm ok with Jenkins. Everyone is saying the future the future. Giants are contenders NOW we need players to better this team and contribute NOW. Outside of locking up Nicks and Cruz, which with Cruz's new agent it will get done for less then 8 million, all of their money needs to go into defense. I trust Reese, but I feel like this year more than any other year were missing out on steals other teams are getting. I feel like majority of teams are getting better and were letting key pieces, Bennett, Boothe, KP, get away. For what? Deihl? Webster? Mundy? Ross? Rivers? We have yet to get better at any position this offseason, if anything we have downgraded. Instead of keeping old players around and resigning players that are scrubs or can't stay healthy, use all that money on 1 or 2 players that will contribute right away. DRC went to Denver for 5 million! Denver noticed exactly what was missing last year and addressed it wisely. Same goes for Seattle with certain deals such as bennett and avril. The DB and LB market is very deep, its buyers market and what have we got so far. Ryan Mundy.

Go ahead and disagree, but its true. Next year when Ross is getting burnt on stop n go left and right, Webster is always 10 yards away from his man, and we can't stop anything on 3trd down everyone is going to be complaining. Out with the old in with the new.
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You complain about "key" players we lost way too much.

Linebackers are the most overrated part of our defense espically in this passing NFL. Why can't we have Jwill at LB and T2 as a hybrid safety/LB

Boothe is still a FA

Bennett- Too expensive for what the TE gives us in our offense

Phillips- He did not want to stay, we did not want to keep him unless it was for nothing.

If we cut Webster we would have saved the same amount of money as his pay cut. It would not have helped us bring in another player

Diehl is working on a pay cut with the Giants. At worst he can provide good depth at every position. Hopefully Brewer wins the RT job

Mundy is just a backup who we signed for the minimum and maybe plays the in the box safety

Ross will be the 3rd or 4th CB signed for the minimum. We need to draft a CB though.

Our defense relies on getting pressure. If we cannot get constant pressure does not matter who we have at CB
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year the same storylines come up. We need Linebackers. Why doesn't everyone restructure their contracts so we can go sign a big name. Why aren't we signing a big name.

Someone want to make a list of "big name splashes" the Giants have made in the last decade? Rolle? Does he even count as a big name splash?

We play football in the trenches. That's where our money goes. We're never spending money on LB's. Ever. Unless they find a way to clone LT.

Also no Giants fan gets to complain for about 10 years. We've been spoiled. Live it up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
Every year the same storylines come up. We need Linebackers. Why doesn't everyone restructure their contracts so we can go sign a big name. Why aren't we signing a big name.

Someone want to make a list of "big name splashes" the Giants have made in the last decade? Rolle? Does he even count as a big name splash?

We play football in the trenches. That's where our money goes. We're never spending money on LB's. Ever. Unless they find a way to clone LT.

Also no Giants fan gets to complain for about 10 years. We've been spoiled. Live it up.

I don't want a big name linebacker. Justin durant or daryl smith would help our D a lot and let kiwi play end. I don't consider them big names.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should Cruz return, I'm not worried about the offense. Even with a potential loss of Boothe, I'm confident a healthy Nicks will make this offense better that last years.

The defense on the other hand... There is just no talent in our back 7. I'm shocked by the way some people treat Prince and Jacquain like they're superstars. I just don't see it. Outside of Paul, Joseph, and Prince - every other player on this defense is below average. They were terrible as a unit last year, and with Kenny and Osi leaving, I don't see what there is to be optimistic about.

I'm not asking for a big signing. But we really can't do better than Ryan Mundy and Aaron Ross? If Prince goes down, we have the worst secondary in the league, to go with what has to be the worst LBers.

This will need to be a helluva draft for us to be playing deep into January. Every position on the defense needs help.
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:

Linebackers are the most overrated part of our defense espically in this passing NFL. Why can't we have Jwill at LB and T2 as a hybrid safety/LB

as devils advocate? because the d-line isn't good enough to stop the run. and you can't rely on JWill, who is built like a safety, to be there to stop it either.
kitchenbags

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reese will find the right parts for this team
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Acgott wrote:

as devils advocate? because the d-line isn't good enough to stop the run. and you can't rely on JWill, who is built like a safety, to be there to stop it either.

Do you have a certain someone in mind? The said player needs to be able to cover the pass as well as the run
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
dkebones wrote:
Acgott wrote:

Do you have a certain someone in mind? The said player needs to be able to cover the pass as well as the run

not if you move back to a more traditional base-operated defense. playing strictly 4-2-5 obviously isn't working with the personnel currently assembled. perhaps your "2" ought to be more traditional MLB/SLB type backers, with JWill and the third safety determining the rest of coverage.

i realize i'm not presenting an answer, but i also don't think a JWill-Keither Rivers/Paysinger combo makes any sense whatsoever either. point being, stop trying to force your personnel into a particular scheme and let the players dictate the scheme as appropriate.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not depend on T2 until he can prove he stays healthy. Relying on him at this point is insane
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
I would not depend on T2 until he can prove he stays healthy. Relying on him at this point is insane

Unfortunately, the Giants believe relying on KP is also insane. I think the defense as a whole, including Perry Fewell better show improvement. But I have come to trust Jerry Reese in his judgement, unless we miss the playoffs again ... Confused
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the details of the Justin Durant contract but as broke as the cowboys are why didn't we make a run for him? Sign him to a 1 year contract? We could use the depth at OLB... Rivers hasn't been healthy in his career at JWILL battled injuries last year too. I hate seeing a good player go to a rival. I'm surprised he wasn't on our radar.

I've also read several reports of Vinny Curry being released from the Eagles soon. It's crazy to me to give up on a second round draft pick after only one year, but I think a young DE would be nice. The Eagles were chaos last year, so you can't blame him for his lack of production.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: