Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In Reese We Trust but...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: In Reese We Trust but... Reply with quote

With how cheap of these FA were I'm a little disappointed we didn't make a splash. Sean Smith got 5 mil a year. Michael Bennett got 5 mil. Hell even Avril, the top DE, got about 7.5 mil. Our chances of keeping Osi are high but I would much rather have brought in Smith and/or Bennett... We can make the cap space. Oh and Donald Thomas from NE got I think 3 mil? Cheaper than Boothe more than likely, plus insurance incase Snee is late on his recovery...
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forget, not only do we have to sign free agents, but our own free agents, and draft picks too. not alot of dough to go around.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percellovegiant wrote:
You forget, not only do we have to sign free agents, but our own free agents, and draft picks too. not alot of dough to go around.

Enough to sign a solid DE or CB I think. We can always make cap room
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

That just screws us for future years.
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this great $$$ coming from?

In 2014 our FA's include:

WR Victor Cruz
WR Hakeem Nicks
DT Linval Joseph
DE Justin Tuck

2015:
Prince
JPP

We need our money for the future
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

michael bennett annoys the hell out of me we could of afforded that.
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

We have no money right now... We cannot anyone right now
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

We were 10 mil under the cap before RFA signings. That with drafts is the 10 mil Diehl took a paycut, plus a number of players won't even make the team. Money is there...

We need to sign Cruz and Nicks I agree but Tuck is riddled by injuries... It's obvious we need youth in our DL... I would have much preferred Bennett over Jenkins... And Aaron Ross?! Come on...

Jasper Brinkley could have been a decent pickup and we passed on him. rivers is good when healthy but he played 6 games last year....
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
Acgott wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

We were 10 mil under the cap before RFA signings. That with drafts is the 10 mil Diehl took a paycut, plus a number of players won't even make the team. Money is there...

We need to sign Cruz and Nicks I agree but Tuck is riddled by injuries... It's obvious we need youth in our DL... I would have much preferred Bennett over Jenkins... And Aaron Ross?! Come on...

Jasper Brinkley could have been a decent pickup and we passed on him. rivers is good when healthy but he played 6 games last year....

Your right. Be realistic guys. Are we resigning Justin Tuck?!? no! We have 2 years to save for JPP and Prince. I would of rathered bennett over jenkins as well. The money is there to sign cruz now. When we make cuts and restructure deals next year the money will be there for Nicks. And yes the ross signing is a joke. I thought drafting him was a joke. He was a 25 year old rookie track star with ankle problems.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
Acgott wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
Kodaraw wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

Your right. Be realistic guys. Are we resigning Justin Tuck?!? no! We have 2 years to save for JPP and Prince. I would of rathered bennett over jenkins as well. The money is there to sign cruz now. When we make cuts and restructure deals next year the money will be there for Nicks. And yes the ross signing is a joke. I thought drafting him was a joke. He was a 25 year old rookie track star with ankle problems.

The cowboys can go from like 18 mil over the cap to like 10 million under... Granted in 2015 when they have 19 players making a QB salary they will be in trouble but those contracts are intentionally backloaded so the players can be cut or made to take a pay cut. I agree, Tuck isn't the future anymore. JPP and hopefully Tank are. Bennett would have been a nice pickup. Sean Smith is inconsistent but can jam receivers at the line and would have been a nice compliment to Prince.

Tuck, Snee, Webster, Baas, Diehl... All on the wrong side of 30 and either riddled with injuries or inconsistent to nearly invisible...

I don't know why Diehl is even on the team anymore. Versatility? He can play multiple positions, but he doesn't play any of them well. He should be gone. If we don't have any faith in letting Brewer start why is he even on the team? He's had two seasons to develop.
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say we are 10 mill when FA started

Cruz- 2.879
Andre Brown- 2.02
Stevie Brown- 2.02
Jenkins- 1.7
Torain- .715
Josh Brown- .94

= 10.274 mill
Plus the assumed minimum contacts of Mundy and Rivers
+ Mundy, Rivers (.715) +(.715)

Thats about 11.74

Maybe Diehl cuts half his cap space

=8.2

So maybe we have about 2 million in cap space.

We need 5 million for draft picks

The only thing that we can do is move money from one year to the next which is just a SHORT term fix
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, these "cheap" free agent signings, aren't cheap enough for us. Cullen Jenkins is making less than 2 million this year. Plus why would you want a LE like Michael Bennett payed 5 million? At least Cullen plays a very much needed position at UT.

We can't create money either. Any contract restructured is only deferred money to future years. All you do is guarantee more money to a player to spread the cap hit over his contract. No one worth a damn is going to take a paycut.

We're spending $90,531,195 on only 24 players (that aren't in training camp deals) signed next year. Thats without a potential Cruz deal this year, without Boothe this year, and without the big free agents next year.

You guys are complaining about Aaron Ross, but who can we get thats as cheap or as good for our 4th CB role? Would you rather have Justin Tryon there. Yuck. At least we have won with Aaron Ross playing CB for us.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot down earlier, I expect the Giants to eventually cut Antrelle to save roughly 3.5 M in Cap Space. In my opinion, Diehl is as good as gone also. Was the major liability on the Offense.

The elephant in the Room is Eli's 20 Million dollar Cap Figure. With only two years remaining on the deal, pushing back the base salary is no longer feasible. The Giants should get a longterm deal worked out. I'd be willing to discuss Flacco Money to reduce the cap figures in 2013 & 2014.

Additional Help at Defensive Tackle is needed. Also, the LB corps lacks a starter to flank Jacquian Williams.

In terms of Boothe, I'm starting to loose faith in Pat Flaherty's ability to develop Offensive Linemen during the span of their rookie contracts. Look at Beatty, finally became a legitimate solution at LT 10 weeks prior to hitting Free Agency. Remember- He didn't Start in Week 1, it was Locklear & Diehl.

It's time to develop a Linemen. No need to invest heaviliy at Left Guard, one of the multiple players on the roster need to become the solution at Left Guard. In an ideal world, i see that being Bryant Browning.

UFA Targets Worth Considering:
RT Barry Richardson
DT Sen'Derrick Marks
DT Richard Seymour
LB Dan Connor
LB Karlos Dansby
Acgott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cut Rolle, who are we replacing him with? Diehl is working on a pay cut with NYG to stay.

Giants have Big Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Austin, Kuhn at DT
Maybe we draft someone or sign a minimum FA like Bernard, but we are pretty set there

Linebackers we are weak at, but most of our time is in the nickel defense. We do not need a big run stopper.

Jwill and Rivers will run the nickel.

To OL, Beatty was injured so thats why he missed week 1, not for lack of ability.
This will be James Brewers make it or break year at RT in year 3.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
We cut Rolle, who are we replacing him with? Diehl is working on a pay cut with NYG to stay.

Giants have Big Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun Rogers, Austin, Kuhn at DT
Maybe we draft someone or sign a minimum FA like Bernard, but we are pretty set there

Linebackers we are weak at, but most of our time is in the nickel defense. We do not need a big run stopper.

Jwill and Rivers will run the nickel.

To OL, Beatty was injured so thats why he missed week 1, not for lack of ability.
This will be James Brewers make it or break year at RT in year 3.

Uhhhh this is news to me... link??

Edit- wait nvm i think you were addressing the comment above yours

Last edited by jerseyboy257 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: