Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Anything (Non-Lions) Thread: Meh I Got Nothing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 105, 106, 107  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Why do you guys think high payroll = success?

Doesnt always equal success but more times then not the top teams have high payroll.

Doesnt mean GM or Manager are good. Means they have talented team.

Right now this team wins because they have good pitching and hitting. Not because the Old Goat is making amazing decisions.

Heck Sports Illustrated had cover story of Fielder and Cabrera being 21st Century Mantle and Maris. A lot of managers could win like Leyland is and a lot more could have them 8-10 games up

I'd say at best would be 2 games better. And those would be Valverde's last two games. Other than that there is nothing Leyland did that another manager would have magically done better. Franconia had the talent in Boston, and they still floundered and missed the playoffs. But I'm sure that is ignored in your mind because it hurts your cause. Franconia is so overrated in here. His team is playing ok this year but it's because they went out and spent money on free agents. And they still aren't that good. He wouldn't make that much of a difference to what we have here.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Doesnt always equal success but more times then not the top teams have high payroll.

Right now this team wins because they have good pitching and hitting. Not because the Old Goat is making amazing decisions.

Heck Sports Illustrated had cover story of Fielder and Cabrera being 21st Century Mantle and Maris. A lot of managers could win like Leyland is and a lot more could have them 8-10 games up

I'd say at best would be 2 games better. And those would be Valverde's last two games. Other than that there is nothing Leyland did that another manager would have magically done better. Franconia had the talent in Boston, and they still floundered and missed the playoffs. But I'm sure that is ignored in your mind because it hurts your cause. Franconia is so overrated in here. His team is playing ok this year but it's because they went out and spent money on free agents. And they still aren't that good. He wouldn't make that much of a difference to what we have here.

So it is your contention that having Fielder and Cabrera doesn't help them win?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
Good players get money and successful teams have good players.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Where did I say that? Of course having them in the lineup helps. Having someone else writing the lineup on a card wouldn't change much. Having Jackson hurt and the bullpen struggling is why we aren't 10 games up. And I have zero complaints about the lineups this year. The only issues I have with Leyland are his last couple decisions to leave Velverde in. That's about the only change I think any manager would make to what Leyland has done. That's why the Francona love is blown out of proportion.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Where did I say that? Of course having them in the lineup helps. Having someone else writing the lineup on a card wouldn't change much. Having Jackson hurt and the bullpen struggling is why we aren't 10 games up. And I have zero complaints about the lineups this year. The only issues I have with Leyland are his last couple decisions to leave Velverde in. That's about the only change I think any manager would make to what Leyland has done. That's why the Francona love is blown out of proportion.

Do lower salary teams typically have players of that caliber?
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Nope, and what does that have to do with how we are managed?

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

So it would be fair to say that teams that do have the type of players that help you win require less work to get more wins. And that type of team should be expected to get more wins.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

So it would be fair to say that teams that do have the type of players that help you win require less work to get more wins. And that type of team should be expected to get more wins.

Bingo. Two of best hitters in game and arguably a top 3 rotation. Must be real hard to manage that

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

I'm saying they help. I'm saying that what Leyland has done with this team isn't much different than what most other managers would do, and if it was done different I would probably disagree with it. Other than the use of Valverde recently.

Simply saying 2 good hitters = wins is false. Managing them isn't difficult and takes less work, but managing the rest is what it's about. They have helped V Mart get out of his slump. They have seemed to help Porcello improve who is having a great year aside from the 1 start in Anaheim. And it seems that resting Avila for Pena was the right move and Avila is starting to hit now. He also managed matchups having Tuisasopo and Garcia hit against shields last week and on other occasions. So no, not less work for more wins, I just think that the right work has been done.

detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

I'm saying they help. I'm saying that what Leyland has done with this team isn't much different than what most other managers would do, and if it was done different I would probably disagree with it. Other than the use of Valverde recently.

Simply saying 2 good hitters = wins is false. Managing them isn't difficult and takes less work, but managing the rest is what it's about. They have helped V Mart get out of his slump. They have seemed to help Porcello improve who is having a great year aside from the 1 start in Anaheim. And it seems that resting Avila for Pena was the right move and Avila is starting to hit now. He also managed matchups having Tuisasopo and Garcia hit against shields last week and on other occasions. So no, not less work for more wins, I just think that the right work has been done.

So now Leyland gets credit for hitting coach belong Vmart and pitching coach helping Porcello. Amazing he does it all I guess. Whatever. This team going to be amazing with new coach if open pocketbook around still

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:

For the most part I wouldn't disagree.

Although I think the use of Valverde is a microcosm for Leyland's historic use of used up vets.

I just disagree with people thinking he is a top "whatever" manager in baseball. At best, he gets what he should. And really, much like you said about Valverde, he makes clear mistakes that not every manager would make. Only old coots losing their marbles. And for the most part, considering what he is working with, I think it is very hard to make an argument that he is a + manager. And rather, I find it easy to say he is a - Manager.

Certainly in many cases it doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme. But all the ticky tack mistakes that are clear add up and then when a big one finally does cost a win, it is that much more egregious.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Although I think the use of Valverde is a microcosm for Leyland's historic use of used up vets.

I just disagree with people thinking he is a top "whatever" manager in baseball. At best, he gets what he should. And really, much like you said about Valverde, he makes clear mistakes that not every manager would make. Only old coots losing their marbles. And for the most part, considering what he is working with, I think it is very hard to make an argument that he is a + manager. And rather, I find it easy to say he is a - Manager.

Certainly in many cases it doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme. But all the ticky tack mistakes that are clear add up and then when a big one finally does cost a win, it is that much more egregious.

Every manager makes those mistakes. Every team has left a starter in too long. Every manager has had a closer blow a couple saves back to back. Every manager has had a struggling bullpen. None of them make the right call all the time. That's my issue. People knock Leyland saying Francona is better but Francona got fired because his high priced teams gave up on him and didn't make the playoffs. People always want someone else, until someone else comes along.

Proven fact, our players love playing for Leyland, our players are not down on his decisions. Other players who have played for him loved playing for Leyland. Teams don't quit on him and he has been doing it at a high level for a long time. As much as you dislike him or credit the payroll, the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Blue Jays, and Phillies are in a worse situation than us all with high payrolls. Leyland still has to do his job, and he does it pretty well. He is one of the best, like it or not, and his numbers prove it.

FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Every manager makes those mistakes. Every team has left a starter in too long. Every manager has had a closer blow a couple saves back to back. Every manager has had a struggling bullpen. None of them make the right call all the time. That's my issue. People knock Leyland saying Francona is better but Francona got fired because his high priced teams gave up on him and didn't make the playoffs. People always want someone else, until someone else comes along.

Proven fact, our players love playing for Leyland, our players are not down on his decisions. Other players who have played for him loved playing for Leyland. Teams don't quit on him and he has been doing it at a high level for a long time. As much as you dislike him or credit the payroll, the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Blue Jays, and Phillies are in a worse situation than us all with high payrolls. Leyland still has to do his job, and he does it pretty well. He is one of the best, like it or not, and his numbers prove it.

**sigh**

You continue to lump me in with other people. Get on the same page and try replying again.

I will start with this;
Find even once....ever...I mentioned Francona.

And you continue to look past Leyland's obvious mistakes to mention the meaningless ones. If I was able to overlook things like his love for vets I guess I would love him too.

Valverde, from pitch one this year, was clear he did not have it. ANYONE paying attention would have known that. Any manager with any sense whatsoever would have sent him back to AAA after his first appearance. The velocity was not where it was said it was and the movement was nil. Not to mention he couldn't find the strike zone. He got bailed out by players swinging at garbage and anyone with any sense knows that will not last in MLB.

Leyland is garbage. Old coot, no marbles. Complete moron.
ManeLine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Johan Santana makes $25.5M this year
Adrian Gonzalez makes $21M this year
Roy Halladay makes $20M this year
Barry Zito makes $20M this year
Ryan Howard makes $20M this year

Just a few examples. There's others like ARod and Mark Teixeira who are making an outrageous amount for their production.

High payroll does not = success. I already pointed out like 3-4 of the teams with the highest payrolls in baseball that are in last place. You have to spend the money on the right players like Miggy, Verlander, Sanchez and you have to surround your core guys with a great supporting cast which Dombrowski has. This whole notion that the only reason he has had success is because of the high payroll is absurd.

He is a wizard when it comes to trades. I mean look at them...

Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern, and Burke Badenhop for Miggy and DTrain. [Landslide in the Tigers favor.]

Casper Wells, Charlie Furbush, Francisco Martinez, and Chance Ruffin for Doug Fister and David Pauley. [Another huge win for the Tigers.]

Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly, Brian Flynn and 2nd round pick for Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante and a 1st round pick. [Not as much of a landslide but still a win for the Tigers.]

Giovanni Soto for Jhonny Peralta. [Wow...how did he manage this one? Huge win for the Tigers.]

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but this gives you an idea of how good he is with trades...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Johan Santana makes $25.5M this year
Adrian Gonzalez makes $21M this year
Roy Halladay makes $20M this year
Barry Zito makes $20M this year
Ryan Howard makes $20M this year

Just a few examples. There's others like ARod and Mark Teixeira who are making an outrageous amount for their production.

High payroll does not = success. I already pointed out like 3-4 of the teams with the highest payrolls in baseball that are in last place. You have to spend the money on the right players like Miggy, Verlander, Sanchez and you have to surround your core guys with a great supporting cast which Dombrowski has. This whole notion that the only reason he has had success is because of the high payroll is absurd.

He is a wizard when it comes to trades. I mean look at them...

Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern, and Burke Badenhop for Miggy and DTrain. [Landslide in the Tigers favor.]

Casper Wells, Charlie Furbush, Francisco Martinez, and Chance Ruffin for Doug Fister and David Pauley. [Another huge win for the Tigers.]

Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly, Brian Flynn and 2nd round pick for Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante and a 1st round pick. [Not as much of a landslide but still a win for the Tigers.]

Giovanni Soto for Jhonny Peralta. [Wow...how did he manage this one? Huge win for the Tigers.]

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but this gives you an idea of how good he is with trades...

Rolling Eyes

He gets these because open wallet! Teams trade guys they can't retain or high contracts. It's not all genius work. It's all about money

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 105, 106, 107  Next
Page 84 of 107

Jump to: