Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks sign former Bucs DE Michael Bennett to 1-year, $5M
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Wow. Seattle is cleaning house. Competition is in full swing. I have a sneaky suspicion that Red is going to be kicked inside.

Bennett Red Mebane Avril 1st and 2nd down.

Avril Bennett MEBANE Irvin on 3rd down.

Red can't play inside though. He failed at it badly before Pete got to Seattle.

Even with Dan Quin as a DC? Can't remember.

So that leaves us with 5 very capable DEs (1 Injured) Clem, Red, Irvin, Avril and Bennett.

DT and OL and maybe a Nickel CB. The rest of the picks in this years draft won't make the team.
No he was pretty bad at DT. He couldn't get any leverage. He plays too upright.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that

Last edited by Tatupu_64 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Then he will be forced to take a pay cut or be traded.
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Plush wrote:
red bryant is still elite in a redzone/goal-to-go package, he just needs to give us some money back first.

I'm willing to sig bet that one of Rice, miller or red will be taking a pay cut this off season

Shoot. All 3 should take a cut. The price to play for a championship ball club.

And Bennett and Avril signing is Pete Carroll recruiting 101. He always gets the best player to play for him at a small price.

I do expect all 3 guys to restructure their contracts so they are more cap-friendly.
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
This is at the point where I think players are legitimately signing here for less on short deals to try and win a Super Bowl.

Only negative with that is putting win now pressure on a young qb, i don't think that is a good mix. Not comparing them and i am sure Wilson is mentally tougher than Sanchez but i think part of what has screwed him is the superbowl or bust pressure from his rookie year onwards.

Wilson isn't being asked to throw 4 TD's a game. He'll be fine.

Besides, when did big ben win his first ring?

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
By far my favorite acquisition of the offseason. Bennett is a perfect player to start for us at LDE. Red just doesn't have the pass rush ability to be a 3 down player at the position, but Bennett comes equipped with the ability to both set the edge and rush the passer.

I still HATE Ruskell and Mora for letting Bennett go when it was so clear he was going to be a good player. Glad to get him back and I hope we extend him.

This is unreal. Bennett was one of the top 3 players I wanted this offseason but I didn't think there was any way we would go after him after spending so much on Red last offseason. I think Bennett is perhaps the most impact pick up of the offseason and I think he's going to be a Seahawk for the long-haul.
klyon7634

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in full Beast Mode this offseason!!

Harvin, then Avril, now Bennett WOW!!!!

This pass Rush!!!

On pass downs Avril-Bennett-Scruggs-Irvin Shocked Shocked

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42708/310/free-agency-dose

Quote:
2012 was Bennett's first year as a full-time starter and he responded with a 9-sack season which, as you will soon find out, doesn't even come close to telling the story of how well he played. Bennett does a great job of getting into offensive linemen quickly with his hands and getting arm-extension. He has the power to jar offensive linemen out of their stances and a step into the backfield if they aren't ready for it. Combine that pop off the line of scrimmage with outstanding quickness and athleticism for a man in his 270s, and you can understand why Bennett was effective against the run and the pass.

Some really interesting stats on both Michael Bennett AND Cliff Avril in there. We just signed two very good DEs.
iRaMs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stahp it!

SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favorite part about this deal is that it might actually end up saving us money instead of losing it. We now have the leverage to tell Red to take a paycut or risk going to another team. If Red takes a cut, it's very likely that it could be more than Bennett's contract Laughing

Also note that the Bucs went from one of the worst run defenses in the league in 2011 to being the best YAC run defense in the league in 2012 when Bennett was the starting DE. He also played 11% of his snaps at DT and I expect we'll see a formation of this on passing downs:

Avril - Bennett - Scruggs - Irvin
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn sad to see him go but you guys got 1 hell of a DE

All the stats show you is he is a good passrusher but what they dont show you is he is even better against the run...he contributed huge to our #1 ranked run D last year. He would knock the O-linemen on their back right off the snap of the ball and make the tackle by himself...and he did that 3 or 4 times a game

And also he would drive the Tackle back into the tailback and have their own player make the tackle for a loss and he would do that once or twice a game...man I'm going to miss that

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Mac Miller and Eminem are popular for the same reason
Laughing
Sacks98

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCampBody wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
This is at the point where I think players are legitimately signing here for less on short deals to try and win a Super Bowl.

Only negative with that is putting win now pressure on a young qb, i don't think that is a good mix. Not comparing them and i am sure Wilson is mentally tougher than Sanchez but i think part of what has screwed him is the superbowl or bust pressure from his rookie year onwards.

Wilson will be fine Sanchez never showed any promise.

Tooki wrote:
Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Plush wrote:
red bryant is still elite in a redzone/goal-to-go package, he just needs to give us some money back first.

I'm willing to sig bet that one of Rice, miller or red will be taking a pay cut this off season

Shoot. All 3 should take a cut. The price to play for a championship ball club.

And Bennett and Avril signing is Pete Carroll recruiting 101. He always gets the best player to play for him at a small price.

I do expect all 3 guys to restructure their contracts so they are more cap-friendly.

No leverage with Bryant to take a pay cut unless he wants to be nice.

Quote:
Red cap hit if keep him $7.6, if cut him...$10.6....he aint goin ANYWHERE so just enjoy him.

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/312452967380942849
Tooki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, a restructure is the order of the day!
bill21792

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if Bryant says no??

We cut him (and actually take a bigger cap hit this year from what I read on another forum) and he signs somewhere else, and we have no depth again?

But maybe he loses more money in the long run if he's released and tests the market instead of taking a paycut. I just don't really know the numbers or market demand for him
silus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibucsfan wrote:
Damn sad to see him go but you guys got 1 hell of a DE

All the stats show you is he is a good passrusher but what they dont show you is he is even better against the run...he contributed huge to our #1 ranked run D last year. He would knock the O-linemen on their back right off the snap of the ball and make the tackle by himself...and he did that 3 or 4 times a game

And also he would drive the Tackle back into the tailback and have their own player make the tackle for a loss and he would do that once or twice a game...man I'm going to miss that

Thank the lord. Run defense is the only thing that will stop this team from going all the way.
TheoryofSeahawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ offseason. We made moves and got a whole lot better. Bennett even took a small deal to come here. Hopefully he dominates and we re-sign him to a longer deal next year. I agree with the sentiment that most of our draft picks won't make the squad so we should use them as bargaining chips and get a couple key building blocks. Now the team just needs to capitalize on this momentum and make it happen. The FO is obviously gearing up to win this year. No turning back now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: