Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darrius Heyward-Bey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

If a team signs a low/mid-level free agent and he busts it won't hurt the team too much. The same can't be said if you draft a guy with a higher pick. That's how organizations like the Ravens are able to keep on building and sustaining their teams. Sure they're going to be paid more but a higher draft pick is so much more valuable than the extra cap space it takes to sign a free agent as opposed to what a rookie makes.

It's different if you're talking about guys like Jennings or Wallace who got paid quite a bit but that's not what I'm advocating. If Gibson got about $4 million a year I wouldn't really have wanted him at that price either but that's not too bad. I don't think the WR position is particularly risky if a team has a good QB in place.

The defense is what needs to be focused on for the draft in my opinion. There are a few WR prospects I like but the depth and quality of the defensive prospects should allow the Ravens to get a good one in each of the first three rounds. LT is a need too but like I've said before I don't really like the draft class for that position (where Baltimore will be drafting at least).

And I don't agree with this at all. An asset is an asset. Strong teams don't stay strong by simply drafting well at the top of drafts. They stay strong by being able to find talented, productive players in the later rounds.

Paul Kruger was essentially useless for his first couple seasons here and we got by because we were able to find players like McPhee, Webb, etc. to be great assets later in the draft.

Sergio Kindle just busted and he was our first pick of the 2010 draft... and because we've been able to fill in the gaps with nice talents later in the draft we've gotten by without him.

What you're proposing is to throw a bunch of money at midling WRs who might not even offer better production than what we already have in the roster. What makes a Brandon Gibson a better option than Tandon Doss or David Reed. Gibson was selected in the 6th round and both Reed and Doss were selected in that round or higher. The only difference between Gibson and our young receivers to this point is that we've had, you guessed it, a bunch of veteran FA additions ahead of them on the depth chart to keep them from seeing the same opportunities to produce that Gibson has had.

I see no reason why David Reed or Tandon Doss couldn't be 40 reception, 500 yd receivers in the same vein as Gibson if given field time... so Gibson, and any midling receiver of his caliber, I don't believe to be worth the price.

Only two exceptions come to mind. Derrick Mason and Jacoby Jones. Mason was a probowl receiver that gave our team a chance and believed in the vision of the front office before many really took our thugish defense and horrid QB situation and gave it a true chance. Mason was a culture changing type signing at WR. And Jacoby Jones was different because he was at his lowest point- value wise and we were able to get him on a two year deal that was very cheap in year one that made it incredibly easy to cut him if he didn't produce last season.

And when one considers that the WR position is going to be pretty stacked at the top of the draft... and it would make the decision to sign a middling WR option even worse. WR for the Ravens isn't a FA need. What we're lacking, FA can't give us.

I mean if FA was an answer to our WR problems, then why would we trade Boldin to clear up $6m if we were just going to sign a WR for $4m that would put up half the production as Boldin could in the passing game? Doesn't make a lick of sense IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
And I don't agree with this at all. An asset is an asset. Strong teams don't stay strong by simply drafting well at the top of drafts. They stay strong by being able to find talented, productive players in the later rounds.

Paul Kruger was essentially useless for his first couple seasons here and we got by because we were able to find players like McPhee, Webb, etc. to be great assets later in the draft.

Sergio Kindle just busted and he was our first pick of the 2010 draft... and because we've been able to fill in the gaps with nice talents later in the draft we've gotten by without him.

I don't disagree with this. Mostly. I still value higher round draft picks than a few million dollars worth of cap space that it takes to sign one or two of the low/mid-level free agents. Now if a team signs too many of those types of guys it becomes a problem but the Ravens don't need to do that nor would I want them too. Even without Boldin I don't think there's a lot of room at WR on the team and at the most they could use one more.

Quote:
What you're proposing is to throw a bunch of money at midling WRs who might not even offer better production than what we already have in the roster. What makes a Brandon Gibson a better option than Tandon Doss or David Reed. Gibson was selected in the 6th round and both Reed and Doss were selected in that round or higher. The only difference between Gibson and our young receivers to this point is that we've had, you guessed it, a bunch of veteran FA additions ahead of them on the depth chart to keep them from seeing the same opportunities to produce that Gibson has had.

No, actually I'm not. Like I said before I'm not talking about free agent receivers that are going to get/have gotten a bunch of money. It's still not clear how much money Gibson received from Miami on his 3-year deal but if it's in the $3-4 million per year average (more towards the lower end obviously) then that's the type of signing I'm looking for. I'm probably higher on Gibson than most but I really like him as an outside receiver. Him lined up next to Smith on the outside with Jones working out of the slot is something I would have really liked to see.

Quote:
I see no reason why David Reed or Tandon Doss couldn't be 40 reception, 500 yd receivers in the same vein as Gibson if given field time... so Gibson, and any midling receiver of his caliber, I don't believe to be worth the price.

I don't see any reason that they could be that type of receiver either. Neither Doss or Reed is a guy you want on the outside, which is what I think the Ravens need. An upgrade of QB from Bradford to Flacco for Gibson has to be factored in too. I'm of the belief that QBs make WRs (unless their top of the shelf elite).

Quote:
Only two exceptions come to mind. Derrick Mason and Jacoby Jones. Mason was a probowl receiver that gave our team a chance and believed in the vision of the front office before many really took our thugish defense and horrid QB situation and gave it a true chance. Mason was a culture changing type signing at WR. And Jacoby Jones was different because he was at his lowest point- value wise and we were able to get him on a two year deal that was very cheap in year one that made it incredibly easy to cut him if he didn't produce last season.

Just because it sometimes hasn't worked out in the past doesn't mean that it should preclude the Ravens from attempting to sign a WR in free agency. That's the same train of thought some use to argue that the Ravens shouldn't draft receivers.

Quote:
And when one considers that the WR position is going to be pretty stacked at the top of the draft... and it would make the decision to sign a middling WR option even worse. WR for the Ravens isn't a FA need. What we're lacking, FA can't give us.

I like the draft class for WR too, but like I said before I want this to be a defensive-focused draft for the Ravens. That's one of the main reasons I want Baltimore to find a value option at WR in free agency as opposed to drafting one with a higher pick.

Quote:
I mean if FA was an answer to our WR problems, then why would we trade Boldin to clear up $6m if we were just going to sign a WR for $4m that would put up half the production as Boldin could in the passing game? Doesn't make a lick of sense IMO.

That's something I was considering too, but I don't think trading Boldin was mainly about opening up cap space either. The team just didn't value him at his $6 million base salary. It's not a stretch to think they could value a receiver in free agency at $3-$4 million a year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: