Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darrius Heyward-Bey
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Darrius Heyward-Bey Reply with quote

I have a strong gut feeling we will sign him. He has ties with the Ravens going back to his high school days, and though he did not live up to his draft status he has been a productive receiver. I think he could be an excellent complement to Torrey Smith, and a good fit in the Ravens offense, given his size and willingness as a blocker. Obviously his hands are not the greatest, but he still has very good potential and could thrive as a number two receiver. Does anyone else think he could be a good, cheap signing?
DreamKid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We kind of touched on this in the Free Agent forum I think, but yes he would be a good cheap pick up. Maybe a little above that but not really. He has room for growth, great YAC, hands have improved, and it would be interesting to see what our staff could do with him. The bad is his timed speed doesn't match up with his field speed, and his play is inconsistent. Also he is no were near as explosive as Torrey, Torrey has almost 3 gears which he hits fast. DHB has only one gear while running his routes, only after he catches the ball can he hit that second gear with room to build up that long speed of his. He is a possesion wr at this point in his career, but Joe threw to him personally at his rookie workout with us. So maybe we do check him out, but this years wideout class is deep and the FO may look to fill the void that way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go in the opposite direction here and say that I don't think we'll even bring him in for a visit. It would make too much sense and be too obvious.

Hopefully I can counter jinx it because I would really like to see DHB as a Raven.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a logical fit for a guy thats an ideal scheme fit. Having been released, wont loose one of the Compensatory Picks on Kruger, Ellerbe, Cary Williams or potentially Ed Reed to sign the player.

Every Decision must be made by asking this question: Can this player be part of the Next Super Bowl Victory. On a deal that forces DHB to prove he's a player, I could see Ozzie pulling the trigger.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have 4 speedsters on the roster, 3 of whom have questions catching the ball.

Simply put - we don't need a 4th.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind if we signed him, but I prefer a dependable route runner to replace Boldin.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need is a Derrick Mason type IMO... a guy that can get himself open with superb route running. That or a redzone threat that has some size/explosiveness to him, with nice hands, that can really be a factor for us when we're close to the goal line. Other than Pitta, we don't really have a tall guy- maybe Streeter if he develops. Torrey has a great vertical for those situations, but isn't the physical explosive threat that's ideal for those situations.

And DHB doesn't really solve either of those WR needs, so I'm not really a fan of pursuing him at any particular value. If we did, I wouldn't hate the move- I suppose. Just seems like an unnecessary luxury.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
We already have 4 speedsters on the roster, 3 of whom have questions catching the ball.

Simply put - we don't need a 4th.

Not going to lie, I partly agree. DHB does intrigue me though.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Nucky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have signed him instead of David Reed. I want DHB but I want someone like anquan that will do the dirty work and go inside. I thought Torrey and anquan complemented each other so well. I'd never be against adding a Terp Smile
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
Nucky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have signed him instead of David Reed. I want DHB but I want someone like anquan that will do the dirty work and go inside. I thought Torrey and anquan complemented each other so well. I'd never be against adding a Terp Smile
"Fellas, I can tolerate arrogance, conceit, greed but self-pity is the one thing that just chaps my a--. We've experienced difficulty, but I will not tolerate, nor be part of, anything resembling self-pity."- Brian Billick
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind bringing him into camp on a cheap deal and letting him compete.

With regards to his hands, I question whether Torrey can help him out there -- Torrey remarkably improved his hands from his start in the NFL until now and went from questionable to really an asset for him in my opinion. Wonder if Torrey could kind of take him under his wing (despite being younger) and try to work with him a bit.

But, that said, I'd only be interested with a cheap contract.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way DHB is not a Raven is if some other team offers him more money. He is in the EXACT situation that Ozzie looks for. Our front office liked him in the 2009 draft but never had the chance to select him. Now they can get him for next to nothing. There's no doubt in my mind that Ozzie atleast makes an offer. As for how well he'd do here, I'm not really sure. I could see him being a solid #2, but chances are he'd have no more production then what we've already seen him do in Oakland.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
The only way DHB is not a Raven is if some other team offers him more money. He is in the EXACT situation that Ozzie looks for. Our front office liked him in the 2009 draft but never had the chance to select him. Now they can get him for next to nothing. There's no doubt in my mind that Ozzie atleast makes an offer. As for how well he'd do here, I'm not really sure. I could see him being a solid #2, but chances are he'd have no more production then what we've already seen him do in Oakland.

His regular season production shouldn't be that far off of what we are used to getting from Boldin. Now he is nowhere near the redzone threat of Boldin but with the right gameplanning I don't see why he couldn't have a 700-900 yard season with 5-7 TDs as a number 2 for us
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
What we need is a Derrick Mason type IMO... a guy that can get himself open with superb route running. That or a redzone threat that has some size/explosiveness to him, with nice hands, that can really be a factor for us when we're close to the goal line. Other than Pitta, we don't really have a tall guy- maybe Streeter if he develops. Torrey has a great vertical for those situations, but isn't the physical explosive threat that's ideal for those situations.

And DHB doesn't really solve either of those WR needs, so I'm not really a fan of pursuing him at any particular value. If we did, I wouldn't hate the move- I suppose. Just seems like an unnecessary luxury.

Exactly, but idk what kind of guy is out there that we could sign to fulfill that kind of role, however...

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
draftguru1234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Exactly, but idk what kind of guy is out there that we could sign to fulfill that kind of role, however...

There are some guys in the draft who could fulfill that role.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: