Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons re-sign TE Tony Gonzalez to a 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone doing us a favor there sure is a lot of nitpicking and lack of thank you's going around.

So I will be the first. Thank you Billy Spikes for providing us with the info!

XBL GT: L JGOLD L Adopt a Falcon | LB | Paul Worrilow
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgoldiscool wrote:
For someone doing us a favor there sure is a lot of nitpicking and lack of thank you's going around.

I not trying to pick on Billy and I do appreciate the time he takes to post news. But its the same guy that only 6 weeks ago posted that TG retired. We're seeing it more and more with professional journalists, imo it should be more important to get it right than to get it first. Not vice versa.
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

I not trying to pick on Billy and I do appreciate the time he takes to post news. But its the same guy that only 6 weeks ago posted that TG retired. We're seeing it more and more with professional journalists, imo it should be more important to get it right than to get it first. Not vice versa.
I agree. The problem is that tons of people are fighting to be the first. Because in the world of news first is all that matters.

Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

Laughing

This is just funny...

A) I'm not a professional journalist, i am a forum member who just try to help guys out on finding out the news as fast as possible, keep them informed.

B) I don't report anything obviously [weird i have to say it, but you seem to think i do for some reason], so if there is an error, take it up with the source/reporter, like the other Falcons forum members did with DOL in the Brent Grimes thread.

C) How am i supposed to know if a report if false when i post it? if someone is signed and it is reported by everyone, am i suppose to wait 24-48 hours until an official announcement from the team is made about it before i post? do you think someone else who sees the report would?
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

Laughing

This is just funny...

A) I'm not a professional journalist, i am a forum member who just try to help guys out on finding out the news as fast as possible, keep them informed.

B) I don't report anything obviously [weird i have to say it, but you seem to think i do for some reason], so if there is an error, take it up with the source/reporter, like the other Falcons forum members did with DOL in the Brent Grimes thread.

C) How am i supposed to know if a report if false when i post it? if someone is signed and it is reported by everyone, am i suppose to wait 24-48 hours until an official announcement from the team is made about it before i post? do you think someone else who sees the report would?
I think GSU is meaning beyond you. Saying that these professional journalists are getting there info wrong and in turn providing you with false info, thus creating a chain effect.

Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgoldiscool wrote:
I think GSU is meaning beyond you. Saying that these professional journalists are getting there info wrong and in turn providing you with false info, thus creating a chain effect.

But by saying "this is the same guy who posted..." he is blaming me, that is just wrong, as i explained.
Tom Brady Tribute
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

But by saying "this is the same guy who posted..." he is blaming me, that is just wrong, as i explained.

what was the link that made you think Gonzalez retired?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15552416

Theres the thread you posted. Please show me where retirement was mentioned in the link.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

Theres the thread you posted. Please show me where retirement was mentioned in the link.

Exactly what he said:

Quote:
Tony Gonzalez: "Iíve had an unbelievable ride. Yeah, it might not have culminated in a Super Bowl, but I canít complain."

He said he had an unbelievable ride and too bad he never reached a Superbowl in his career, but it was great and he can't complain.

Everyone else understood it the same way... yes 2-3 months afterwards [now] he changed his mind but at the time that was him saying he was done.
Tom Brady Tribute
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

Exactly what he said:

Quote:
Tony Gonzalez: "Iíve had an unbelievable ride. Yeah, it might not have culminated in a Super Bowl, but I canít complain."

He said he had an unbelievable ride and too bad he never reached a Superbowl in his career, but it was great and he can't complain.

Everyone else understood it the same way... yes 2-3 months afterwards [now] he changed his mind but at the time that was him saying he was done.

Wait... so first it was other journalists fault and now its gonzalez'? And not everyone understood it the same way, as I dont believe many if any major networks or news sites reported it. You took a leap and was wrong.

I already stated I wasnt trying to single you out, but admit a mistake and move on.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:

Exactly what he said:

Quote:

Wait... so first it was other journalists fault and now its gonzalez'? And not everyone understood it the same way, as I dont believe many if any major networks or news sites reported it. You took a leap and was wrong.

I already stated I wasnt trying to single you out, but admit a mistake and move on.

First of all i didn't make a mistake, it was reported that way that he decided to retire in other places, i just used that source but plenty of others said he retired. [If you want i can find a number of sources for that but here is one for the New York Times about him returning, read the title and story]:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/tony-gonzalez-giving-retirement-talk-article-1.1286246

Quote:
Tony Gonzalez ends his retirement before it starts - Back in January, after the Falcons fell to the 49ers in the NFC title game, all signs pointed to the 37-year-old tight end retiring after a likely Hall of Fame career. He talked of having had "an unbelievable ride" and "a great career," and seemed ready to ride off into the sunset.

Or this:
https://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/status/293146212561997824

Second of all you made it seems like this happened several times and somehow it's my fault each time, but you only got one example and that example isn't true. I don't report any of this myself, if you have a problem, blame the sources.
Tom Brady Tribute
SpicyMcHaggis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop defending and deflecting.... if it's not accurate information, it's just not right. One year or two year, how much or how little, whatever.....

THE POINT IS, thank you for the up to the second information, but if it's not 100% accurate.... it's not fact like you put out there.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpicyMcHaggis wrote:
THE POINT IS, thank you for the up to the second information, but if it's not 100% accurate.... it's not fact like you put out there.

Ok... and my point is, blame the source, aka Howard Blazer in this particular case, not me.... it isn't my information that is not 100% accurate, it's his, it's not me saying it is a fact, it's him..

This is no different from NFL.com, Pro Football Talk, any other website who uses reporters sources when they post news, if something turns out wrong, it was based on a source, and that source should be blamed.
Tom Brady Tribute
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
SpicyMcHaggis wrote:

Ok... and my point is, blame the source, aka Howard Blazer in this particular case, not me.... it isn't my information that is not 100% accurate, it's his, it's not me saying it is a fact, it's him..

This is no different from NFL.com, Pro Football Talk, any other website who uses reporters sources when they post news, if something turns out wrong, it was based on a source, and that source should be blamed.

No, you provided the source. Dont post it and we wouldnt have this issue. You seem to be so concerned to out whatever information you can find asap, you dont care if its right or not.

Hint, if major publications arent reporting that Gonzalez retired, he probably didnt.
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
SpicyMcHaggis wrote:

No, you provided the source. Dont post it and we wouldnt have this issue. You seem to be so concerned to out whatever information you can find asap, you dont care if its right or not.

Hint, if major publications arent reporting that Gonzalez retired, he probably didnt.

He's just telling us that its been reported... I don't see what the big deal is...
I would definitely rather have Billy telling us what is being reported than no one doing so.

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
devils1854

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
SpicyMcHaggis wrote:

He's just telling us that its been reported... I don't see what the big deal is...
I would definitely rather have Billy telling us what is being reported than no one doing so.

agreed. some people are whining just to try and make waves, like they always try to do.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: