Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign RB Leon Washington to 1-year, $1.5M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adesilva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything released on money/years yet?
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adesilva wrote:
Anything released on money/years yet?

Not sure about money but I heard it was a 1 yr deal.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Leon Washington's one-year Patriots deal worth $1.5 million, including $360,000 bonus, per a source.

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/312661467218468864
Tom Brady Tribute
BP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Leon Washington's one-year Patriots deal worth $1.5 million, including $360,000 bonus, per a source.

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/312661467218468864
perfect BAM!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
it doesn't make sense to me to ditch edelman. if we're going to kick the tires on vet min type of WRs, why wouldn't we bring back one of the more productive guys we've had on offense recently who already fits in?

and that's not even bringing up what he does for you everywhere else. i'm going to be disappointed if edelman isn't resigned.

I would be disappointed in the downgrade in punt returning and Edelman is a pretty guy kick coverage guy but as a WR and KR he's totally replaceable.

Putting the pieces together it seems like Edelman (like Woodhead) is a guy the Pats would probably like to retain but only on a pretty team friendly contract. I think from their point of view, they've maxed out his upside as a WR or they think his injuries are a real negative to his value.

I'd like him back (as I value punt returns very highly) but they're not losing much, if anything, on offense.
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect much out of him as a running back. Although he'll give you the occasional 10-15 yard gain, most of his work will be in ST. He hasn't had a lot of RB reps ever since Marshawn came so I wouldn't be too worried about his wear and tear.

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a reasonably sizable signing bonus, so it looks like the Pats are either pretty willing to move on from Demps or are willing to keep both. Can't really see them giving him that much money just as insurance for a Demps decision to be made later.
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown_Mamba wrote:
Don't expect much out of him as a running back. Although he'll give you the occasional 10-15 yard gain, most of his work will be in ST. He hasn't had a lot of RB reps ever since Marshawn came so I wouldn't be too worried about his wear and tear.

I only expect him to get a few snaps a game and backup Vereen.
Sciz wrote:
That's a reasonably sizable signing bonus, so it looks like the Pats are either pretty willing to move on from Demps or are willing to keep both. Can't really see them giving him that much money just as insurance for a Demps decision to be made later.

I have a soft spot for Demps and hopes he sticks around. But likely he wont especially attempting to be a 2 sport athlete.
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Troy Brown wrote:
it doesn't make sense to me to ditch edelman. if we're going to kick the tires on vet min type of WRs, why wouldn't we bring back one of the more productive guys we've had on offense recently who already fits in?

and that's not even bringing up what he does for you everywhere else. i'm going to be disappointed if edelman isn't resigned.

I would be disappointed in the downgrade in punt returning and Edelman is a pretty guy kick coverage guy but as a WR and KR he's totally replaceable.

Putting the pieces together it seems like Edelman (like Woodhead) is a guy the Pats would probably like to retain but only on a pretty team friendly contract. I think from their point of view, they've maxed out his upside as a WR or they think his injuries are a real negative to his value.

I'd like him back (as I value punt returns very highly) but they're not losing much, if anything, on offense.

I wouldnt be surprised if Clev outbid us from the start which is why we pursued Cribbs.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

I wouldn't assume Washington is a lock for the roster if Demps commits himself to 100% football and shows he's an NFL caliber player (I don't think either of those are likely).

$360,000 dead money isn't going to affect anything, especially since it would be gone quickly.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty unspectacular signing on all fronts. With age affecting him recently, KR and PR won't see too much of a boost and I really don't want him to be taking snaps away from Vereen, who has shown improvement in all areas and will only further improve in his 3rd season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
This is a pretty unspectacular signing on all fronts. With age affecting him recently, KR and PR won't see too much of a boost and I really don't want him to be taking snaps away from Vereen, who has shown improvement in all areas and will only further improve in his 3rd season.

The impact on the KR game I'm pretty optimistic about, if only because going from bad (or below average) to above average will be noticeable.

As a punt returner, he's definitely a step down from Edelman at this point.
Grachuus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

I wouldn't assume Washington is a lock for the roster if Demps commits himself to 100% football and shows he's an NFL caliber player (I don't think either of those are likely).

$360,000 dead money isn't going to affect anything, especially since it would be gone quickly.

Yeah. The way I see it frequently the Pats are willing to bring in competition at a position like Washington, and see who shakes out. It's money well spent if it costs you less than half a mil and you end up with quality product on the field regardless of whether you paid that money to the guy making the roster or not. Great insurance policy really.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:

The impact on the KR game I'm pretty optimistic about, if only because going from bad (or below average) to above average will be noticeable.

I really don't think signing a player solely to upgrade the KR game is necessary though, with the amount of KO's going for TB's now, it is becoming an increasingly pointless aspect of the game.

What I'm most worried about is that the signing means less snaps for Vereen, which I don't think any of us want.

Effectively, I think we've wasted money and a roster spot on Washington. I believe we could roll with 3 RB's (assuming Demps is gone) and if one of those were injured/suspended, pick up an UDFA or Vet FA to fill the RB hole and we could keep Slater or Edelman on the low amount of KR's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:

I really don't think signing a player solely to upgrade the KR game is necessary though, with the amount of KO's going for TB's now, it is becoming an increasingly pointless aspect of the game.

What I'm most worried about is that the signing means less snaps for Vereen, which I don't think any of us want.

Effectively, I think we've wasted money and a roster spot on Washington. I believe we could roll with 3 RB's (assuming Demps is gone) and if one of those were injured/suspended, pick up an UDFA or Vet FA to fill the RB hole and we could keep Slater or Edelman on the low amount of KR's.

Completely disagree. With Woody gone the position needs legitimate competition all around. An IRed rookie is not great impetus for folks to work in the off season. one or two guys is probably not making the team, doesn't mean it's a bad use of capital. The Patriots attack is going to increasingly rely on quality running as Brady ages. Can't afford regression at this position.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a returner late in the draft to compete with Washington.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: