Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kenny Phillips signs with Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle beat me to it.

Do you guys remember our plaxico offense and then our plaxico-less offense that year?? We went from 11-1 to1-4. Reason?

He cheddar bobbed himself Wink

We had an offense that focused on plax.

We lose him and life falls apart. 2 years later, we win a superbowl again and eli is as elite as brady brees and Peyton

Why?

We don't stick the same formation and move on

Phillips won't do carp at philly. T squared rolle brown and will hill (a stud in college if it wasn't for his Twitter account) will do fine

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, but I think Will Hill is just a younger, healthier KP. He's my breakout player on defense for the Giants this year. Him and Rolle will be starting by midseason, with Stevie still getting a lot of play time in our 3 safety sets. I'm really, really comfortable with our safety situation.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Xfaxtor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah safety is the least of our worries....
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the Eagles will get the full download of all calls from KP and cut him after camp. KP was one of my favorites. But it was time to move on. I too am really high on Will Hill.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's telling that the Giants didn't even attempt to match the eagles offer and just went ahead with Mundy as soon as Phillips priced himself out of their reach. I am sure the feeling was mutual, the giants want to invest in players who don't have arthritic knees and Phillips wants to play for big money. These things happen, but it's not the first time a giants player went to the eagles. Laughing

Honestly, I think more people are upset that Phillips was a favorite of theirs and that he will be playing on an NFC east team. Guess it's like Justin Tuck or JPP leaving and playing for the cow boys ... I think I just vomited guys ...
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:

Again, read what I wrote. For the safety position the most important part is taking good angles and being in good positions. He did those things very well last year. Its not just INTs or FF or FR. I disagree strongly that KP is a smarter player and that is very subjective.

The correlation isn't there imo. We were just playing harder and our dline was getting quick pressure those games. Also, another very subjective thing to base it on.

So what you're saying the defense will suck, because an injury will happen? Seriously, thats a very bad way to look at this. We have okay depth right now and only 3 days into free agency. Need to see the end result. Also how is KP supposed to offer more security at S when it comes to injury? I agree with Fewel not using Prince to his best ability though.

Thats okay with me. Im not saying the D will be great, but if the D isn't good, its not because of KP. Its because of Corey Webster or the passrush most likely.

So if you compare the numbers when KP played and when he didnt play, dont you think having KP mattered. If Stevie Brown is not getting turnovers hes quite suspect. I just think our D did not get better with the loss of KP and got worse.

Kenny had reportedly been helping or giving him tips all year, smarter may not be the right term to use but lets used the word experienced.

It works hand in hand, dont you think there were times that the secondary couldve bought some extra time? KP was not only important from his play but schematically.

No the defense will suck because we lost a vital piece to the puzzle, PF incorrect use of prince and to go along with it, the inevitable injuries.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
So if you compare the numbers when KP played and when he didnt play, dont you think having KP mattered. If Stevie Brown is not getting turnovers hes quite suspect. I just think our D did not get better with the loss of KP and got worse.

Kenny had reportedly been helping or giving him tips all year, smarter may not be the right term to use but lets used the word experienced.

It works hand in hand, dont you think there were times that the secondary couldve bought some extra time? KP was not only important from his play but schematically.

No the defense will suck because we lost a vital piece to the puzzle, PF incorrect use of prince and to go along with it, the inevitable injuries.

That's not what Im saying. What Im saying is that last year we we're inconsistent week to week. Its hard to put credence on one player in those situations. In addition, KP was playing in addition to Brown, not replacing him. You can't measure the impact there on whos better than the other. I don't think KP was that much of a difference maker.

What makes you say that Stevie - turnovers = him being suspect?

Sure he knew the system better, but thats just from being here for what 5 years?

Thats why I used the words quick pressure. Also I think Will Hill can easily replace him schematically. If we're going to have trouble its going to be with Webster and the passrush. KP over what we have wasn't going to make a huge difference.

^Stone85 on the sig^
reckless123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:

That's not what Im saying. What Im saying is that last year we we're inconsistent week to week. Its hard to put credence on one player in those situations. In addition, KP was playing in addition to Brown, not replacing him. You can't measure the impact there on whos better than the other. I don't think KP was that much of a difference maker.

What makes you say that Stevie - turnovers = him being suspect?

Sure he knew the system better, but thats just from being here for what 5 years?

Thats why I used the words quick pressure. Also I think Will Hill can easily replace him schematically. If we're going to have trouble its going to be with Webster and the passrush. KP over what we have wasn't going to make a huge difference.

It makes him suspect because hes not doing much if he isnt getting turnovers. Hes not getting 8 ints every year. Im not saying it was fluke season because he can get 4 or 5 ints a year and ill be fine. Like i said, see Kyle Arrington.

Our defense was not inconsistent week to week. Our defense had a few very good games last year and i dont think it was a coincidence that it happened when KP was playing. It wasnt week to week. It was through stretches. Like i said, his its not just his level of play but it allows flexibility schematically. He was a valuable part to the defense.

This was a very risky move.

minutemancl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping him was a risky move, not letting him go. Whether you like it or not, guy is damaged goods. Whether he can regain form to how he was pre-injury is yet to be seen.

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
It makes him suspect because hes not doing much if he isnt getting turnovers. Hes not getting 8 ints every year. Im not saying it was fluke season because he can get 4 or 5 ints a year and ill be fine. Like i said, see Kyle Arrington.

Our defense was not inconsistent week to week. Our defense had a few very good games last year and i dont think it was a coincidence that it happened when KP was playing. It wasnt week to week. It was through stretches. Like i said, his its not just his level of play but it allows flexibility schematically. He was a valuable part to the defense.

I disagree with that completely. He was good in the run game (had 76 tackles last year), was good in coverage other than just INTs. What does Kyle Arrington have to do with this? Jarius Byrd would be a much better example.

Points given up: 24-34-7-19-27-3-23-24-24-31-10-17-27-34-33-7. There's nothing consistent there expect a stretch of 23-24-24. Up and down game by game.

Great defensive games: Carolina, San Francisco, Green Bay and the Eagles. Two of those teams suck (Phily had basically given up). He played against only one of Green Bay and San Fran.

I don't think KP would allow us anymore scheme versatility than what we have with Antrel, Stevie and Hill.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

^Stone85 on the sig^
reckless123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

I disagree with that completely. He was good in the run game (had 76 tackles last year), was good in coverage other than just INTs. What does Kyle Arrington have to do with this? Jarius Byrd would be a much better example.

Points given up: 24-34-7-19-27-3-23-24-24-31-10-17-27-34-33-7. There's nothing consistent there expect a stretch of 23-24-24. Up and down game by game.

Great defensive games: Carolina, San Francisco, Green Bay and the Eagles. Two of those teams suck (Phily had basically given up). He played against only one of Green Bay and San Fran.

I don't think KP would allow us anymore scheme versatility than what we have with Antrel, Stevie and Hill.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Philly i'll give you that one. But that Carolina offense is nothing to sneeze at especially with that zone read. My point with Kyle Arrington is that he didnt offer much more outside the ints. Tackling is a bad way to judge a safety. That stat is so subjective.

Yes you can bring up those 3 but are they as effective? We saw in the Ravens, Falcons game that they werent very good together. Stevie showed last season that he can get his hands on the ball. But i didnt see much outside of that. You cant match him up vs TE's because he will get shredded.

Just to be clear im not arguing that we shouldnt have let Brown go, i merely pointing out that our secondary got worse with the loss of KP and im not comfortable with the current state of the secondary.

Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Philly i'll give you that one. But that Carolina offense is nothing to sneeze at especially with that zone read. My point with Kyle Arrington is that he didnt offer much more outside the ints. Tackling is a bad way to judge a safety. That stat is so subjective.

Yes you can bring up those 3 but are they as effective? We saw in the Ravens, Falcons game that they werent very good together. Stevie showed last season that he can get his hands on the ball. But i didnt see much outside of that. You cant match him up vs TE's because he will get shredded.

Just to be clear im not arguing that we shouldnt have let Brown go, i merely pointing out that our secondary got worse with the loss of KP and im not comfortable with the current state of the secondary.

Carolina was playing in the big lights for the first time in a while and they played bad against us. That offense isn't that scary anyway. I agree tackles are a bad way to judge safeties but really what do we have to use as a statistic on safeties? Its at least an indication he is present in the run game. I agree/agreed that INTs mean little as a landmark, but I disagree that Stevie offers nothing beyond that.

I haven't seen anything out of Stevie that tells me he will get destroyed when matched up with tight ends. I actually think the opposite. He has versatility playing in space and playing in the box.

I get that but for us to get worse the replacement has to be worse and I disagree with that. I think Antrel and Stevie with Will Hill and potentially Terrell Thomas can potentially be an improvement to that group let alone a downgrade.

^Stone85 on the sig^
reckless123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Carolina was playing in the big lights for the first time in a while and they played bad against us. That offense isn't that scary anyway. I agree tackles are a bad way to judge safeties but really what do we have to use as a statistic on safeties? Its at least an indication he is present in the run game. I agree/agreed that INTs mean little as a landmark, but I disagree that Stevie offers nothing beyond that.

I haven't seen anything out of Stevie that tells me he will get destroyed when matched up with tight ends. I actually think the opposite. He has versatility playing in space and playing in the box.

I get that but for us to get worse the replacement has to be worse and I disagree with that. I think Antrel and Stevie with Will Hill and potentially Terrell Thomas can potentially be an improvement to that group let alone a downgrade.

Hes short for one and i know it was one game but he struggled against Witten which isnt a bad thing. I dont think he can play in the box, thats a job for Will Hill. Other than ints i didnt see what Stevie Brown did. KP could match up with TEs and you saw in the eagles game that KP caused the turnover which ultimately led to Stevie's int. KP could stop the run. And if you look at his career in terms of turnovers, its somewhat understandable. IRookie year, not used much had 1 int. 2nd year, just about to breakout then he has a season ending injury. 3rd season, Fewell "babied" him as he said and had 1 int. The next season he plays every game except one and has 4 - pretty good. And now this season with that knee sprain he has 0.

That Carolina offense isnt an elite offense but its good. It creates so many problems.

Im sorry what i saw in the Baltimore game and the ATL game is enough to worry me. Losing KP doesnt make us better it makes us worse, now how much worse i dont know but we got worse with his loss. I hope im wrong in this.

Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Hes short for one and i know it was one game but he struggled against Witten which isnt a bad thing. I dont think he can play in the box, thats a job for Will Hill. Other than ints i didnt see what Stevie Brown did. KP could match up with TEs and you saw in the eagles game that KP caused the turnover which ultimately led to Stevie's int. KP could stop the run. And if you look at his career in terms of turnovers, its somewhat understandable. IRookie year, not used much had 1 int. 2nd year, just about to breakout then he has a season ending injury. 3rd season, Fewell "babied" him as he said and had 1 int. The next season he plays every game except one and has 4 - pretty good. And now this season with that knee sprain he has 0.

That Carolina offense isnt an elite offense but its good. It creates so many problems.

Im sorry what i saw in the Baltimore game and the ATL game is enough to worry me. Losing KP doesnt make us better it makes us worse, now how much worse i dont know but we got worse with his loss. I hope im wrong in this.

Hows he short? 5'11 is good height for a safety. He has played LB in college. Believe me he can play in the box. He is very versatile. Stevie has shown that he can stop the run also.

Its okay, but Cam was totally rattled by the light in that game.

Im worried much more about our passrush then anything else tbh.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@MikeGarafolo: Kenny Phillips' deal with the Eagles: 1 year, $1.85m; up to another $1m in incentives.

The other 1M is game roster bonus. Shows that we were completely uninterested in him.

^Stone85 on the sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: