Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kenny Phillips signs with Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Acgott


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 8848
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in a passing league, a RB is not that important. We could have found a decent RB in the middle of the draft
Our defense needed more work then what was given to it last year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jerseyboy257


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 588
Location: Northern Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Yes in a passing league, a RB is not that important
Our defense needed more work then what was given to it last year

RB is not that important? Really now? I'm sure just about 32 GMs in the league would disagree on that.
_________________
G. Robinson, K. Mack, J. Matthews, M. Evans, A. Donald,
O. Beckham, H. Clinton-Dix, J. Verrett, M. Smith, J. Ward,
D. Lawrence, J. Matthews, W. Richburg, J. Amaro, J. Attaochu, D. Adams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acgott


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 8848
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Yes in a passing league, a RB is not that important
Our defense needed more work then what was given to it last year

RB is not that important? Really now? I'm sure just about 32 GMs in the league would disagree on that.

The value of a 1st round RB as opposed to a 4th round RB is not that big as opposed to say a 1st round DE to a 4th Round DE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jerseyboy257


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 588
Location: Northern Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
Yes in a passing league, a RB is not that important
Our defense needed more work then what was given to it last year

RB is not that important? Really now? I'm sure just about 32 GMs in the league would disagree on that.

The value of a 1st round RB as opposed to a 4th round RB is not that big as opposed to say a 1st round DE to a 4th Round DE

That's not what you said though.. you said "in a passing league, a RB is not that important". If you're talking about the value of a running back in direct correlation to their draft round status, that's a different thing. Maybe you weren't a fan of the pick, but if Reese sees a future star and a unique, explosive play-maker who would bring an immediate threat to opposing defenses and make our offense even more dynamic and explosive, then he obviously could not pass on that talent. I usually trust Reese's judgements, and I personally think we saw enough in Wilson last year that proved he can be the player that Reese believes him to be.
_________________
G. Robinson, K. Mack, J. Matthews, M. Evans, A. Donald,
O. Beckham, H. Clinton-Dix, J. Verrett, M. Smith, J. Ward,
D. Lawrence, J. Matthews, W. Richburg, J. Amaro, J. Attaochu, D. Adams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acgott


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 8848
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original point was I did not like drafting a RB in the first.
We could have found a RB that got the job done

The value we get from Wilson, could have been found in the later draft. There were much bigger areas that we need help in more
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jerseyboy257


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 588
Location: Northern Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
My original point was I did not like drafting a RB in the first.
We could have found a RB that got the job done

The value we get from Wilson, could have been found in the later draft. There were much bigger areas that we need help in more

Okay you can think that, but it's Reese and the Giants front office calling the shots--not you, and they obviously felt differently.
_________________
G. Robinson, K. Mack, J. Matthews, M. Evans, A. Donald,
O. Beckham, H. Clinton-Dix, J. Verrett, M. Smith, J. Ward,
D. Lawrence, J. Matthews, W. Richburg, J. Amaro, J. Attaochu, D. Adams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acgott


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 8848
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
My original point was I did not like drafting a RB in the first.
We could have found a RB that got the job done

The value we get from Wilson, could have been found in the later draft. There were much bigger areas that we need help in more

Okay you can think that, but it's Reese and the Giants front office calling the shots--not you, and they obviously felt differently.

Of course, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
w4rrior723


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 5147
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
My original point was I did not like drafting a RB in the first.
We could have found a RB that got the job done

The value we get from Wilson, could have been found in the later draft. There were much bigger areas that we need help in more

Okay you can think that, but it's Reese and the Giants front office calling the shots--not you, and they obviously felt differently.

Of course, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything?


I think he's saying this website should be shut down. No one on this site is in charge of anything in the NFL, so they shouldn't be discussing it... right?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jerseyboy257


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 588
Location: Northern Jersey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
My original point was I did not like drafting a RB in the first.
We could have found a RB that got the job done

The value we get from Wilson, could have been found in the later draft. There were much bigger areas that we need help in more

Okay you can think that, but it's Reese and the Giants front office calling the shots--not you, and they obviously felt differently.

Of course, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything?


I think he's saying this website should be shut down. No one on this site is in charge of anything in the NFL, so they shouldn't be discussing it... right?

No, what are you talking about? I'm saying the obvious. Reese's philosophy is BPA and it has consistently proven to work for us, which is why he's the best GM in the NFL and why we have 2 SB championships in the past 6 years. I'm justifying his decision in the Giants selecting Wilson, because they believed that he was the best player at pick 32. That's just how they valued him. I trust in Reese and his assessments and decisions and believe that Wilson will be worth the first-round selection, and that Reese's philosophy will continue to pay off like it has in the past.
_________________
G. Robinson, K. Mack, J. Matthews, M. Evans, A. Donald,
O. Beckham, H. Clinton-Dix, J. Verrett, M. Smith, J. Ward,
D. Lawrence, J. Matthews, W. Richburg, J. Amaro, J. Attaochu, D. Adams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acgott


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 8848
Location: USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Acgott wrote:
My original point was I did not like drafting a RB in the first.
We could have found a RB that got the job done

The value we get from Wilson, could have been found in the later draft. There were much bigger areas that we need help in more

Okay you can think that, but it's Reese and the Giants front office calling the shots--not you, and they obviously felt differently.

Of course, but I am not sure what that has to do with anything?


I think he's saying this website should be shut down. No one on this site is in charge of anything in the NFL, so they shouldn't be discussing it... right?

No, what are you talking about? I'm saying the obvious. Reese's philosophy is BPA and it has consistently proven to work for us, which is why he's the best GM in the NFL and why we have 2 SB championships in the past 6 years. I'm justifying his decision in the Giants selecting Wilson, because they believed that he was the best player at pick 32. That's just how they valued him. I trust in Reese and his assessments and decisions and believe that Wilson will be worth the first-round selection, and that Reese's philosophy will continue to pay off like it has in the past.

I trust him to, does not mean I agree with all his moves though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Save The Hero


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 7605
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Kenny is by no means a durable but with that being said his health issues are exaggerated. Prior to this year he had missed 1 game in 2 years.

Our defense is doomed this year. Doomed. Even with Stevie Brown's 8 ints we still led the league in big plays allowed. What does that say. When Kenny was in there, we played like a top 10 defense. Stevie Brown is a downgrade to KP. Im sorry. Remember 2 years ago Kyle Arrington had something like 8 ints and nobody is going to mistake him for a good CB. You cant just say Stevie Brown had 8 ints, hes a stud. We still gave up plenty of yards and the most big plays, what does that say.

I know our cap situation but this is going to bite us in butt big time. KP injury situation is similar to Hakeem. Our defense will suck this year without him as it did last year.


I disagree with that. Look at his track record. Its not just the NFL. He was fragile coming out of college too.

That says the passrush sucked, Corey Webster sucked and we underperformed. No we didn't play like a top 10 defense with Kenny there. We we're never consistent last year. It wasn't because Kenny was there.

I'm not saying that he has 8 INTs and he's a stud. Im saying he was in position to make a lot of big plays. He was for the most part very good. In his senior year of college he was playing LB, because Michigan needed him. He has come a long way and developed very well. Calling him a downgrade would be premature.

Disagree. I think our D bounces back big time. Its all up to Corey and upfront though. If they can return somewhat to form, we'll be fine.
_________________

^Stone85 on the sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 15743
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillips looked like he was going to be a game changing safety prior to his injury. He looked like he was a legit 220 pounds, and moved like a guy much smaller. He never really got back to that point after his injury. He was solid, but he wasn't a game changer. I think the fact that he got only a one year deal shows that other teams are concerned with his longevity as well.

I don't think his role will be that difficult to replace. Stevie Brown had as many INTs in one season as Phillips had in five. It's obviously not all about turnovers, but you'd like to see your center fielder make more big plays than Phillips made. I also have high hopes for Will Hill, who's development would be stunted had Phillips returned. He has the makings of a very good safety. He's a long, rangy and plays aggressive.
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GmenSeattle


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 10145
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people really think that the big plays would've been stopped by KP? I believe the stat was that QBs had a 104 rating when throwing to WR's covered by Webster. That's Webster. Not our safeties. KP is the new Steve Smith. Or Plax.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 12567
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Kenny is by no means a durable but with that being said his health issues are exaggerated. Prior to this year he had missed 1 game in 2 years.

Our defense is doomed this year. Doomed. Even with Stevie Brown's 8 ints we still led the league in big plays allowed. What does that say. When Kenny was in there, we played like a top 10 defense. Stevie Brown is a downgrade to KP. Im sorry. Remember 2 years ago Kyle Arrington had something like 8 ints and nobody is going to mistake him for a good CB. You cant just say Stevie Brown had 8 ints, hes a stud. We still gave up plenty of yards and the most big plays, what does that say.

I know our cap situation but this is going to bite us in butt big time. KP injury situation is similar to Hakeem. Our defense will suck this year without him as it did last year.


I disagree with that. Look at his track record. Its not just the NFL. He was fragile coming out of college too.

That says the passrush sucked, Corey Webster sucked and we underperformed. No we didn't play like a top 10 defense with Kenny there. We we're never consistent last year. It wasn't because Kenny was there.

I'm not saying that he has 8 INTs and he's a stud. Im saying he was in position to make a lot of big plays. He was for the most part very good. In his senior year of college he was playing LB, because Michigan needed him. He has come a long way and developed very well. Calling him a downgrade would be premature.

Disagree. I think our D bounces back big time. Its all up to Corey and upfront though. If they can return somewhat to form, we'll be fine.


Like i said, ints are not be all end all. See Kyle Arrington. No doubt he made his plays but Kenny has that knowledge and IQ that Stevie doesnt have.

When Kenny was there we looked like a top 10 defense most of the time like the GB game, SF game, Eagles game, Panthers game etc. Im not saying the reason we were so bad was because of Kenny's injury but it play a huge role. This signing will hurt us big time.

Here is why our D wont bounce back because somebody very important will get injured and that is likely to occur in the secondary. Plus, i dont think PF is using Prince properly and our defense has some age on it. Lets just say i have low expectations for our D this season.
_________________


"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Save The Hero


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 7605
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Like i said, ints are not be all end all. See Kyle Arrington. No doubt he made his plays but Kenny has that knowledge and IQ that Stevie doesnt have.

When Kenny was there we looked like a top 10 defense most of the time like the GB game, SF game, Eagles game, Panthers game etc. Im not saying the reason we were so bad was because of Kenny's injury but it play a huge role. This signing will hurt us big time.

Here is why our D wont bounce back because somebody very important will get injured and that is likely to occur in the secondary. Plus, i dont think PF is using Prince properly and our defense has some age on it. Lets just say i have low expectations for our D this season.


Again, read what I wrote. For the safety position the most important part is taking good angles and being in good positions. He did those things very well last year. Its not just INTs or FF or FR. I disagree strongly that KP is a smarter player and that is very subjective.

The correlation isn't there imo. We were just playing harder and our dline was getting quick pressure those games. Also, another very subjective thing to base it on.

So what you're saying the defense will suck, because an injury will happen? Seriously, thats a very bad way to look at this. We have okay depth right now and only 3 days into free agency. Need to see the end result. Also how is KP supposed to offer more security at S when it comes to injury? I agree with Fewel not using Prince to his best ability though.

Thats okay with me. Im not saying the D will be great, but if the D isn't good, its not because of KP. Its because of Corey Webster or the passrush most likely.
_________________

^Stone85 on the sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group