Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Safety Kenny Phillips and CB Carey Williams sign with Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rememberthevet wrote:
Gmen wrote:
titwio wrote:
WhackyPlague wrote:
titwio wrote:
So much hatred going on over this deal right now. The Eagles got an absolute steal here. If I were Kenny Phillips I would have fired my agent if that's the best deal he came back with.

Dude would've been kicking rocks.

I think it means that teams are very worried about his knees.

That's the thing though....there haven't been any reports saying he's not medically cleared. He had a minor knee injury this year but he came back and played. the year before (2011) he played great and showed he was completely passed the recovery stage.

Idk....I'm just really baffled over this situation. The Giants go out and sign Ryan Mundy for about only mill less but don't bring back the younger, better, more familiar with the scheme, team leader and first round talent?

Anyway...congrats. You guys got a real good player for next to nothing.

He has a degenerative knee condition where the cartilage wears away. So eventually you get bone on bone contact in your knees. That's the reason he had that surgery a few years ago and missed a season. When news of that came out, there were rumors he might have to retire. He came back and gave us a few solid years, but wasn't a play maker. He wisely dropped his weight down from 220 to about 200 so there is less wear on his knees, but even with that he never regained his explosiveness. That knee condition isn't going to get any better, and his play probably won't either. It's a real concern, and the contract is indicative of that concern.

Does anyone know if he had the platelette procedure Kobe got? After reading about the degenerative knee condition, it sounds like Phillips was brought in to push Nate Allen, not necessarily to replace him. We are without a doubt drafting a FS between rounds 2 and 4.

To clarify this from a medical standpoint, this "degenerative knee condition" is simply arthritis. There are three aspects to the knee joint. The medial (inside), the lateral (outside) and the patellofemoral (kneecap) aspects. In 2009, Kenny underwent microfracture surgery on his patellofemoral aspect. The bones in your knee (i.e. the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone)) are incased in articular cartilage. This is a protective covering all the bones in all the joints of the body possess and is vital to smooth, gliding, pain free joint movement. When this wears away due to constant rubbing and wear and tear that just about every athlete faces, it causes pain. In 2009 Kenny underwent a microfracture surgery for this problem. The idea is for the surgeon to pound tiny holes into the bone where the articular cartilage is gone with hopes that the resulting bloodflow from the minor trauma will reproduce more cartilage to alleviate knee pain. It has an 80% success rate, so not very good. You or me could prob get back to our beer leagues and intramurals in about 4 months but a pro athlete may never get back to where they were. (For example, I'm fairly sure Victor Abiamiri had this same procedure, remember him?) That being said most Giants fans will agree 2010 and 2011 were solid years for Kenny signifying he had a good recovery. Last season, Lesean juked Kenny's leg off and he tore some fibers in his MCL which required surgery. This could have potentially caused some damage in the knee but it's highly unlikely it was in the same area Kenny had his troubles in the past (the patellofemoral area). MCL surgery has a much better prognosis and I'm sure Kenny is fully recovered from that.

I'm not saying Kenny will necessary get to Hawaii every year but I can't say his knee is as bad as some are making it out to be. Now, Kenny will almost certainly need a knee replacement in about 20 years but that doesn't matter to Eagles fans.

Just something to think about.
Jroc04

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Get this guy a beer and a FF Eagles forum patch!

Well done, sir.

Kilt sig - 808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
jaymiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
^^^

Get this guy a beer and a FF Eagles forum patch!

Well done, sir.

Thanks, pal.

And to further elaborate on Gmen's comments, Kenny posted career highs in interceptions, tackles, and pass deflections in 2011 so to state his play has declined since his 2009 microfracture surgery is simply not true. He's not Ed Reed, but he's not JR Reed either.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php
Quote:
Eagles sign S Kenny Phillips (1 year, $1.85M; $0 guaranteed): A+ Grade
This deal, as announced by USA Today's Mike Garafolo, can be worth up to $2.85 million based on incentives. Regardless, the Eagles hit a home run by signing Kenny Phillips for such a cheap price. Phillips is a very talented safety who was available at a major discount because of his dubious injury history. There's always a chance he'll miss tons of action in 2013, but Philadelphia is not taking that much of a risk at just $1.85 million. Phillips will be a big difference-maker if he stays on the field.

Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php
Quote:
Eagles sign S Kenny Phillips (1 year, $1.85M; $0 guaranteed): A+ Grade
This deal, as announced by USA Today's Mike Garafolo, can be worth up to $2.85 million based on incentives. Regardless, the Eagles hit a home run by signing Kenny Phillips for such a cheap price. Phillips is a very talented safety who was available at a major discount because of his dubious injury history. There's always a chance he'll miss tons of action in 2013, but Philadelphia is not taking that much of a risk at just $1.85 million. Phillips will be a big difference-maker if he stays on the field.

Dancing

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Kempes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giants fans are gonna be MAD if Kenny can stay healthy.

Football gods, please we beg you. We will sacrifice Kurt Coleman for Kenny Phillips.

(Sorry Kurt, I'm sure you're a nice guy)
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kempes wrote:

Football gods, please we beg you. We will sacrifice Kurt Coleman for Kenny Phillips.

We'll throw in Casey Matthews too.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Kempes wrote:

We'll throw in Casey Matthews too.

Yeah you need true football blood to make it a worthwhile sacrifise... Matthews have the family blood, kurt not so much.

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
mlv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymiz wrote:
To clarify this from a medical standpoint, this "degenerative knee condition" is simply arthritis. There are three aspects to the knee joint. The medial (inside), the lateral (outside) and the patellofemoral (kneecap) aspects. In 2009, Kenny underwent microfracture surgery on his patellofemoral aspect. The bones in your knee (i.e. the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone)) are incased in articular cartilage. This is a protective covering all the bones in all the joints of the body possess and is vital to smooth, gliding, pain free joint movement. When this wears away due to constant rubbing and wear and tear that just about every athlete faces, it causes pain. In 2009 Kenny underwent a microfracture surgery for this problem. The idea is for the surgeon to pound tiny holes into the bone where the articular cartilage is gone with hopes that the resulting bloodflow from the minor trauma will reproduce more cartilage to alleviate knee pain. It has an 80% success rate, so not very good. You or me could prob get back to our beer leagues and intramurals in about 4 months but a pro athlete may never get back to where they were. (For example, I'm fairly sure Victor Abiamiri had this same procedure, remember him?) That being said most Giants fans will agree 2010 and 2011 were solid years for Kenny signifying he had a good recovery. Last season, Lesean juked Kenny's leg off and he tore some fibers in his MCL which required surgery. This could have potentially caused some damage in the knee but it's highly unlikely it was in the same area Kenny had his troubles in the past (the patellofemoral area). MCL surgery has a much better prognosis and I'm sure Kenny is fully recovered from that.

I'm not saying Kenny will necessary get to Hawaii every year but I can't say his knee is as bad as some are making it out to be. Now, Kenny will almost certainly need a knee replacement in about 20 years but that doesn't matter to Eagles fans.

Just want to point out that Kenny hurt his right knee when McCoy juked him - his left knee is the arthritic knee. Also, he didn't have surgery for the MCL sprain.

Even though I hate your team, I still want Kenny to do well, if that makes sense.
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlv wrote:
jaymiz wrote:

Just want to point out that Kenny hurt his right knee when McCoy juked him - his left knee is the arthritic knee. Also, he didn't have surgery for the MCL sprain.

Even though I hate your team, I still want Kenny to do well, if that makes sense.

Don't be silly, nobody hates the Eagles. We're the Michaelangelo of the NFC East's ninja turtles. Besides, we have by far the coolest forum on this site Cool

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Phire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants forum never gives us a chance.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:

mlv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway Joe wrote:
Don't be silly, nobody hates the Eagles. We're the Michaelangelo of the NFC East's ninja turtles. Besides, we have by far the coolest forum on this site Cool

For sure, your forum is cool and many Eagles posters on here are cool dudes. But I still hate your team Twisted Evil

But I really hope Kenny does well. He's not a loud personality and is a pretty quiet guy. Very easy to root for. I hope he can overcome the arthritic knee and have a long career.
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giants forum is like those zombies in I Am Legend. They stand real close in little groups shaking, in pitch black. And when an outsider comes in they sprint towards them screaming and tries to eat them .

Nick Foles supporter since 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: