Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikes sign QB Cassel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL Network bottom line says 2 year deal worth up to 4.2m with incentives. Yet to see confirming tweet.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will have to do.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported late Thursday night that Cassel's contract is for two years, but it voids after next season. Cassel is guaranteed $3.7 million in the first year with $500,000 in incentives, according to a source who has seen the deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150832/article/matt-cassel-agrees-to-minnesota-vikings-contract
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
This will have to do.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported late Thursday night that Cassel's contract is for two years, but it voids after next season. Cassel is guaranteed $3.7 million in the first year with $500,000 in incentives, according to a source who has seen the deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150832/article/matt-cassel-agrees-to-minnesota-vikings-contract

So his cap hit would appear to be $4.2M then...
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through this thread and the NFL News section thread has led me to want to give another 2cents about Cassel, not just us signing him.

I think Cassel has been receiving a lot more disrespect than he deserves. Matt Cassels years with the Chiefs have admittedly been nothing short of dreadful. Everyone can pretty much agree on that. He had better tools around him than Ponder did, and did less. The thing to keep in mind is that everything in the NFL is not apples to apples. One QB's success in comparison to another QB can derive a lot of things as far as who is the better between the two, and in the case between Ponder and Cassel, it is perfectly understandable to say that Ponder is playing at a higher level than Cassel. This is why Cassel was brought in to be our backup. Joe Webb has been our primary backup in recent years and as we saw how he did not fill that position to any form of adequacy. I personally like Webb, and I acknowledge the positive athletic aspects and situational promise that he can provide our team, but what he does bring is still something that should be considered a luxury when it comes to the QB position. Simple things like receiving the snap, correctly running the called play, and delivering a semblance of a pass are all things that any QB on the roster has to be able to do. This is also why Matt Cassel was brought in. Despite Cassel's downfalls in KC, he can still run an offense and deliver passes on at least a semi-consistent basis.

Again, Cassel did not perform as a starting QB should during his tenure in KC. He is however perform rather admirably when playing for New England. His performance is what earned him the job in KC in the first place, and while he flopped doesn't mean that he is not a good QB. It could just mean that he is not fit to be a starter. Some QB's thrive as backups, plain and simple. Coming in the game or starting I'm relief is a somewhat different experience with different pressures associated with it that being the full time starter.

Now, I am not alluding to Cassel being the greatest thing since sliced bread or something, and I do not think that he will threaten Ponder for his job what so ever. What I do know is that he could provide Ponder with a lot of experience, both from his failures and from what he could have learned playing behind an elite QB like Tom Brady and the NE offense. At the very least, we know that Cassel is not a gimmick QB in the likes of Webb. He is a passer, not a scrambler. We know that he isn't going to consistently throw the ball short or completely overthrow his receiver. While Cassel's decision making might not be the best, I still would choose it over Webb. For what it is worth, I have several friends who are die hard Chiefs fans who also know the ins and outs of the game very well, and they will be the first to say that while they are glad to be done with the Matt Cassel era and that it was difficult to watch, that they do not view him as a lost cause or a completely horrible QB like many around the league think. They went as far as to say that they think he would excel as a backup and they wouldn't think twice about letting him play if he had to step up due to an injury.

My main point here is that Cassel is not going to be an answer for the Ponder-naysayers, and he is not as horrible as Webb. He is somewhere in between, and that is what we need in a backup QB. While his impact on the surface may not be too great, having a vet like him behind our starter is a very good asset, and we should be thankful to have him around as insurance for the meantime.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
YooAdrian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind this signing.. At least we have a competent backup now. He thrived in a backup role in NE given its a system but hopefully he can come in provide some quality insurance and also be a good mentor for Ponder.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
As others have suggested, the scheme helped inflate his stats in New England. But Cassel still has a pretty impressive TD/INT ratio for a guy coming in as a backup-- 82-57. The system only goes so far. Clearly, Cassel can and has played well in this league. The question is, if necessary, can he do it again?

Absolutely true his TD/INT has been impressive at times (well 2 seasons). Here's the catch...he has to have a PERFECT situation to even do that. '08 with NE obviously was part of what was the greatest offense of all time the previous year with tremendous coaching, a good line, and 2 all pro WR's. Then in '10 with KC he struggled immensely out of the gate, but when teams figured out they had to respect Charles his 6.4 ypc and the run game things started opening up and he also had a true #1 WR. Even then he still had no clue vs any decent defense, only feasting and padding his stats vs the NFC west and the AFC south and being pretty awful in roughly half the games. AFter that the book was out on him, Charles got hurt in 2011 and then a coaching staff with no clue took over in 2012.

Obviously you have the running threat, but you badly need a true #1 WR ...even if you get that expect him to struggle mightily vs any decent defense if he is forced to play.

NorthCountryEvo wrote:

He is a passer, not a scrambler. We know that he isn't going to consistently throw the ball short or completely overthrow his receiver. While Cassel's decision making might not be the best, I still would choose it over Webb.

That is simply not true...he caused a McCluster injury because of innacuracy on an easy swing pass, Bowe was in more danger than he should of been on nearly half his targets. He can do ok in the hurry up when he has less time to think or "nothing to lose" situations. Otherwise, he just doesn't trust his arm strength and it hurts his accuracy as well...often it will be a half pump fake to who he should throw to, then he doesn't get his feet reset and his accuracy is off to the guy he does throw to. Too often he will just flat out miss open WR's, becoming too focused on one read, most notably on 3rd downs. He is a drive killer.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YooAdrian wrote:
Don't mind this signing.. At least we have a competent backup now. He thrived in a backup role in NE given its a system but hopefully he can come in provide some quality insurance and also be a good mentor for Ponder.

The one problem that I have with people saying "he thrived in the NE system" is that people forget that KC was running the same exact system...and he did terrible in it.

They should clarify that he thrived under Belichick, not just the system...because the system was the same.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
YooAdrian wrote:

The one problem that I have with people saying "he thrived in the NE system" is that people forget that KC was running the same exact system...and he did terrible in it.

They should clarify that he thrived under Belichick, not just the system...because the system was the same.

No, Cassel did terrible when Todd Haley was running it. He had a very good year with Charlie Weiss. And noting Haley's track record, I'd say he was more of the problem.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
No, Cassel did terrible when Todd Haley was running it. He had a very good year with Charlie Weiss. And noting Haley's track record, I'd say he was more of the problem.

Outside of the TD-Int ratio in 2010 (which certainly was excellent), I wouldn't exactly say it was a "very good year." He was still rather mediocre. In 9 of those games, he had a very Christian Ponder-like performance of throwing for under 200 yds (including 1 game where he threw for 68 yds). He had 1 game where he threw for nearly 500 yds in a huge loss to Denver which skewed his totals. A blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Also, he even did mediocre under Crennel as well, so I don't necessarily buy the Haley argument (although I personally never cared for him either).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
disaacs wrote:
YooAdrian wrote:

He had a good year statistically, but there was A LOT of stat padding that year. Even Chiefs fans will tell you. Dude is a terrible QB. But I guess for the money and what's available you can't complain too much. I'd much rather have Kolb, but I guess he'd get a starting gig somewhere.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon Ekstrom‏@JonEkstrom
QB Matt Cassel will wear #16 for the #Vikings.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
Jon Ekstrom‏@JonEkstrom
QB Matt Cassel will wear #16 for the #Vikings.

hmm... i can't think of a Vikings QB that wore #16...

probably someone did though.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Gannon.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Rich Gannon.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, he did go from Minnesota to Kansas City, rather than the reverse, like Cassel...although, he did have the pesky Washington stop in-between. Laughing

What former Vikings QB did Gannon initially backup in KC?

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: