Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings sign former Chiefs QB Matt Cassel to 1-year $4M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/312289521842651136

Quote:
Matt Cassel expected to compete for Vikings starting QB job. Now en route to Vikings facility for physical after agreement, per @JayGlazer

The team might have told him that, but that probably means that Ponder will need to be absolutely terrible in the preseason and Cassel will have to play at a probowl level to even have a tiny chance at taking the job.

The only way he is the starting QB is if Ponder is hurt, absolutely no way he ever gets the nod over him. I wouldn't even play him over Webb tbh, and he was awful against us last year. He is sooooooo bad.

Be careful...these are the same people that came at my QB because I thought Rex Grossman or Brady Quinn was a better answer as at backup...
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
fools. Hey we have this crappy QB who can't throw the ball down the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBQhXSTAOU

50 yards in the air, right in to the receiver's hands.

Straight taking a page out of KYDI's book.

Well played, VD, well played.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
I'm so sorry I didn't realize that this was middle school were you do it one time and you're awesome.

Come on you're better than that. Mark Bradley, WR (OU) made an amazing down the field throw to Tyler Thigpen once upon a time. Guess he's great at throwing the ball down the field and all concerns of his QB career are put to rest.

I guess since you're old and can only understand things literally: Ponder can't throw the football well enough down the field with any kind of consistency that concerns a defense.

jeez, talk about a middle school response...

so much hyperbole. maybe just let it go now.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:
Matt Cassel expected to compete for Vikings starting QB job. Now en route to Vikings facility for physical after agreement, per @JayGlazer

The team might have told him that, but that probably means that Ponder will need to be absolutely terrible in the preseason and Cassel will have to play at a probowl level to even have a tiny chance at taking the job.

The only way he is the starting QB is if Ponder is hurt, absolutely no way he ever gets the nod over him. I wouldn't even play him over Webb tbh, and he was awful against us last year. He is sooooooo bad.

Cassel is better than Webb. Webb should go back to WR at this point. Cassel is a solid backup. But i'm not sure Ponder is anything more than that either.
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
This has to be one of the most underwhelming QB depth charts in recent memory...

Jimmy Clausen and Jake Delhomme say hello.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:

Cassel is better than Webb. Webb should go back to WR at this point. Cassel is a solid backup. But i'm not sure Ponder is anything more than that either.

Webb can't play WR either.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:
Rumor was as of this morning he was "vacationing" in Minneapolis...so this was expected.

What a fun sounding vacation.

I can think of places that are worse
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake Plissken wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:

Webb can't play WR either.

There's always the CFL then.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:

Cassel is a decent backup, yeah.

Ponder I think is a starting QB in this league, but he will never be a top starting QB in the league. He is serviceable though. My 2c

XBL: ShiiNyIV
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:

Be careful...these are the same people that came at my QB because I thought Rex Grossman or Brady Quinn was a better answer as at backup...

I would phrase it as: people tried to illustrate your argument made no sense by switching the QB being compared, and seeing if the statement still held up. That's logic for you Rolling Eyes

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
I'm so sorry I didn't realize that this was middle school were you do it one time and you're awesome.

Come on you're better than that. Mark Bradley, WR (OU) made an amazing down the field throw to Tyler Thigpen once upon a time. Guess he's great at throwing the ball down the field and all concerns of his QB career are put to rest.

I guess since you're old and can only understand things literally: Ponder can't throw the football well enough down the field with any kind of consistency that concerns a defense.

jeez, talk about a middle school response...

so much hyperbole. maybe just let it go now.

not sure what you mean by middle school response, I asked if this was middle school were you do something once and it all of the sudden means you can do it every time. Meaning since Ponder made one good throw down the field he can now do it consistently and be considered a threat, which at this point he is NOT considered a threat throwing the ball down the field.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
Nbanflguy wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:

Cassel is a decent backup, yeah.

Ponder I think is a starting QB in this league, but he will never be a top starting QB in the league. He is serviceable though. My 2c

I think he's gonna follow the Colt McCoy path but that's just me.
Rumless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel is a type of quarterback who can give you spot-start ability but simply can't be relied upon for long stretches. He doesn't have a very strong arm and needs to be micro-managed, which is what Haley did during his stay here. While I described two faults with him, he'd be a more serviceable quarterback if he wasn't an emotional one. It is the best way to describe the flow of his production in Kansas City. When the score was close, he would sputter and give enough to stay competitive but occasionally give the game away. When the Chiefs were up big, he played with tremendous confidence and threw the ball around like a top-10 QB. When the team got down big, he would not rally the troops. He would sputter. The media always speculates about players who "choked" in big games. The problem was that Cassel never stepped up his play when the spotlight fell on him.

I would not trust the majority of KC fans opinions because they've been shackled to him for four years, and tend to overreact in their analysis. Make no mistake, if he somehow beats out Ponder, that's not a good sign for the Vikings... but it's not a completely awful move, either. He's a solid insurance policy.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:

Quote:

Time to get scared.

Is Jennings still talking to the Vikings? I think that was the last thing I hear about him

The only thing I can surmise is this conversation taking place.

Spielman: Well I think we screwed up drafting Christian Ponder.

Frazier: What do you mean we?

Wilf: How do we fix this?

Spielman: I have a plan. We trade Harvin for the best value, hopefully a 1st. We try to sign a semi big free agent WR, but since we are in cap hell, I wouldn't count on it. We'll resign Simpson and some role players. That should be mediocre enough. With Allen coming off the books, and Ponder as our QB, He will probably want to walk to play for a contender. I can pitch him, but I'd say is 20/80 he resigns. We trade whatever we get for Harvin for next year picks. We go BPA like normal filling the holes we have, and created this off season. Sign a back up QB to compeye with ponder. Show that we are trying something. Hopefully we will be in the top 10. We can trade up and grab Teddy Bridgewater. The rookies will get a year of experiance, and Teddy can start with some real role players around him. We should have this franchise up into playoff contention in 2-3 years.

Wilf: Will this finally work? We have a new stadium coming our way, and we need someone the fans can get behind and believe in.

Frazier: *shrugs shoulders*

Wilf: You realize you both are fired after next season right?

Joe_is_the_best ^^
fishtanked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the Ponder bashers here.

He had some rough games last year, absolutely. But our WR corps was pretty pathetic all year long even with Harvin. The fact is towards the end of the season Ponder played great football with a cast of 4 and 5 receivers and won 4 straight games against top teams to make the playoffs. Sure, AD was running wild but Ponder was converting 3rd downs, extending drives, protecting the football and throwing touchdowns. He is still young but as someone that watched every single snap of Viking football last year I can honestly say that he has shown moxie and grit and with some weapons and snaps could develop into a legit starter. Give he kid a chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: