Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Running Backs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Running Backs Reply with quote

This is a position that's getting a lot of attention

At the moment on the roster we have

Lance Ball 1.323m(Non guaranteed)
Mario Fannin 405k + 3k SB
Jacob Hester 715k
Ronnie Hillman 515k + 200k SB
Jeremiah Johnson 418k
Willis McGahee 2.5m + 500k SB(not gtd)
Knowshon Moreno 1.7m

I figure that we will keep 4 RB's on the final roster and also that two of them are safe, second year scatback Ronnie Hillman, and FB/short yardage guy Jacob Hester.

Of the other two back we will keep, imo one of them will be a bigger between the tackles type back, who will be the main ball carrier on first and second down. At the moment only Willis McGahee on the roster is comfortable with this role, however he's old, prone to injuries and fumbles and we could save 2m by cutting him. Knowshon Moreno ran well in relief of McGahee last season and I think he's worthy of a look in through training camp, however it wouldn't surprise me if competition is brought in. There are still a few free agents out there that could potentially get a look in as a camp fodder. Ahmad Bradshaw has started for a couple of years and should come cheap, the name Peyton Hillis is never far away from Broncos chat, and Beanie Wells has the size if not the durability.

Verdict: We search high and low but ultimately no one is good enough and cheap enough to beat out McGahee.

There's also the 3rd down role. First of all we could save a roster space by using Ronnie Hillman here. The biggest concern would be his pass blocking. There's also the option of using Moreno, however his best football came late last year when he was forced into an every down role and I actually think he's more of an inside runner than perceived. Other than the marginal options like Fannin or Johnson, I think we should try to fill this role, if not in free agency, then with a rookie. Slim picking on the free agent market as well. Danny Woodhead is a poor man's Hillman, Brandon Jackson simply isn't good enough.

Verdict: We bring in a rookie to battle Moreno. I'm not averse to trading into the early second round for Giovani Bernard or perhaps using our second pick on Mike Gillissee.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say... Let go of Knowshon and Ball. Both need a fresh start somewhere else. Then move forward with McGahee/Hillman/Hester/(Veteran FA)

Then draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round because thats where the depth of the draft is in. My vote would be Marcus Lattimore in the 2nd. Let him sit for a year then have him and Hillman run the squad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I say... Let go of Knowshon and Ball. Both need a fresh start somewhere else. Then move forward with McGahee/Hillman/Hester/(Veteran FA)

Then draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round because thats where the depth of the draft is in. My vote would be Marcus Lattimore in the 2nd. Let him sit for a year then have him and Hillman run the squad.

I like the Lattimore idea (like the 3rd better). Also, I would LOVE to see what a healthy (for even just 1 season) Fannin would look like behind our new and improved hefty Oline !!

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
kentwag24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should address RB in the draft, the following are the guys that I think would be a good fit as a compliment to Hillman:

1st round: Eddie Lacy

2nd or 3rd round (no particular order): Giovani Bernard, Christine Michael, Montee Ball, Knile Davis, Leveon Bell, Jon Franklin, Joseph Randle, Marcus Lattimore

Out of all of these players, Christine Michael intrigues me the most. He has an ideal combination of size and speed. He has injury and character concerns as he saw himself in the coach's doghouse last season. However, he has the potential to be a feature 3-down back with good hands and is the north-south type of runner that I like. In addition, he doesn't have many miles on the tires, unlike Ball, Bell and some of the others.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious of opinions of Jacob Hester. I didn't see him play this year but the impression I got was he was a bruiser between the tackles.

Looking at his career stats he's 13 of 15 on 3rd or 4th and short. He's got the size at 5'11" and 235. Anyway, just curious. I'd like to think running behind that 670+ lb right side he could do some damage.
ToastedOats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Lacy does not interest me. He played behind an NFL line in the college game. Beanie Wells or Ahmad Bradshaw on a cheap contract.
Epic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too big on Eddie Lacy. It's like how Jarvis Moss had that solid Championship game and then did nothing in the pros.

I think Lacy is alright, but I don't see it as a pressing need in Round 1.

I'd rather get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round.

J. Randle - Good pass catcher/runner. Good in pass protection.
M. Ball - Produced in college. Looks ready to be a #1 back at next level.
L. Bell - Solid back. Runs with power. Nice compliment to Hillman.

If we go free agent route, I like Ahmad Bradshaw. If his foot checks out, he's as tough as they come. I know he has a history of injuries, but that should keep his price down. Sign him on a one year (2 mil deal + incentives for increased production. Bradshaw put up 200 yards on the 49ers D last year, can catch, can pass protect, and would have a solid line here. I think Fox would see that he wasn't overworked and would use him the right way. 18-20 carries tops.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Just curious of opinions of Jacob Hester. I didn't see him play this year but the impression I got was he was a bruiser between the tackles.

Looking at his career stats he's 13 of 15 on 3rd or 4th and short. He's got the size at 5'11" and 235. Anyway, just curious. I'd like to think running behind that 670+ lb right side he could do some damage.

Not a good running back. He can get you those third and shorts, but that's it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

Hester doesn't run with any explosion nor does he have the balance to be a "bruiser." He's not very good as a runner.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

Not a good running back. He can get you those third and shorts, but that's it.
Just not when we needed it the most Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard Jonathan Franklins name a whole lot. That guy was phenomenal at UCLA, I loved his game. Curious why he isn't rated higher.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
I haven't heard Jonathan Franklins name a whole lot. That guy was phenomenal at UCLA, I loved his game. Curious why he isn't rated higher.
No exceptionally powerful, nor is he exceptionally fast. Reminds me a bit of Arian Foster.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
No exceptionally powerful, nor is he exceptionally fast. Reminds me a bit of Arian Foster.

Well that would be terrible to have a RB like Arian Foster.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:

Never said he was bad. Laughing

I'm just saying as a prospect, he reminds me of him. Jack of Trades, Master of None.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
Russell2Bailey wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:

Never said he was bad. Laughing

I'm just saying as a prospect, he reminds me of him. Jack of Trades, Master of None.

You are making no sense today R2B. Arian Foster is a top 5 running back, if not a top three running back...actually, aside from Adrian Peterson I would put Arian behind him. If this dude from UCLA is as good as that...I say the Broncos draft him with the #28 overall pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: