Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I'm getting impatient..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IbleedMiamiAqua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: I'm getting impatient.. Reply with quote

-I know I'm risking sounding like that little kid on christmas after opening up 100 toys and complaining about not getting a specific on but come on...

Our pass defense was not good last year and I know ellerbe and wheeler are going to help but our secondary has 1 player I feel confident in and that's jones. This offseason there have been plenty of good corners and safety's and they are starting to come off the board.

-I have a fear that we overpay on smith draft Rhodes and keep our safety's...
-Does anyone remember last years secondary and think "we are Xavier Rhodes short of being a really good unit"???

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of Rhodes and smith, both big physical corners and Rhodes is good in run support so jones can help smith on his side of the field on run support lol
----but I like the idea of smith and Rhodes as long as we have a big time play maker at FS and with Clemons being the FS as of right now I don't like it.

I like that were so good against the run. Our d line is great in that aspect and Clemons and jones are both good tacklers but I can only watch Miami have a 7 minute 18 play TD drive against the patriots just to watch Brady go 3-3 75 yards and get the 7 points back so many time before I go crazy.

Like I said this might be me just being impatient and ranting but what are your thoughts??
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: I'm getting impatient.. Reply with quote

IbleedMiamiAqua wrote:
-I know I'm risking sounding like that little kid on christmas after opening up 100 toys and complaining about not getting a specific on but come on...

Our pass defense was not good last year and I know ellerbe and wheeler are going to help but our secondary has 1 player I feel confident in and that's jones. This offseason there have been plenty of good corners and safety's and they are starting to come off the board.

-I have a fear that we overpay on smith draft Rhodes and keep our safety's...
-Does anyone remember last years secondary and think "we are Xavier Rhodes short of being a really good unit"???

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of Rhodes and smith, both big physical corners and Rhodes is good in run support so jones can help smith on his side of the field on run support lol
----but I like the idea of smith and Rhodes as long as we have a big time play maker at FS and with Clemons being the FS as of right now I don't like it.

I like that were so good against the run. Our d line is great in that aspect and Clemons and jones are both good tacklers but I can only watch Miami have a 7 minute 18 play TD drive against the patriots just to watch Brady go 3-3 75 yards and get the 7 points back so many time before I go crazy.

Like I said this might be me just being impatient and ranting but what are your thoughts??

There was an article about teams waiting until the weekend for CBs. They are waiting for the market value to drop. The CBs in this free agency aren't knock your socks off. They are ok-good. Nothing like Asomugha was 2 years ago. The price will drop. I think Sean Smith will set the market.

Now with that said, we just addressed pass defense and pass rush with the two LB signings. Ellerbe was the guy that covered Gronk and Hernandez. He did a good job against them. he is a cover guy, and does it well.

Wheeler is a guy that can blitz, cover, and play the run. He is fast. Wheeler matches him. He is aggressive and makes plays.

I know we still need CBs but those Lbs will help with underneath coverage.

UniversalAuthor
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety has been taken care of and the LB's were upgraded (to help with the pass defense. I still think the Phins sign one and Draft one....the draft is pretty solid for CBs this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys are okay with Smith and (poss best case scenario Rhodes) with jones over the top with Clemons?
-I guess that's my question to you.
-Welker is now out of the division and we sure up the underneath, but our secondary is still going to be bad next year. I understand we can't fix everything but I guess I would have preferred to hit the secondary hard this year instead of the linebackers...although I like what we did.

-I'm almost a fan of free agent tackle preferably long back or vollmer then tackle vacarro or Elam
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IbleedMiamiAqua wrote:
So you guys are okay with Smith and (poss best case scenario Rhodes) with jones over the top with Clemons?
-I guess that's my question to you.
-Welker is now out of the division and we sure up the underneath, but our secondary is still going to be bad next year. I understand we can't fix everything but I guess I would have preferred to hit the secondary hard this year instead of the linebackers...although I like what we did.

-I'm almost a fan of free agent tackle preferably long back or vollmer then tackle vacarro or Elam

I think we hit secondary hard in the draft. Probably Xavier Rhodes Shamarko Thomas and Jordan Poyer. That's what I would do Laughing

UniversalAuthor
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still some good pass rushers available. Osi, Freeny, and Abraham that I think we look at. As far as the secondary I think we look to the draft. I think we go CB Rhodes, S Cyprien, and maybe Trufant or Amerson

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
IbleedMiamiAqua

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just really wanted another big time safety next to jones. It would match up so nicely with the additions we just made
-we sured up the underneath now we need the free safety that controls the middle of the field so teams won't want to throw it deep either. That forces them to run it more which is the real strength of the defense
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in a great spot we went out and got our man we have high extra picks that will be used to solve some issues.

As for the secondary no need to throw crazy jack at any of these guys let the market work and play itself out. I know its not popular in this forum but patterson is better then some relize and will be a upgrade over nolan carroll they really wanted him the year before he signed with the browns. Richard Marshall isnt going anyway and they have plans for him as he is in full workout mode. It will get adressed I expect a cb signing possibly Smith and a draft pick and our secondary is much better then last year.

I believe they will draft a Safety and ease him in being clemons is on a 1 year deal.

Every year free agency is hot on the first 2 days then the market dries up for a couple days
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're a young team. The secondary isn't that bad. Marshall and Patterson are quality #2 and #3 corners. The Dolphins could draft Rhodes and another CB in the 2nd or 3rd and have a quality four deep. They could sign another solid CB and draft one. I'm not overly concerned.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Warpticon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is they would like to sign a CB, but if they can't they'll address the need in the draft.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
We're a young team. The secondary isn't that bad. Marshall and Patterson are quality #2 and #3 corners. The Dolphins could draft Rhodes and another CB in the 2nd or 3rd and have a quality four deep. They could sign another solid CB and draft one. I'm not overly concerned.
yes!!! we are fine there really are patterson and a healthy marshall and a draft pick already makes our secondary better then last years.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of Keenen Lewis and pacman jones this entire CB class spent last year getting torched. the best way to stop todays NFL passing game is stop the run and follow it up with a dominate pass rush (micheal bennett) The CB market is going down way down the last couple years average joes like Erick wright were getting 7.5 mil in free agency now the best on market are not even getting that. Baltimore,New england,Giants, 49ERS, Steelers,Saints in superbowl year Colts were all getting by with above average corners. Score alot of points stop the run and get a dominate pass rush with good safety play. No doubt we need to draft one high 1st or 2nd round but no need spending money on these hacks out there now is a waste. Marshall and patterson are very solid 2 and 3. Get a pass rush.
jeremyjh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Clemons is also a good safety, Sitting behind Bell made him watch from a master. As said before yes they are waiting for the market to drop. Really our pass defense wasn't that bad every game we played besides 2 were really really close and it was because we could not keep our offense going it was just *punt* *punt* *punt* in that order. Miami needs to take a plunge from a field goal team to a touch down every drive team and with Gibson, Hartline, Bess and Wallace we will make that happen. I honestly think we just pick up hella CB's and LT's in the draft. (Be nice to get a kicker that can kick 50% of his FG's too :/ I hate Dan Carpenter)
SUG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I gotta be honest, I don't see Rhodes as a good fit for our Deff.
He is much more of a Man to Man / Bruising thug than a nimble tactician neede in our 4/3 zone.

Sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Man I gotta be honest, I don't see Rhodes as a good fit for our Deff.
He is much more of a Man to Man / Bruising thug than a nimble tactician neede in our 4/3 zone.

Sug

I'm not a huge Rhodes fan....I watch a lot of FSU football (wife is an alum) and Rhodes never stood out, we never memorable in any game. I watched a UF game and Elam was noticeable I would find myself mentioning him...."That Elam is a freaking Manimal"....I never did that with Rhodes. He may be very good and had all the intangibles, but if I'm drafting in the top 15 I want a player that makes an impact.....a noticeable impact...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: