Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign former Bills WR Donald Jones to 3-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Justin Hunter does not look anywhere near close to being faster on the field. He's the definition of a loping, long strider. Close to the line of scrimmage, he looks like he's in quicksand until he hits full stride.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Yeah, I suppose when he's weaving through traffic at half speed, he's likely to be caught from behind. If he gets behind the defense in full stride, he's not getting caught. Besides all that though, he's excellent in the red zone and has loads of both long TDs and clutch catches in college. He's going to be better than the vast majority of more highly touted prospects in this draft, and if he ends up on the Patriots, he'll be a star.

he's not slow, and is one of many receivers who could very well kill it here. But, I'd bet Patterson and Hunter run faster with the pads on for sure.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Also, Justin Hunter does not look anywhere near close to being faster on the field. He's the definition of a loping, long strider. Close to the line of scrimmage, he looks like he's in quicksand until he hits full stride.

Hunter's short area quickness is very average, though he builds speed easily when he gets off the jam. Def. the part of his game where the knee injury was most evident in 2012 was the very noticeable loss in quickness out of Hunter. He has his moments, which make me think it moreso hesitation on his part than anything.

Patterson vs. the jam is a joke, though. Probably the most impressive receiver I've been able to scout against it. Jamming Patterson is just asking to get cooked. On that Hunter link, I think on touchdowns 1 & 3, you see patterson burn the defender to the inside (but Bray isn't looking). That was a routine thing.

On the Pats, where safeties play up & corners routinely try to play bump & run vs. the receivers...wooooooooof. Patterson would be out of this world.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this receiver talk is kind of blah, though, I need to get some stuff up about pass rushers and such. All these guys are chumps compared to Jamie Collins.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call him lopping all you want - going deep, Hunter would be an outrageous weapon for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRnOL2qfXH8&t=1m22s
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Call him lopping all you want - going deep, Hunter would be an outrageous weapon for us.

So would half a dozen other guys, because so much attention is drawn underneath. He needs to be able to do more than that, and as of now, I'm not convinced. I'd rather have Patterson if they're drafting a UT receiver, even with all the question marks, because he's so much better with the ball in his hands. Of course, Terrance Williams is the guy that keeps getting linked to the Pats, which would be a big mistake in my opinion - not anything close to a burner and small hands is a bad combo for a guy that isn't going to be expected to play close to the line of scrimmage.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

So would half a dozen other guys, because so much attention is drawn underneath. He needs to be able to do more than that, and as of now, I'm not convinced. I'd rather have Patterson if they're drafting a UT receiver, even with all the question marks, because he's so much better with the ball in his hands. Of course, Terrance Williams is the guy that keeps getting linked to the Pats, which would be a big mistake in my opinion - not anything close to a burner and small hands is a bad combo for a guy that isn't going to be expected to play close to the line of scrimmage.

Williams is probably the most natural of all the receivers in the class. Hakeem nicks ran like a 4.7, remember? Being average on the track doesn't mean one can't be an effective deep threat. TW reminds me a lot of Mario Manningham coming out of Michigan, who I think would have done very well on the Patriots. I like Williams a lot, though not as much as the other guys.

I would take Patterson over Hunter as well, because he is every bit as vertically explosive a JH, but 2-3x as explosive laterally. CP's change of direction for a 6'2 guy is young Randy Moss like. I cant think of anybody else who maintains his speed while cutting so well. AJ Green maintains his speed very well, but his speed isn't as fast as CPs.

But considering that Hunter will most likely have at least several yards between him and the nearest CB, I'm not worried. Randy Moss had very very average short area quickness in 2007, and we worked with him just fine. Keep Amendola and the TEs on the LOS, get Hunter several yards off so he can be off and running...and he will dominate. Patterson is the only receiver in this class with more potential then Hunter.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drools* Cordarrelle pattersons lateral explosiveness...

Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Williams is probably the most natural of all the receivers in the class. Hakeem nicks ran like a 4.7, remember? Being average on the track doesn't mean one can't be an effective deep threat. TW reminds me a lot of Mario Manningham coming out of Michigan, who I think would have done very well on the Patriots. I like Williams a lot, though not as much as the other guys.

I would take Patterson over Hunter as well, because he is every bit as vertically explosive a JH, but 2-3x as explosive laterally. CP's change of direction for a 6'2 guy is young Randy Moss like. I cant think of anybody else who maintains his speed while cutting so well. AJ Green maintains his speed very well, but his speed isn't as fast as CPs.

But considering that Hunter will most likely have at least several yards between him and the nearest CB, I'm not worried. Randy Moss had very very average short area quickness in 2007, and we worked with him just fine. Keep Amendola and the TEs on the LOS, get Hunter several yards off so he can be off and running...and he will dominate. Patterson is the only receiver in this class with more potential then Hunter.

Hakeem Nicks is a totally different kind of receiver. He doesn't create much separation down the field with his speed, he does it all with size, leaping ability and body control. You can be standing right next to the corner and if you jump and high-point the ball, you win. Williams doesn't have that element of physicality like Nicks does, and he's not going to run by NFL corners.

Also, you might as well forget about Patterson, he's going top-15.
Sciz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Also, you might as well forget about Patterson, he's going top-15.
NBT knows. He wants the Pats to trade up.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^we wouldn't regret it.

Hakeem Nicks has gotten behind the defense plenty of times. Body language (selling the route) and having the "gears" can just as effective. Williams sell and times his deep routes very well. He wont win many foot races, but he fools defenders into being out of position for just long enough. He reminds me of Manningham a lot.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Patriots signed former Bills WR Donald Jones.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/312581804903256065
Tom Brady Tribute
Jaymun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19-0 confirmed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better not stop us from drafting a deep threat.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-1, 214 pounds, runs 4.46, 20 bench reps of 225 lbs, 41 vertical jump.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89116&draftyear=2010&genpos=wr

Hasn't showed that much ability in the NFL but he does have talent.
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: