Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign former Bills WR Donald Jones to 3-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
D jones is fine but if you're really searching for that David givens 2.0 I think Josh boyce in the 4th could be your guy

Boyce seems more like a burner with the upside to work the intermediate part of the field. Don't think he offers the same upside that Jones has. Boyce also is a pretty good wideout (hands, routes, etc.)

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
BP wrote:
D jones is fine but if you're really searching for that David givens 2.0 I think Josh boyce in the 4th could be your guy

Boyce seems more like a burner with the upside to work the intermediate part of the field. Don't think he offers the same upside that Jones has. Boyce also is a pretty good wideout (hands, routes, etc.)
Of course I think Boyce is a good receiver... I considered givens a good receiver too. I felt all three guys had/have the same type of ceiling as far as potential contributions to the patriots and Tom Brady go
Richter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
BP wrote:

I know I've been absent for a while, but Boyce has been my top target for quite a while. My favorite receiver in the draft, and when he blazed that sub 4.4 at the combine, I had him pegged as the best value in the draft. Clutch player with some big game winning and tying touchdowns on his resume, can stretch a defense and is versatile. One of my favorite players in this entire draft.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
BP wrote:

Of course I think Boyce is a good receiver... I considered givens a good receiver too. I felt all three guys had/have the same type of ceiling as far as potential contributions to the patriots and Tom Brady go

I'm not sure they're quite the same style. I see Boyce as more of a slot guy who can play outside, whereas Givens was more of a perimeter guy who could work inside (if that makes sense?).

I do like Boyce as a mid/late rounder.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^seems like he operates on the outside more often than the slot. I also like his long speed more than his short area quickness

Boyce from TCU is decent, he had easily the most misleading 40 time of the combine. He got caught from behind on a bunch of plays

^Props to BenderRodriguez for the GOAT of FF's sigs! Very Happy
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
^seems like he operates on the outside more often than the slot. I also like his long speed more than his short area quickness

Boyce from TCU is decent, he had easily the most misleading 40 time of the combine. He got caught from behind on a bunch of plays

How can an electronic time be misleading Confused

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

One would expect a guy who runs a 4.3 at the combine to have similar speed in games ?

4.3 combine times are top 10% there. Boyce does not have top 10% speed on the field. Doesnt look close from the - brief- sampling of him I have seen.

BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
BP wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
BP wrote:

I'm not sure they're quite the same style. I see Boyce as more of a slot guy who can play outside, whereas Givens was more of a perimeter guy who could work inside (if that makes sense?).
Aesthetically these three have different playing styles for sure I'm just saying as far as what those three have had at most to potentially offer the patriots offense is around the same tear of general impact and production IMO.
I do like Boyce as a mid/late rounder.
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Fu***ng hate typing on an autocorrecting ipod touchscreen.
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

How can an electronic time be misleading :?

One would expect a guy who runs a 4.3 at the combine to have similar speed in games ?

4.3 combine times are top 10% there. Boyce does not have top 10% speed on the field. Doesnt look close from the - brief- sampling of him I have seen.

Bwaa? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ9ZbpV8e30
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I get what NBT is saying. He has the speed, but he doesnt sustain it. One of the more common knocks on him is that some college corners too frequently were able to catch up to him in the open field (both after the catch and in recovery of a double move before the catch).

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I get what NBT is saying. He has the speed, but he doesnt sustain it. One of the more common knocks on him is that some college corners too frequently were able to catch up to him in the open field (both after the catch and in recovery of a double move before the catch).

He still has a bunch of long touchdowns where he wasn't caught. I don't really care that he was caught sometimes, he creates separation and big plays out of it. Everyone gets caught from behind, even guys like Chris Johnson. Angles and starting speed matter.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

He's not running all that fast there at all. Laughing I like his top speed enough, but he doesn't have the words greatest burst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHvf7u_RxQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxwtx5s0I2A

He isnt alow, but I was stunned to see that he ran a 4.3. Justin hunters ran a 4.42 at the combine, but looks much faster on the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iTXQyxgdU

Richter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

He's not running all that fast there at all. :lol: I like his top speed enough, but he doesn't have the words greatest burst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHvf7u_RxQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxwtx5s0I2A

He isnt alow, but I was stunned to see that he ran a 4.3. Justin hunters ran a 4.42 at the combine, but looks much faster on the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iTXQyxgdU

Heh, I was going to post your first link to demonstrate how stupid the "caught from behind" thing is. Yeah, I suppose when he's weaving through traffic at half speed, he's likely to be caught from behind. If he gets behind the defense in full stride, he's not getting caught. Besides all that though, he's excellent in the red zone and has loads of both long TDs and clutch catches in college. He's going to be better than the vast majority of more highly touted prospects in this draft, and if he ends up on the Patriots, he'll be a star.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
Richter wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

He still has a bunch of long touchdowns where he wasn't caught. I don't really care that he was caught sometimes, he creates separation and big plays out of it. Everyone gets caught from behind, even guys like Chris Johnson. Angles and starting speed matter.

Don't get me wrong, I am big on the kid too. For a guy whose biggest knocks are not sustaining run blocks despite sometimes taking DBs out of the play, sometimes being caught from behind like most players as you said, and not making acrobatic catches away from his body despite his main plus being his ability to create separation so he doesnt have to do that, I am totally behind him.

But still, NBT isn't entirely wrong here. His speed can be misleading at times.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: