Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots sign former Bills WR Donald Jones to 3-year deal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Patriots sign former Bills WR Donald Jones to 3-year deal Reply with quote

Quote:
Source tells me former Bills WR Donald Jones is visiting the Patriots today.

http://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/statuses/312185416222638080

Don't like it, but better than nothing i guess.

***Update***
Quote:
Patriots signed former Bills WR Donald Jones.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/312581804903256065
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
adesilva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see him as insurance for if the Pats don't get a Wr they want in the draft. Then if he isn't great in camp he just gets cut, no big deal.
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocker
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't he owe basically half of his career production to the awfulness of Patriot safety play?

EDIT: Not quite. 18-318-2TDs against Patriots. 64-568-4 against all others.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather have stallworth back I think

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:

I wouldn't.

Jones sucks but he has some (limited) upside and can play special teams.

Stallworth is just straight up garbage at this point (yes, I did see and remember his one contribution to last year's team).
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I wouldn't.

Stallworth is just straight up garbage at this point (yes, I did see and remember his one contribution to last year's team).

Both are pretty meh...I can understand preferring Stallworth though. He's a known commodity who has shown he can understand the system that other WRs simply seem to never get their heads round.

If Jones signs here, with his record against the Pats, he'll win Practice PotW every week and never catch a ball in a real game.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I wouldn't.

Both are pretty meh...I can understand preferring Stallworth though. He's a known commodity who has shown he can understand the system that other WRs simply seem to never get their heads round.

If Jones signs here, with his record against the Pats, he'll win Practice PotW every week and never catch a ball in a real game.

This.

I dont think Jones's upside will amount to anything and we already have a WR/STer, so that doesnt interest me too much. I find both to be underwhelming, but Stallworth's knowledge of the offense is his plus that gets my vote over Jones.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

I wouldn't.

This.

I dont think Jones's upside will amount to anything and we already have a WR/STer, so that doesnt interest me too much. I find both to be underwhelming, but Stallworth's knowledge of the offense is his plus that gets my vote over Jones.

Jones last year was better than Stallworth has been since 2007. That's the issue here. In terms of skill, Donte' Stallworth has been pretty mediocre-to-bad since 2007.

The guy looked like garbage in camp last year, I'm skeptical that he has improved in the last 9 months.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Jones is an option for slants and such. He's big and has good speed for sure.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
I wonder if Jones is an option for slants and such. He's big and has good speed for sure.

Not that big, only 6'0 - makes him big by Patriots standards I guess.

I don't think he's very good but I admit the more I watch him the more I see some potential to be a decent backup WR. He has a poor-man's David Givens vibe to his game. If he could refine himself and get with a better QB - who knows?
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

I don't think he's very good but I admit the more I watch him the more I see some potential to be a decent backup WR. He has a poor-man's David Givens vibe to his game. If he could refine himself and get with a better QB - who knows?

Only 6'0? Yeah I thought he was bigger than that. From what I remember in Pats games he seemed like a guy with some physicality to his game. His hands don't seem very good though - some of his non-catches against us were excusable (getting drilled by Wilfork and Mayo) but I know I've seen him drop some catchable balls.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallworths barely even played since 2007. Donte was drafted way too high for his day and it always puzzled me why guys saw him as a #1 type guy when it clear he wasnt an overly natural receiver whatsoever. The contracts we gave him in early 07 and the Browns gave him early 08 were absurd. He was an athlete who could be elite with the ball in his hands but nothing more; he was one of those odd cases where he plays faster with the ball than without it.

Donald Jones....meh. We could do a lot better in the draft. I don't like him even as a back up. I'd rather keep Lloyd and Amendola, sign Moss, and draft 2 receivers - 1 in the 1st and 1 later.
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

Only 6'0? Yeah I thought he was bigger than that. From what I remember in Pats games he seemed like a guy with some physicality to his game. His hands don't seem very good though - some of his non-catches against us were excusable (getting drilled by Wilfork and Mayo) but I know I've seen him drop some catchable balls.

I also thought he was bigger. Like Givens (also only 6'0), Jones is a guy who plays a "big receiver" game at times. He has decent strength and length and uses his frame pretty well. His hands and route running are pretty marginal at this point, though those were the same problems Givens had early in his career.

Not saying he's Givens 2.0 by any stretch, but I can definitely see what the Pats see in him in terms of fit and possible upside.
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D jones is fine but if you're really searching for that David givens 2.0 I think Josh boyce in the 4th could be your guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: