Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Where does Sean Taylor rank among top Safeties of all time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lagadama24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Where does Sean Taylor rank among top Safeties of all time Reply with quote

I was reading a post in another section on this forum the topic was top 20 safeties of All time and sean taylor was no where to be seen. i understand he did not play very long but shouldn't he get consideration ? so i ask where do you think he ranks among the all time greats at safety ?

REDSKINS/YANKEES/LAKERS
Slateman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. He was still more potential than production.
TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
No. He was still more potential than production.

I have to agree with this, but then again the short time him played I don't think there was a FS other than Reed I would have considered. Even throwing Reed in the mix ST was simply more dynamic and a lot more scary to offenses than any FS
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's top 20, but I do agree he was more potential than production. Sean was just hitting his prime when he got killed.

Guys like Ed reed, Ken Houston, Ronnie Lott, Troy Polumalu, Dennis Smith, Darren Sharper, Leroy Butler, Adrian Wilson, Rod Woodson, etc, etc would be above Sean Taylor because you just can't give him a spot bassed off of potential
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could have been on the list, but one will never know. I have watched a lot of videos on Taylor and it was amazing what kind of a playmaker and ball hawk he was.

He literally could have redefined the S position.

But yes his potential outweighs his production.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Ktizzzlee21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential, he has crazy highlight reel plays. My favorite is when he outjumped randy moss, or his lockdown D on terrel owens. And the last season he played in the nfl he has 5 picks and 1 forced fumble in only 9 games. The only saftey i would pick over sean taylor would be ed reed. I always wondered if Laron Landry would of developed his elite potential if he had Sean as a mentor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktizzzlee21 wrote:
Potential, he has crazy highlight reel plays. My favorite is when he outjumped randy moss, or his lockdown D on terrel owens. And the last season he played in the nfl he has 5 picks and 1 forced fumble in only 9 games. The only saftey i would pick over sean taylor would be ed reed. I always wondered if Laron Landry would of developed his elite potential if he had Sean as a mentor.
uhhh so do all the other safeties I mentioned and they had more production. Troy Polumalu and Ed reed have made plays no other safety has ever made in the history of the game. They were unbelievable, not just big hits but big sacks jumping over OLs, unbelievable diving ints and returns for TDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bowilson11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I think he's top 20, but I do agree he was more potential than production. Sean was just hitting his prime when he got killed.

Guys like Ed reed, Ken Houston, Ronnie Lott, Troy Polumalu, Dennis Smith, Darren Sharper, Leroy Butler, Adrian Wilson, Rod Woodson, etc, etc would be above Sean Taylor because you just can't give him a spot bassed off of potential
I agree with Turtle that Sean Taylor was just hitting his stride when was killed. He had the potential and making to be somethng special but his life was cut short before he could show us. Personally, I truly think he had finally figured it all out and was playing carefree FS. He was not thinking but reacting and reading his keys so much better. He will always be a great player in my book.
a2piece89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite meast article of all time. people are quick to forget how he was the highest rated safety prospect to leave for the nfl in the past 22 years. not even his predecessor had as much of the top scouts acclaim when he decided to come out of umiami. too bad he didn't get a chance to succeed him. '04 everybody needed a quarterback

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1742045

the best that never was imo Lagadama Shhh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a2piece89 wrote:
My favorite meast article of all time. people are quick to forget how he was the highest rated safety prospect to leave for the nfl in the past 22 years. not even his predecessor had as much of the top scouts acclaim when he decided to come out of umiami. too bad he didn't get a chance to succeed him. '04 everybody needed a quarterback

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1742045

the best that never was imo Lagadama Shhh
sure best potential...

No doubt he was going to be in my eyes either but we still never saw it and with Reed, Lott, Ken Houston, Paul Crause, Larry Wilson, Polumalu, Atwater, Emlen Tunnell, Dennsi Smith, Willie Wood, Don Cherry, Yale Lary, Jack Tatum, Brian Dawkins, Darren Sharper, Donnie Shell, Darren Woodson, John Lynch, Kenny Easley, Cliff Harris, Joey Browner

Many of these guys on this list had 7 to 11 ints in a season or had 40 to 50 ints for their careers.
a2piece89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sure best potential...

that's why I wrote "never was"...
idk where that falls on a list, honorable mention maybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a2piece89 wrote:
Quote:
sure best potential...

that's why I wrote "never was"...
idk where that falls on a list, honorable mention maybe
yeah. There's a few I'd put him in front of. Anyways, we all know what a shame it was losing him and how we still haven't come close to replacing the franchise that Sean Taylor was on defense. He'll always be missed on this defense even if we reload at FS, he'll never be truly replaced.
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor will forever be remembered as pure potential. He's the Bo Jackson of the new millennium.

He was just entering his prime when he was murdered. He had his act together, stepped up and was being a man. A good man at that.

It's sad because he was starting to show how special he was. Think of how much Landry could have learned from him and how nasty Area 51 could have been.

Sad. Truly sad.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Where does Sean Taylor rank among top Safeties of all ti Reply with quote

Lagadama24 wrote:
I was reading a post in another section on this forum the topic was top 20 safeties of All time and sean taylor was no where to be seen. i understand he did not play very long but shouldn't he get consideration ? so i ask where do you think he ranks among the all time greats at safety ?
did you read what the other 20 safeties had done in their careers?

All pros, Super Bowl champions, guys with 40, 50, 60 ints, 5 to 10 returned for TDs.

Just because we are too young to remember the greats of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s doesn't mean they didn't have better careers than Taylor nor Dow it mean that they weren't as talented as him.
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does Sean Taylor rank among top Safeties of all ti Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Lagadama24 wrote:
did you read what the other 20 safeties had done in their careers?

All pros, Super Bowl champions, guys with 40, 50, 60 ints, 5 to 10 returned for TDs.

Just because we are too young to remember the greats of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s doesn't mean they didn't have better careers than Taylor nor Dow it mean that they weren't as talented as him.

Well said Turtle!! That's why you are this years ST winner!

I've noticed that anytime ESPN or NFL Net does a "list" of the "Top X to play the game" it's always skewed towards the now.

Partly, I'm sure, because the person writing the list is too young to remember. And partly because there's no video available for some of the greats before the 1970s or 1960s.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: