Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Taking a Guard at 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Taking a glance over at the other thread where we've visited / talked to players, all the interior linemen that the team has spoken to / given a closer look at are projected in the 2-4 round range, with nothing regarding Warmack, Cooper, or Warford.

Yeah, I think that's a much better indication of their intent than any statement from the mouth of Munchak or Webster. Coaches mislead all the time leading up to the draft, but I doubt they'd be wasting visits in order to mislead other teams.

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting point i heard for Warmack.

The money is in Chris Johnson, and the Coach is married to Jake Locker. Both of them need to get on track for the year, or likely all 3 will be gone next year.

I've never been able too justify a OG in round 1, until this year. I want Warmack. His physicality next to Stewart can be soo devastating in the run game.

Plus our defense will get alot better if the offense starts winning TOP.

**RIP Steve McNair**
-Hope-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:

The money is in Chris Johnson, and the Coach is married to Jake Locker. Both of them need to get on track for the year, or likely all 3 will be gone next year.

I've never been able too justify a OG in round 1, until this year. I want Warmack. His physicality next to Stewart can be soo devastating in the run game.

This this this.

Did you notice last year that our defense started out hot a lot of games, but then eventually caved after our offense did nothing and punted the ball 5 straight times?

Winning the TOP battle goes a long way to solving that problem.

Ken Whisenhunt is a terrible coach and needs to be fired.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

This this this.

Did you notice last year that our defense started out hot a lot of games, but then eventually caved after our offense did nothing and punted the ball 5 straight times?

Winning the TOP battle goes a long way to solving that problem.

SHHHH, Hope.

Don't say that around here. I tried bringing up the fact that our defense really wasn't all that bad multiple times during the season and I thought people here were going to murder me for even suggesting that the offense was at fault for a lot of the defensive failures. Laughing
seminoles1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:
As long as the first 2 picks the Titans make are a combination of any of the following positions then I'll be happy: WR, TE, OG, C, DT, DE, CB, S.
No... no TE please.

Remove that, keep the rest and I'm fine with it.
TE would definitely be last of those positions and obviously I'd only be okay with it if was the 2nd round pick. I just wouldn't be upset if they took a TE. I don't like any of the TEs the team currently has under contract. If one of the top TEs fell to the Titans 2nd rounder then I'd be fine with them as the pick.

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have to draft an OG in the first when you just got the best available one in free agency? Anyone we draft in the first 3 rounds would be a huge upgrade.

We get much better value out of a 3rd round guard than we do a guard at #10. This is the deepest the draft has ever been for the position, why take one in the top ten?
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Why do you have to draft an OG in the first when you just got the best available one in free agency? Anyone we draft in the first 3 rounds would be a huge upgrade.

We get much better value out of a 3rd round guard than we do a guard at #10. This is the deepest the draft has ever been for the position, why take one in the top ten?

Because there's still a gaping hole at the other guard spot.
Because there's no guarantee that a one of the guys we want will be there in round 3.
Because we have shown very little ability to develop projects on the line lately.
Because you're not paying the #10 pick a ridiculous amount of money.
Because this team will go as far as CJ and Jake Locker carry them and they both need for the line to be at its best for them to reach their potential.
Because I'm tired of people assuming you can just plug anyone in at guard and make magic happen
Because despite the fact that people have watched how terrible our line has been for years (in correlation with us losing alot over that same timeframe) people still take the o-line for granted.
Because this manchild named JJ Watt (ie the next Warren Sapp) is in our division, and he has won defensive player of the year as a 23 year old in his second season. He's gonna be a nuisance to the Titans for a LONG time

should I go on?

Look I get that there will be some good defensive players around at #10. But I want an elite talent. I won't be mad if we go with Star, Ansah, Dee, or Floyd, if they're available, but I'd rather have Chance Warmack to plug in next to big country. Any other year I'd be vehemently against it, but its time. That could be the meanest, nastiest, strongest right side of any o-line in the league. Also I feel Warmack is much better than Decastro was last year.( stronger, played better competition)

**RIP Steve McNair**
TitanMan30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone seems to think that we are just trying to upgrade the running game. Jake Locker was a very raw quarterback when we drafted him and the organization knew he wasn't going to have an immediate impact. He has been set up for failure because of poor pass protection from our inside guys. Locker was running for his life last year and he tried to do way too much. Signing Andy Levitre was a must make kind of move, but I also agree with chocolateman that we need another one at 10. Levitre is not a mauler, he wins with intelligence and technique but is probably a better pass protector than run blocker. Upgrading the offensive line is a necessity for the offense as a whole. Ruston is right when he says we have flexibility at ten but that doesnt mean diddly squat about his intentions. I live down here in Houston. John Mclain, longtime oilers and texans journalist recently went to a fundraiser with Munch and Bruce Matthews. Obviously he swore he couldnt get any information out of them but he says he believes the titans will take Chance Warmack.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Because there's no guarantee that a one of the guys we want will be there in round 3.
Because we have shown very little ability to develop projects on the line lately.
Because this team will go as far as CJ and Jake Locker carry them and they both need for the line to be at its best for them to reach their potential.
Because I'm tired of people assuming you can just plug anyone in at guard and make magic happen
Because despite the fact that people have watched how terrible our line has been for years (in correlation with us losing alot over that same timeframe) people still take the o-line for granted.
Because this manchild named JJ Watt (ie the next Warren Sapp) is in our division, and he has won defensive player of the year as a 23 year old in his second season. He's gonna be a nuisance to the Titans for a LONG time

should I go on?

Look I get that there will be some good defensive players around at #10. But I want an elite talent. I won't be mad if we go with Star, Ansah, Dee, or Floyd, if they're available, but I'd rather have Chance Warmack to plug in next to big country. Any other year I'd be vehemently against it, but its time. That could be the meanest, nastiest, strongest right side of any o-line in the league. Also I feel Warmack is much better than Decastro was last year.( stronger, played better competition)

Yes, go on.

We had historically one of the worst defenses the franchise has ever fielded last year and this is the deepest the draft will ever be for the OG position.

The paragraph above should be enough to make anyone realize you draft defense in the first.

If CJ needs the best offensive line in football to be worth a damn then why are we paying him? Warmack won't improve Locker's bad accuracy. 3rd and managable will help him out, but none of that is going to matter if our defense is still giving up 38 points.

You can go on and on all you want. There will be tons of talent in the 2nd round and, yes, even in the 3rd round at the position. You can run the ball all day, but if you're giving up scores early and often that one OG doesn't matter.
TitanMan30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

should I go on?

Yes, go on.

We had historically one of the worst defenses the franchise has ever fielded last year and this is the deepest the draft will ever be for the OG position.

The paragraph above should be enough to make anyone realize you draft defense in the first.

If CJ needs the best offensive line in football to be worth a damn then why are we paying him? Warmack won't improve Locker's bad accuracy. 3rd and managable will help him out, but none of that is going to matter if our defense is still giving up 38 points.

You can go on and on all you want. There will be tons of talent in the 2nd round and, yes, even in the 3rd round at the position. You can run the ball all day, but if you're giving up scores early and often that one OG doesn't matter.

Brother. You're not thinking outside the box. Most people look at it like. Woah our defense stinks. We need to draft defense. Our offense was pathetic last year and forced our defense to stay on the field until they were ready to puke. Wanna upgrade your defense without even drafting a defender? Draft an offensive line so you can pound the ball and rack up time of possession. So when your defense gets on the field they are fresh bro.

Look at our moves in free agency. We let go of a tight end with bad hands for another one with bad hands. Only our new guy can actually block and play a slew of positions. We also signed a bruising tailback to complement CJ. This front office wants to run a 2 back system and eat up time of possession and use its young gunslinger to slice up defenses with playaction and vertical throws.
TitanMan30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with any and everyone that we need help on defense. But if Warmack or Cooper is sitting there at ten. You pounce. They make this team that much better and they help your franchise quarterback immediately. I trust Webster to find some young de's in the second and 3rd rounds. Guy has an eye for talent. Been a long time since Titans have had one.
TheMonarch1110

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, ideally, we would try to trade back a few, grab an extra pick and draft Warmack or Cooper with the trade back pick.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMonarch1110 wrote:
I think, ideally, we would try to trade back a few, grab an extra pick and draft Warmack or Cooper with the trade back pick.

I would much rather grab Warford in the late 1st or early 2nd

Props to Kempes ^
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanMan30 wrote:
I completely agree with any and everyone that we need help on defense. But if Warmack or Cooper is sitting there at ten. You pounce. They make this team that much better and they help your franchise quarterback immediately. I trust Webster to find some young de's in the second and 3rd rounds. Guy has an eye for talent. Been a long time since Titans have had one.

Same could be said about Star, Richardson, Floyd, Ansah, or Milliner. I don't consider this DE class stacked like the interior O-Line is. Ansah, Werner, Carradine, Moore, and Okafor are the top 4-3 DE's and all could go in the 1st. We can grab Warford in the 2nd or maybe Kyle Long or Brian Winters later in the draft. Warmack and Cooper are not that much ahead of Warford as compared to those top DE's to 3rd-4th round DE's.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
TitanMan30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
TitanMan30 wrote:

Same could be said about Star, Richardson, Floyd, Ansah, or Milliner. I don't consider this DE class stacked like the interior O-Line is. Ansah, Werner, Carradine, Moore, and Okafor are the top 4-3 DE's and all could go in the 1st. We can grab Warford in the 2nd or maybe Kyle Long or Brian Winters later in the draft. Warmack and Cooper are not that much ahead of Warford as compared to those top DE's to 3rd-4th round DE's.

I completely agree titansfan. But thats what makes it so tough. Do you risk the chance of waiting on a guard and hoping Warford is there with our 2nd rd pick? The reason why I like taking Warmack or Cooper is I believe they are both studs and one of them will almost certainly be there at ten if not both of them. If you go the de or dt route at pick ten, the titans are risking not getting any of the top 3 guards in this class. If I knew Warford would be there at pick 40 Id do what youre saying. But thats a risk the titans shouldnt take.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: