Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign former Bronco DE Jason Hunter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Houston is staying at DE but will slide inside in obvious passing situations.

Like I said in another thread, he slimmed down to 285 for speed so i don't think he will play inside at that size. And its a little early to say what the starters will look like. But it should be pretty interesting once it is all said and done.

You keep saying he slimed down to 285 for speed but you have no idea what he will show up at TC guys tend to gain weight during the off season anyway and seeing that we are very short on UT Im willing to bet it's going to be a little more permanent than you think.

I get all that. I am just basing my thinking on the fact that the HC wanted him to slim down in order to man the DE spot and he did it. And he had some success. My question is why would we move him inside and cause another hole in the defense? DT is way more deep in this draft than DE. So if they don't have a replacement in mind that they can say with some certainty that they will get, you have to go into your offseason planning thinking of Houston as your starter at DE like he has been since he got here.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Like I said in another thread, he slimmed down to 285 for speed so i don't think he will play inside at that size. And its a little early to say what the starters will look like. But it should be pretty interesting once it is all said and done.

You keep saying he slimed down to 285 for speed but you have no idea what he will show up at TC guys tend to gain weight during the off season anyway and seeing that we are very short on UT Im willing to bet it's going to be a little more permanent than you think.

I get all that. I am just basing my thinking on the fact that the HC wanted him to slim down in order to man the DE spot and he did it. And he had some success. My question is why would we move him inside and cause another hole in the defense? DT is way more deep in this draft than DE. So if they don't have a replacement in mind that they can say with some certainty that they will get, you have to go into your offseason planning thinking of Houston as your starter at DE like he has been since he got here.
Jason Hunter would be the replacement, hence why I think Houstan moves inside.

OUR FUTURE PREMIERE LT!!
Mad props to Silver&Black88 on the sig.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. And who plays the other side??? Confused

I wish we could just get to the season to put this stuff to rest. The kid has played no significant time inside since he got here.

raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:

I wish we could just get to the season to put this stuff to rest. The kid has played no significant time inside since he got here.
Tank Carradine. and Andre Carter would be my choice.

OUR FUTURE PREMIERE LT!!
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Houston was playing out of position at DE due to there being no starting position available at DT.

There is now.

Why would anyone want to see the team continue to waste Houston's talents at a non-optimal position for him when his optimal position lies vacant? Makes no sense.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

And you can guarantee this pick?

DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
Houston was playing out of position at DE due to there being no starting position available at DT.

There is now.

Why would anyone want to see the team continue to waste Houston's talents at a non-optimal position for him when his optimal position lies vacant? Makes no sense.

According to who? Listen to what you are saying. If he was so good at being a DT, then he would have won that job and the coaching staff would not have suggested that he trim down to be better coming off the edge at DE? What kind of sense does that make?

You guys are guessing with no factual basis for your arguement. Because there has been nothing written or said by anyone on the staff or in the organization that says Houston will be moving inside on a permanent basis. Only on passing downs would he move inside. And we haven'e even been hearing that lately. Dennis Allen said it was a "possibility" but nothing etched in stone. So until he says its gonna be permanent, there ain't nothing to it.

Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Joe Nobody wrote:

There is now.

According to who? Listen to what you are saying. If he was so good at being a DT, then he would have won that job and the coaching staff would not have suggested that he trim down to be better coming off the edge at DE? What kind of sense does that make?

You guys are guessing with no factual basis for your arguement. Because there has been nothing written or said by anyone on the staff or in the organization that says Houston will be moving inside on a permanent basis. Only on passing downs would he move inside. And we haven'e even been hearing that lately.

You're really not making much sense. You're coming at this whole thing wrong.

His ability as a DT does him no good when you have a $15 million guy at UT and a $6 or 7 million guy (guessing) at NT. Teams don't pay players that much to come off the bench. I don't know what league you've been watching, but that just doesn't happen.

Do you honestly believe Houston was drafted to be a career 43 DE? Wow.

The only way to get Houston on the field is as a DE until room could be made inside. As a DE, trimming down from 305 to 295 (the team's request) would help him be more effective in spite of being played out of position. It was a perfectly logical request. What isn't logical is to automatically assume the request was intended to be a permanent thing.

At 285 pounds, his reported playing weight last year, he could get back up to ~300 with ease, and he would be the same guy who came out a few years ago considered a very good 3 tech prospect.

Or have you forgotten?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/lamarr-houston?id=496794
Quote:
Pick Analysis: The Raiders have been roundly criticized for their recent drafts, but the selection of Lamarr Houston is an outstanding pick for the franchise. The hulking interior defender is an exceptional athlete with outstanding strength and power. He is capable of stacking blockers at the point of attack, but also possesses the quickness to play as an up-field penetrator. Given the Raiders' woes on defense, the addition of Houston will undoubtedly shore up some of the problems inside.

snip

Houston has the size and athleticism to be an effective interior defender at the next level and will likely fit best in a 4-3 scheme.

Houston has enough bulk and size to play inside in a 4-3 scheme.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1123374
Quote:
Explosion: Has a good first step, but not elite first-step quickness. Lines up with two hands down so often he must prove to scouts he can get off quickly from the three-technique; his ability to penetrate on slants shows he's capable. Gets his hands into a blocker's jersey quickly and pushes them back using leverage and brute strength.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/News-notes-on-draft-prospects.html
Quote:
It’s a good year to be an NFL team in need of talent at the defensive tackle position as the 2010 senior crop is one of the best to come along in years. Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh leads this year’s talented class, while Penn State’s Jared Odrick, Alabama’s Terrence Cody and Syracuse’s Arthur Jones all look like big-time prospects in their own right. Plus, guys like Tennessee’s Dan Williams, Texas’ Lamarr Houston and Purdue’s Mike Neal all add depth to the group as prospects who could eventually mature into starting-caliber linemen….

If the team has any sense at all, they'll move Houston back to his natural position and find an actual DE for the LE spot.

All of this, of course, rests on the assumption that we're sticking with a predominantly 4-3 defense. A schematic change to an odd front renders this entire ridiculous discussion moot.
nbaker1933

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good signing, i hope Houston finally slides inside, where i think he will play his best ball.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Because there has been nothing written or said by anyone on the staff or in the organization that says Houston will be moving inside on a permanent basis.

And there won't be any. If you've paid attention to what the new guys have been saying, it's clear the staff doesn't want to reveal anything about their plan. For example, Roach told the Chicago media he was going to play MLB but when he had his conference call with the Bay Area media, he had no clear position anymore.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

And you can guarantee this pick?
It would be my preference, but Ziggy would do too. Point is draft a pass rusher, resign Carter.

OUR FUTURE PREMIERE LT!!
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Houston to UT stuff in freaking ridiculous.

It's a broken record that has been playing since he was drafted and it's never happened.

Why would it now?

Just because he played there in college, doesn't mean he's going back. Especially since he's playing fine at DE and cut weight to play that spot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

It's a broken record that has been playing since he was drafted and it's never happened.

Why would it now?

It's a broken record because you're asking the same question over and over again when people are giving you the answer. Adress the points made, maybe?
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Why would it now?

It's a broken record because you're asking the same question over and over again when people are giving you the answer. Adress the points made, maybe?

The points are 100% irrelevant. I look at the FACTS. He was asked by the staff to lose weight for his position and did it. The HC said he MIGHT get reps inside on passing downs.

The points about him playing the position in college, being projected DT coming out, etc, etc. all are meaningless to what is being displayed on the field.

It's typical "we know better than the coaching staff about where a player should play" speak.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Why would it now?

The points are 100% irrelevant. I look at the FACTS. He was asked by the staff to lose weight for his position and did it. The HC said he MIGHT get reps inside on passing downs.

The points about him playing the position in college, being projected DT coming out, etc, etc. all are meaningless to what is being displayed on the field.

It's typical "we know better than the coaching staff about where a player should play" speak.

You're missing the main point. The UT depth chart since he was drafted and the current one. Those are FACTS too. The former is why there was no way he was going to play there, the later is why he MIGHT now.

No one is saying they know better than the coaching staff, some people think he's a better fit there. That's it. We don't know what the coaching staff thinks anyway. Do you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: