Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign LB Kaluka Maiava, 3 year deal - $6 million
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing he's strong in coverage but iffy as a tackler. Hey, we need a nickel backer to cover these TEs. I'd call him an upgrade over Mitchell in nickel.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did your coming to the Raiders come about?

Quote:
"Well, you know, everything went through my agent and stuff so we had a few teams interested. Raiders wanted an interview really quick, they were the first ones to schedule one, so I took the trip. Coming into it, I always grew up a Raiders fan, being from the Islands, we always watched Raiders and San Fran games so it's definitely a team I was familiar with and my ears definitely perked up when my agent told me about Oakland being interested. I came in with high hopes and fortunately we were able to get a deal done. I'm very excited about it."

What do you bring to the table for the Raiders?

Quote:
"I'm a hardnosed guy, I come to work every day, I lead by example. I'm not the ‘rah, rah' guy leading speeches but I lead by example and I come to work every day. I play hard and I'll go to war with anybody, man, and I feel like my teammates will appreciate that. I'm a tough guy, I pride myself on being one of the tougher players, and I'm here to win. So, hopefully everything works out in that aspect."

You better fit for 3-4 or 4-3? Any talks of what your role will be?

Quote:
"We haven't really gotten into anything team wise and all the details of what I'm gonna be doing. I'm just glad to get the business part out of the way, now when we come back we can get even more done on actual football. But I'll play anything. Whatever the coach needs, whatever it takes to win, I'll play whatever spot they need me at."

dude sounds like a g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge
RaiderX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's literally a boar hunter too. Romanowski already loves him.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sold. The intrerview with Jason Hunter got me just as punped up. He is actually really happy to be here and pointed to April 15th report date as a day that he can't wait for. Its good to see guys what are excited about being here and wanting to be a part of changing things here.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Kaluka Maiva's three-year Raiders deal is worth $6 million, including a $2.035 million bonus, per a league source.

DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie is killing it with these inexpensive signings. Cool

Professor Oak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a few pages ago, I like this move a lot. I think he can turn surprise some people with his play. It will be interesting to see how he does now that he has a bigger role & a good opportunity to be the starter. He sounds like an overachiever & somewhat similar to Wheeler, but smaller in frame.

For what it's worth, he was the 7th ranked 4-3 LB in 2012 on PFF. Also allowed 0.5 yards per snap in coverage.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
LB Kaluka Maiava has $630,000 base salary for 2013, $1,535M in 2014 and $1,5M in 2015. Philip Wheeler $1M base in '13, $5M base in '14.

So his 2013 cap hit should be 1.3M with the prorated signing bonus.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Of course all them won't work out but it feels SO good that nearly every FA signing was considered "smart or shrewd" at the time of the signing. I can't wait until the Raiders have more cap space and this philosophy is applied on a larger scale.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:

Of course all them won't work out but it feels SO good that nearly every FA signing was considered "smart or shrewd" at the time of the signing. I can't wait until the Raiders have more cap space and this philosophy is applied on a larger scale.

Oh, I know they won't all be perfect. But I just love the fact that we are not saying WTF after every signing and seeing how much we had to overpay to sign them. We will have over $30M in cap room next year and that's just based on the dead money we have right now.

Hopefully we can show some improvement on the field so that free agents look to Oakland as more of a destination. We want that to be preferable for on the field stuff and not for what they can fleece the owner for.

Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a nice change. With Al running the show, free agency used to scare the hell out of me. Like watching an epileptic walk through a rave. You just knew something bad was going to happen at any minute.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Nobody wrote:
Hearing he's strong in coverage but iffy as a tackler. Hey, we need a nickel backer to cover these TEs. I'd call him an upgrade over Mitchell in nickel.

This is contrary to EVERYTHING the browns fans are saying. Where are you getting that?

Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF, fwiw:

Quote:
2012 Grade: +7.9
2012 Snaps: 498

Summary: If a team wants a younger option at linebacker, Kaluka Maiava emerged as a solid part-time player in the Browns’ defense in 2012. The 2009 fourth-round pick’s best asset was his play in coverage where he allowed 0.50 Yards per Coverage Snap, which was by far the lowest for 4-3 outside linebackers, although it came on only 156 coverage snaps. He never allowed a catch longer than 15 yards on the year which helped keep that number low. His low Tackling Efficiency of 7.7 is a reason to be concerned, but the potential is there to be a good nickel linebacker.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only question I have with snippets like that is what do I see with my own eyes. Now what I read in a magazine.

But that's just me.

nbaker1933

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
My only question I have with snippets like that is what do I see with my own eyes. Now what I read in a magazine.

But that's just me.

Ths is understandable, and i think given the opportunity that is a very good way to judge somebody.

But if no other option is available these statistics often give a little insight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: