Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders sign LB Kaluka Maiava, 3 year deal - $6 million
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ch8878

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
ch8878 wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
Rolni wrote:
Probably our new starting WLB...
I like the signing...

Means Burris at MLB??

Roach could be the SLB...

Would be a small, but quick LB corp...

Nothing is automatic with Burris. He was a 5th round rookie who was thrust into a starting role because if injury. Until he learns how to tackle and shed blocks he might just be depth.

Apparently, Maiava is the same player.

I don't know about that. Burris is still learning how to be a LB coming from a 3-3-5 defense at SDSU. Maiava is far more versatile along with smaller. PFF's ratings would also disagree.

Its competition at the least. Saying Burris is moving to MLB is a huge stretch though and I know many are thinking it already.

Why is it a huge stretch when Dennis Allen himself talked about Burris moving to the middle ?

Probably something to consider given McClain is gonna be gone. Given what he was asked to do and how he did it I have concerns. Burris is a guy who plays at the LOS not somebody who drops back in coverage and makes calls. He had a hard enough time being in position at WLB last year. Could Allen put him there? Sure, but I wouldn't pencil him in at starter anywhere. His technique needs a lot of work.

I think no one should be handed a job they all should have to earn it McFadden included.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Brownsalltheway wrote:
Hey guys, I think you'll really like this signing. He was drafted by former coach Eric Mangini, and played solid ball in limited opportunities up until last year. Browns fans rolled their eyes when it became known he was going to be starting last year, but then he really stepped up and proved himself. I feel like if we had stayed in a 4-3 we would have retained him.

He plays bigger than his talent would suggest, he's good in the locker room and his motor is always on. I'm assuming he starts in Oakland, and if so he shouldn't embarrass himself or the team.

I agree with PFF, it's a shrewd signing.

Glad to know that he was that good in the 4-3 for you guys.

He won't get burnt in pass coverage and he will play his azz off.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
meh he isnt rey but ill take it. can we get rid of rolo now though?

Hopefully soon Pray

Yuck. That dude sucks. Even McClain might be better.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Yogi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownsalltheway wrote:

Cool. I'm hoping our new staff is shrewd. I think they know that talent is sometimes there but not utilized due to various reasons and wasting money can happen when there's very little of it, just like when there's lots of it.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Brownsalltheway wrote:
Hey guys, I think you'll really like this signing. He was drafted by former coach Eric Mangini, and played solid ball in limited opportunities up until last year. Browns fans rolled their eyes when it became known he was going to be starting last year, but then he really stepped up and proved himself. I feel like if we had stayed in a 4-3 we would have retained him.

He plays bigger than his talent would suggest, he's good in the locker room and his motor is always on. I'm assuming he starts in Oakland, and if so he shouldn't embarrass himself or the team.

At this point, this is EXACTLY what we need here as Reggie tries to change the culture around here. I really like the signing. At least we know he is not coming in here to steal a paycheck like a lot of our free agent signings have done in the past.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
unko_B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it before, he's a solid pick up, ST's ace since he's been in the league, & this year he finally got a chance to contribute on defense and played well. Solid football player who loves football, he's definitely the type of player RM & DA said they were looking for. He apparently graded out by PFT (I think) the No. 7 ranked 43 OLB. It just reminds me of signing wheeler last year. I think he gets a chance to start and I wouldnt be to mad at that.

He may have gone unnoticed to most because he played on a USC defense that lined with Matthews, Cushing, Maualuga, & Rivers ahead of him which i think plays a big part on why he excels on ST's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Maiava was the 2009 Rose Bowl DMVP. According to ESPN's stats, he was also USC's leading tackler against the run (teaming with Cushing, Maualuga, and Matthews)...ran a 4.6 at the combine...heck with decent coverage skills he could fill in at SS if needed or in sub packages. They did say versatility was his strong suit. The signing looks better every time i look at it.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved watching him at SC, Maiava has been a very good role player for the Browns. I really like this pick up and I'm glad he's on our team. He will contribute a lot....He's played both WILL and SAM too.
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronjon09 wrote:
Also, Maiava was the 2009 Rose Bowl DMVP. According to ESPN's stats, he was also USC's leading tackler against the run (teaming with Cushing, Maualuga, and Matthews)...ran a 4.6 at the combine...heck with decent coverage skills he could fill in at SS if needed or in sub packages. They did say versatility was his strong suit. The signing looks better every time i look at it.

really...
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
ronjon09 wrote:

really...

CB and gunner too
ronjon09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
ronjon09 wrote:

really...

yes really. notice i didn't say start. filling in with different sub packages is a far cry from starting. but when you have versatile players, you can give more looks to offenses. makes plenty of sense.
candyman93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Brownsalltheway wrote:

At this point, this is EXACTLY what we need here as Reggie tries to change the culture around here. I really like the signing. At least we know he is not coming in here to steal a paycheck like a lot of our free agent signings have done in the past.

Then he should work for you guys.

I always felt his ceiling was a Mr. Intangible guy. Not a Lance Briggs or Chad Greenway, but a rock solid glue guy that champions have.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a good player. Been watching him a lot since joining the league. Not great at everything but not necessarily bad at anything. Really just your average run of the mill guy. I know, I said "good" then "average". I only say "good" b/c he's not very bad at anything so that gives him a little more oomph in my book.

Good signing. He could work out well. He'll probably start opposite of Burris unless we draft an OLB then he'll be a rotational guy.

PM sig requests.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with that at this price. Wink

Raider X hooked me with the sig
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
meh he isnt rey but ill take it. can we get rid of rolo now though?

Hopefully soon Pray

Yuck. That dude sucks. Even McClain might be better.

yea right. i always thought the new guy was rey junior back in the days

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: