Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A total scheme change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: A total scheme change? Reply with quote

When Mike Munchak was hired, he brought in Chris Palmer as offensive coordinator. Palmer wanted to switch us to a Run 'N Gun, more pass-heavy system than what we were used to under Fisher. It worked at first under Hasselbeck, until his arm started to give out on him in regards to strength, and Jake Locker's inaccuracy last year, especially after his 2nd shoulder injury, made this an extremely ineffective scheme.

Being told that the Titans were looking to switch to more of a short to intermediate passing game was the first clue. After that, we've signed the best guard on the market, a bruiser at RB to go along with CJ, let go more of a deep threat TE/WR in Jared Cook in favor of a better blocking/less athletic TE/H-back in Delanie Walker, and it seems the plan is to draft a guard in the first two rounds of the draft.

This is looking a lot like the Titans offense of the late 90s. A mobile, strong armed, yet inaccurate QB. A top tier offensive line. A powerful running game(granted, we're going to be using a 2 RB system rather than just 1 guy doing it all). A ball control offense that features more short to intermediate passing than anything else. Our receivers are more possession than speed/deep threats.

If Delanie Walker can fix his drop problems, he can be the Frank Wycheck stand-in. Laughing

This offense is going to look much different than it has the past two years, though.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we're going back to smashmouth football like Fisher did, but it looks like we'll be a much more physical offense with the heavy run game. It kind of looks like we're going 49ers route when I look at the personnel. But it remains to be seen.
titans0021

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I really know is that the signings we have made thus far have made this a far tougher team than the one we fielded this season. And I'm not talking about how we'll be harder to beat, I think that Munch and company are trying to send a message that we are going to be the kind of team one would expect with a HOF offensive lineman at head coach. And that's one of the big reasons I'm glad that Jared Cook is gone. We don't need soft and mentally weak players on this team.

George Wilson, Sammie Lee Hill, Delanie Walker, Andy Levitre and, to a lesser extent, Shonn Greene are players that will help us where we desperately needed help. At the line of scrimmage. Where we need to start winning individual battles every time our players take a snap.

It's why I'd be fine with drafting Chance Warmack. The idea of fielding an offensive line of Roos-Levitre-Velasco-Warmack-Stewart, with Craig Stevens at tight end and Delanie Walker playing H-back is such an intimidating and physical package, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long, long time.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 3 receptions, 63 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.

Last edited by titans0021 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
All I really know is that the signings we have made thus far have made this a far tougher team than the one we fielded this season. And I'm not talking about how we'll be harder to beat, I think that Munch and company are trying to send a message that we are going to be the kind of team one would expect with a HOF offensive lineman at head coach. And that's one of the big reasons I'm glad that Jared Cook is gone. We don't need soft and mentally weak players on this team.

George Wilson, Sammie Lee Hill, Delanie Walker, Andy Levitre and, to a lesser extend, Shonn Greene are players that will help us where we desperately needed help. At the line of scrimmage. Where we need to start winning individual battles every time our players take a snap.

It's why I'd be fine with drafting Chance Warmack. The idea of fielding an offensive line of Roos-Levitre-Velasco-Warmack-Stewart, with Craig Stevens at tight end and Delanie Walker playing H-back is such an intimidating and physical package, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long, long time.

You're 100% correct. Munch said pretty much the exact same thing in the press conference today. He wanted to make the Titans a tougher, more physical team, and said he feels they accomplished that with these signings.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the coaching staff, but thus far in FA I must say they've done a good job netting talent and improving the roster and making the right moves.

Can't wait to see how the draft plays out.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see us move up from the second (or the third) to snag a player the FO falls in love with, trading away a future pick. It's often something coaches who know they are on the hot seat and need to win will do.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
wilmtalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see why they don't install some of the pistol in their offense. It would make the best use of Lockers athleticism.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilmtalk wrote:
Don't see why they don't install some of the pistol in their offense. It would make the best use of Lockers athleticism.

How do you know they're not? We know that we're going back to the run-first/short pass offense, but we don't know if that's all Loggains plan to do. I'm sure he has some other wrinkles in his offense, but I do hope he has some vertical offense packages in his playbook.

One thing I really REALLY wish we would do since we seem to be converting back to the old Titans, is go back to our old uniforms. I want to bring back the navy shirts w/white pants for the home unis, keep the white shirts w/light blue pants for the road, and keep the light blue shirts w/navy pants as the alternates. I truly miss the oldschool unis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: