Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos sign former Patriots WR Wes Welker to a 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
I love BK, but this idea that "we have restraints" aka a total of $1 million per year just sounds cheap. Sorry, but that is about .8% of your cap You couldn't find another $1 million per year to match? It makes him sound foolish when he says "it takes two sides to make a deal". Not that he's wrong, but to act like they exhausted every resource and he just left anyways bogus. If the pats REALLY wanted WW to stay...everybody with a functioning brain knows they could have coughed up another $1 million per year.

You have to draw the line somewhere. The Pats don't budge often (or ever) from the value they come up for a guy's services. It's how financially disciplined people with limited resources (and the cap is a limiting resource) get by.

Oh, I understand all that. It's just...we're not talking Moss or Branch, where they are millions and millions apart. We're talking $1 million per season.

Like I said, financial discipline means drawing the line somewhere. Even with your star players. The point at which they drew that line was probably outside of their "optimal value" spectrum. I would think that it wasn't $1M off from where they truly wanted him but $1M from where the absolute highest they'd go for him was.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I know. It is just that such a small % of the cap # for such a "valuable" player just seems hypocritical. 5m per year is small enough as is, their true opinion of his value must have been tiny if 5m was above & beyond it. may have been afraid if getting caught in a bidding war as well.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
I know I know. It is just that such a small % of the cap # for such a "valuable" player just seems hypocritical. 5m per year is small enough as is, their true opinion of his value must have been tiny if 5m was above & beyond it. may have been afraid if getting caught in a bidding war as well.

He said that they were willing to do $8M for 2013.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

He said that they were willing to do $8M for 2013.

But what is he really saying? What do you think his salary would have been in 2014? That is with incentives. 8M is a lot, but it's quite as straightforward as say his entire 12m guaranteed contract from Denver.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Kraft saying the Denver deal is basically a 1 yr deal for Welker if all 12m is guaranteed? (actual question, not trying to argue with anyone)

Mack on the sig
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Why is Kraft saying the Denver deal is basically a 1 yr deal for Welker if all 12m is guaranteed? (actual question, not trying to argue with anyone)

The only way I can see is if it is wicked front loaded

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
eddie mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:

The 2014 money is only guaranteed for injury, that's why.

Sig by Lil Uno thanks bro.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:

He's trying to save face ?? WW's agents claim Kraft never offered what he is saying he did.....he said/she said ...moot point now.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
PatriotsWin! wrote:

He's trying to save face ?? WW's agents claim Kraft never offered what he is saying he did.....he said/she said ...moot point now.
Welker's agent then completely contradicted himself later. There was an offer, just not when Welker went back to the Pats after seeing Denver's offer. They had moved on by that point.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
PatriotsWin! wrote:

Welker's agent then completely contradicted himself later. There was an offer, just not when Welker went back to the Pats after seeing Denver's offer. They had moved on by that point.

So, what I'm hearing is that the Pats offered the $8M, WW went to the Broncos to see what they had on the table, he brought a lower offer back to see if the Pats would match this offer, but they removed their higher offer and wouldn't match the lower offer.....sounds about right. Rolling Eyes

Jakuvious wrote:
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
So, what I'm hearing is that the Pats offered the $8M, WW went to the Broncos to see what they had on the table, he brought a lower offer back to see if the Pats would match this offer, but they removed their higher offer and wouldn't match the lower offer.....sounds about right. Rolling Eyes
The Pats' offer "expired" when free agency opened. That's when they moved on. While Welker was out in Denver trying to make up his mind, the Pats chose to get Amendola while they could rather than risk losing out on both.
Cutler06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
The Pats' offer "expired" when free agency opened. That's when they moved on. While Welker was out in Denver trying to make up his mind, the Pats chose to get Amendola while they could rather than risk losing out on both.

I could see that...but then why is Kraft crying over spilt milk ??

Jakuvious wrote:
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Because Kraft is tired of Welker's agent making stuff up to make the Patriots look like a cheap organization that's a crappy place to play
Cutler06

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
Because Kraft is tired of Welker's agent making stuff up to make the Patriots look like a cheap organization that's a crappy place to play

Seems to me that being an agent, that would be BAD business for any of my other current and future clients ....and I didn't hear anything about this from the agents until after I heard from Kraft. I could be wrong about the time frame, and wasn't there in the NE market, just seems odd to me

Jakuvious wrote:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter what happened with the agent and the Pats' offer?

All that really matters is that Welker can go choke in the playoffs in Denver instead of in New England.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: