Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos sign former Patriots WR Wes Welker to a 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting -- Lindsay Jones writes that Welker contacted the Broncos, not that the Broncos sought him.

Quote:
From thousands of miles away, over the connection of a telephone line, Wes Welker made his sales pitch to Denver Broncos boss John Elway.

Yes, Welker was trying to convince the Broncos to sign him, not the other way around.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/03/14/former-new-england-patriots-receiver-wes-welker-says-he-called-broncos/1988991/
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Interesting -- Lindsay Jones writes that Welker contacted the Broncos, not that the Broncos sought him.

Quote:
From thousands of miles away, over the connection of a telephone line, Wes Welker made his sales pitch to Denver Broncos boss John Elway.

Yes, Welker was trying to convince the Broncos to sign him, not the other way around.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/03/14/former-new-england-patriots-receiver-wes-welker-says-he-called-broncos/1988991/

That is really interesting. I am watching the press conference right now and at around minute 4.55, Wes supports that notion, saying that he was the one pitching to Elway to get something done rather quickly.

All in all a very, very good signing.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised Welker would want to play here, he's not going to be catching 100 passes but he's going to get a lot of touches as DT/Decker will be drawing a lot of attention.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
I'm not surprised Welker would want to play here, he's not going to be catching 100 passes but he's going to get a lot of touches as DT/Decker will be drawing a lot of attention.
I think ultimately Welker decided he had to move to win a ring. He's approaching his 32nd birthday and has been through 2 superbowl losses and a championship game loss.

At this stage in his career, it's not about the money or even for the personal success, it's for the championship, and ultimately, he decided that Denver is far more likely to be winning one in the next two years than New England.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong I will point you to the fact that Tennessee offered Welker 2 years to the tune of 15 million dollars and Wes himself nixed the deal.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
I think ultimately Welker decided he had to move to win a ring. He's approaching his 32nd birthday and has been through 2 superbowl losses and a championship game loss.

At this stage in his career, it's not about the money or even for the personal success, it's for the championship, and ultimately, he decided that Denver is far more likely to be winning one in the next two years than New England.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong I will point you to the fact that Tennessee offered Welker 2 years to the tune of 15 million dollars and Wes himself nixed the deal.

I do not think he thought we are closer to the Super Bowl than NE. He probably thought that we are as close as the Pats and f*ck Belichick. The disrespect issue has been mentioned so often now that it seems too trivial to actually have been a deciding factor but I think that that in fact was the reason he joined us. Stay with New England and perhaps finally win one or come to Denver and perhaps finally win one but also be able to give a finger at the Hoody. Easy choice after what went down in Foxborough. Bill outfoxed himself on this one and I am not saying this with orange and blue glasses on (at least I do not think I do). Premier players generally do not join shaky franchises, especially not for just a couple of bucks more than what others offer, so the Titans probably were never in contention. After all, they wanted him and Welker instead approached Elway.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

Quote:

I read that too.

That means that Wes was POed that New England (mostly Mac from what I hear) wanted to move in another direction and so he sought out the team he could go to that was a) a major rival and b) have the best chance to win a ring.

Four years after he was hired and two years after he was fired, Josh McDaniels finally did something to help the Broncos.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

Quote:

I read that too.

That means that Wes was POed that New England (mostly Mac from what I hear) wanted to move in another direction and so he sought out the team he could go to that was a) a major rival and b) have the best chance to win a ring.

Four years after he was hired and two years after he was fired, Josh McDaniels finally did something to help the Broncos.

LOL love the bottom quote.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see this being discussed, but apparently only the the $6 million for 2013 is guaranteed in Welker's contract - 2014 is not:

https://twitter.com/greggrosenthal/status/312584384320512003

Gregg Rosenthal wrote:
So Welker's 2014 isn't guaranteed either. Only $6 million guaranteed. Amazing.

iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
Didn't see this being discussed, but apparently only the the $6 million for 2013 is guaranteed in Welker's contract - 2014 is not:

Gregg Rosenthal wrote:

Wow..That is great.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:

Gregg Rosenthal wrote:

That might be the now-normal trick to get around the NFL salary limit. For example DRC's 2-year contract appears to have the same pattern where the second year is voidable. Basically one year is guaranteed but the contract adds a second year so that any bonus is spread over two years to reduce the yearly cap hit.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
#Patriots Robert Kraft on Wes Welker's agents: "They overplayed their hand and I think both (Welker) & the Patriots are the losers from it."

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/313820324615569411

Quote:
Kraft said #Patriots were willing to pay Welker $8M in 2013, which was more than what he received from #Broncos. @SiriusXMNFL

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/313820639226105856

Quote:
You could hear the angst in Kraft's voice when talking about Welker. Sad to see him go but life goes on in New England

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/313821228576174081
Tom Brady Tribute
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
...what Boston media sees as the underlying message in the Welker departure:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron_borges/2013/03/wes_welker_just_a_pawn_in_team_s_bid_to_maintain_control

I love it. Now to complete the message with a SB win Smile I hope we throttle NE from here out.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...but... WELKER IS FROM NEW ENGLAND BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, if you heard Fox today, Gase is apparently running a very up tempo offense (I'm guessing similar to what we saw from NE at times last year.) That would make us very difficult to defend as we have a good blend of technique and speed on the field.

It's gonna be fun this year.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Anyway, if you heard Fox today, Gase is apparently running a very up tempo offense (I'm guessing similar to what we saw from NE at times last year.) That would make us very difficult to defend as we have a good blend of technique and speed on the field.

I hope this is true. Same thing was said last year only to see us use an up-tempo approach occasionally. I will never forget how New England smoked us at Foxborough. This, to me, is the definiton of fast pace. If the Broncos only emulated half of that, they'd have one hell of an offense.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I hope this is true. Same thing was said last year only to see us use an up-tempo approach occasionally. I will never forget how New England smoked us at Foxborough. This, to me, is the definiton of fast pace. If the Broncos only emulated half of that, they'd have one hell of an offense.

I think Gase is serious about doing it by all accounts. It seems they want more Hillman in stretch plays to the outside to maximize his value, and I would imagine if we drafted a WR early he's gonna play a role here too.

I'm praying it's Quinton Patton, by the way.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: