Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos sign former Patriots WR Wes Welker to a 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duke2056

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying the Pats made the right or wrong move with Welker leavign and Amendola coming in. There is probably more to it than any of us will ever know.

But from a straight up on the field production perspective.............I think people are literally insane if they expect Amendola to come in and produce like Welker.

Welker has been the best slot receiver pretty much EVER in terms of production. He is talented, tough, durable, smart, and was completely on the same page with brady.

Expecting Amendola to not only step into the offense and click as well as Welker did with Tom, to stay completely healthy, and to throw up 115 catches is crazy talk.

Anything is POSSIBLE, but if you actually EXPECT that.....wow.

I hear some people saying Amendola is more talented thant Welker. Is he???? Really??? Why because his straight line speed is faster??? Come on

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Amendola is healthy, he can put up Welker like production. Had he been healthy this year, he would have put up Welker like production. He's quite similar to Wes. Wes is stronger, more thickly built and better after the catch while Danny has better hands, more speed/burst and is taller.

Overall, though, in terms of what they offer, they're extremely similar.

Amendola has been one of the toughest match-ups as a Ram. Now imagine him with Gronk, Hernandez and everything else NE offers. The kid eats up zone defenses and embarrassed the heck out of SF's CBs(Rogers and Culliver) in man this year.

He's REALLY good. Extremely underrated. Like I said, biggest question is durability. Gotta stay on the field. That's why the Rams are moving on. But if he does stay on the field, he'll produce big time.

I am hoping the Rams get Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey to replace Danny.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
silus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget comparing who is more productive, its worth 2 million just keeping him away from your biggest AFC rival! They just f'd their own secondary. Good luck stopping Denver's offense now!
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
Forget comparing who is more productive, its worth 2 million just keeping him away from your biggest AFC rival! They just f'd their own secondary. Good luck stopping Denver's offense now!

They play Denver once next season, the bigger concern is the 15 other games. Assuming both teams make the playoffs, there is also a good possibility that they do not even play each other. What Wes Welker might do against New England in some hypothetical playoff game should not affect personnel decisions in the slightest.
silus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
silus wrote:

They play Denver once next season, the bigger concern is the 15 other games. Assuming both teams make the playoffs, there is also a good possibility that they do not even play each other. What Wes Welker might do against New England in some hypothetical playoff game should not affect personnel decisions in the slightest.

Wes Welker will help the Broncos in those other 15 games.... And we're talking about the two best teams in the AFC. They are going to battle for home field advantage as they did last season.
eagles18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverNBlackFan wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
eddie mac wrote:
Tell me again why Brady gave back money to the Pats???

So they could sign a younger more explosive WR Danny Amendola for longer than 2 seasons.

How has amendola proven to be more explosive than Welker? Dude has like an 8.8 ypc average.

A 27 year old Amendola has more upside than a 32 year old Welker.

Intelligence is like a river. The deeper it is... the less noise it makes.
silus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles18 wrote:
SilverNBlackFan wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
eddie mac wrote:

So they could sign a younger more explosive WR Danny Amendola for longer than 2 seasons.

How has amendola proven to be more explosive than Welker? Dude has like an 8.8 ypc average.

Well, he also has more of a downside. Patriots already have problems with their two best pass catchers being healthy at the end of the season. Now they got another guy they can count on not being healthy during the playoffs.

I think Patriots need another quality receiver they can count on.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amendola was also signed to a cheaper [per year] and longer term contract than Wes Welker.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pats#1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
I am not saying the Pats made the right or wrong move with Welker leavign and Amendola coming in. There is probably more to it than any of us will ever know.

But from a straight up on the field production perspective.............I think people are literally insane if they expect Amendola to come in and produce like Welker.

Welker has been the best slot receiver pretty much EVER in terms of production. He is talented, tough, durable, smart, and was completely on the same page with brady.

Expecting Amendola to not only step into the offense and click as well as Welker did with Tom, to stay completely healthy, and to throw up 115 catches is crazy talk.

Anything is POSSIBLE, but if you actually EXPECT that.....wow.

I hear some people saying Amendola is more talented thant Welker. Is he???? Really??? Why because his straight line speed is faster??? Come on

Looking back, knowing what we all know now, its very easy to make that type of opinion. However, many seem to forget how people were scratching their head wondering why the Pats would sign a short, not really fast, slot receiver/STs player from the Dolphins, that never really did anything special.

Then he goes out and produces like a beast.

The Pats and Brady turned Welker into the best slot receiver in the game, and he will have continued success with the Broncos I'm sure. But if Amendola was putting up Welker like numbers with Sam Bradford before he got hurt, imagine what he will do with Brady.

If Amendola stays healthy, I'm sure he will be plenty successful, successful enough to warrant the Pats signing him, and younger, better athlete, for less money per year, and less money guaranteed.

Sig credit: Deadpulse
Pats#1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:

All the Pats need to do is hope Peyton throws to Welker when the game is on the line Laughing

In all seriousness though....I'm not too worried about it, we're getting waaay ahead of ourselves. The defense won't have to worry about the run game against the Broncos, with everything focused on the passing game, I think they'll do fine now that we have Talib back. Hopefully Dennard is able to play which puts Arrington back in as the slot CB, which he is surprisingly good at.

Pats#1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
eagles18 wrote:
SilverNBlackFan wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
eddie mac wrote:

Well, he also has more of a downside. Patriots already have problems with their two best pass catchers being healthy at the end of the season. Now they got another guy they can count on not being healthy during the playoffs.

DA has had two freak accidents happen which caused him to miss games....Welker has had one.

DA was unlucky that his major injuries happened in the beginning/middle of the season, while Welker got hurt at the end of one.

DA may have more of a history of getting hurt....but nobody beats father time, and one is for sure....Welker is getting older, and is going to continue to get rocked day in day out over the middle. It's only a matter of time before he can't take it anymore.

With the way the contract for DA is set up....the Pats made the right choice.

silus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:
silus wrote:
eagles18 wrote:
SilverNBlackFan wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
eddie mac wrote:

DA has had two freak accidents happen which caused him to miss games....Welker has had one.

DA was unlucky that his major injuries happened in the beginning/middle of the season, while Welker got hurt at the end of one.

DA may have more of a history of getting hurt....but nobody beats father time, and one is for sure....Welker is getting older, and is going to continue to get rocked day in day out over the middle. It's only a matter of time before he can't take it anymore.

With the way the contract for DA is set up....the Pats made the right choice.

I hear you, but ACL injuries are common in football. His injuries are just crazy. I don't know what to think.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
#Patriots Robert Kraft on Wes Welker's agents: "They overplayed their hand and I think both (Welker) & the Patriots are the losers from it."

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/313820324615569411

Quote:
Kraft said #Patriots were willing to pay Welker $8M in 2013, which was more than what he received from #Broncos. @SiriusXMNFL

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/313820639226105856

Quote:
You could hear the angst in Kraft's voice when talking about Welker. Sad to see him go but life goes on in New England

http://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/313821228576174081
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: