Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why the Vikings Should Trade For...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
99franchise99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Why the Vikings Should Trade For... Reply with quote

The move the Vikings need to make is to trade for Revis. Now before anyone rips the idea about read the whole post first.

Compensation:
Right now they are saying the Jets would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for Revis, a 3rd and 4th is more realistic. We could easily ship our extra 3rd and send a 4th to the Jets and meet the value most expect they will receive. If demands go to a 2nd I still don't see that as a problem to get Revis.

Cap Room
We know we have more than enough cap space to add Revis and offer him a new deal this year after Winfield was cut. In the future we may need to restructure/cut players in order to make it work, Kevin Williams comes to mind as well as a Jared Allen extension to add a piece like Revis.

Division Demands
The NFC North is loaded with top WR's (Megatron, Marshall, and Cobb/Nelson). The Vikings need a shut down CB more than anyone with matchups with those WR's 6 times in a season. Not only would Revis make Cook one of the better #2 CB's in the league, but would improve our S play even more. Our pass defense would go from a weakness a couple years ago to one of the best in the league.

Veteran Presence
Revis has won before and could bring that leadership to our defensive backfield we lost when we cut Winfield. Between him, Allen, Greenway, and K Williams we would have a sound veteran leader at every level of our defense to help guide the other young starters.

To me this move just makes too much sense. Now with this move it prevents us from addressing other needs through FA, but the 2 1st round picks could also solve a lot of problems. This would be the rest of the pieces to vastly improve this team:

Draft:
(23) Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
He instantly steps in as the starter in the middle, moving Henderson outside for 3 LB sets. He is a top 10 talent, but many believe he will fall to this part of the draft due to off the field issues. Typically I shy away from character flawed prospects but this guy is supremely talented. I also believe with the veteran leadership we have on this defense especially he would be forced to clean his act up and perform.

(25) Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
He has the size and speed to play outside and develop into our #1 WR. He will be instantly inserted into the starting line up and given every opportunity to produce. He will give us the consistent outside WR we have been missing since Rice left.

Some will disagree that WR is where our FA money needs to be spent but Jennings is too expensive and I don't see anyone else being able to make an impact to our offense like Revis can bring to our defense. One person I do believe should be brought in at WR is DHB. He at the very least is a bigger, younger, fast Simpson and had some flashes last season in Oakland. He is young and still has a ton of potential. I see him as our other starter opposite Allen with Wright working the slot and obviously Randolph as our top target.

I am looking forward to hear what you guys think. I have put a lot of time and thought into this so if you hate it, please be nice Wink

Last edited by 99franchise99 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone is just going to ruin all that hard work, thought, and input you put into that post with a "we run a zone scheme, don't need him."

And while that's true, you can't under value the power we would have with a guy like Revis. It would allow us to Blitz a heck of a lot more, that's for sure.
99franchise99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
Someone is just going to ruin all that hard work, thought, and input you put into that post with a "we run a zone scheme, don't need him."

And while that's true, you can't under value the power we would have with a guy like Revis. It would allow us to Blitz a heck of a lot more, that's for sure.

I do understand that, but it would allow us to change coverage more effectively. I think you tailor your offense/defense to the skills of players just like we did with Favre. Revis would add a playmaker we have never had in the defensive backfield and allow more creativity with the defense. Like I said I get he isn't a "zone" guy but thinking outside the box and thinking Revis is a talent you make adjustments for.
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the fact that they simply don't have the cap space... This year or next year.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I will say is that we don't have much cap room, after the re-signings and what we need for draft picks (granted that would go down, but just slightly) we wouldn't have enough to offer him something that wouldn't put us in cap hell within two years.

Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
What I will say is that we don't have much cap room, after the re-signings and what we need for draft picks (granted that would go down, but just slightly) we wouldn't have enough to offer him something that wouldn't put us in cap hell within two years.

I have faith, that if we really want to upgrade that position, or any other position for that matter. We can make the cap space available, combined with Rob's specialty in working contracts.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

I have faith, that if we really want to upgrade that position, or any other position for that matter. We can make the cap space available, combined with Rob's specialty in working contracts.

this....but I'd rather get Grimes for less money and not give up a draft pick....even though I love Revis. Revis is going to TB, for a first or second, I'd bet.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings just got rid of one guy who's disruptive to the organization and you suggest bringing in another one who has a history of it?

I'm all for upgrading the defensive backfield, but financially and locker-room wise, the Vikings can't afford to bring Revis in.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly a great point, and one reason why I could care less if we don't.

But I'm not going to lie, sometimes the best players at CB and WR are Divas. I don't mind one of those guys, one. That's it, as it can pay off highly. ( Deon, Moss, etc.)
kparty69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all saw how much Asomugha was able to help the Eagles secondary when he didn't fit the scheme... Waste of money. IMO
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

Laughing

Peppers90 on the sig.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
The Gnat wrote:

I have faith that, if Revis would significantly lower his demanded salary, many teams wouldn't have to cut salary of other players to accommodate him.

Consider the ill will caused by a GM asking one or more of their well paid players and their agent(s) being asked to reduce their salary to accommodate a diva (your words, in a post above) CB.

If you worked in an office, and your boss wanted to hire another employee, but couldn't afford that hire unless (s)he trimmed other employees salary, would you agree to a paycut?

Better: Asomoghu(sp?), Hall, etc. won't cost a draft pick.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora
Expects the Bucs to remain active. Could land Revis soon enough and are trying to deal Blount

Thx to Uncle Buck!
jam8891

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, no need to go after Revis in my opinion.. With the 1st 2 picks, get WR Quinton Patton and CB Xavier Rhodes. Chris Cook has shown he can really play. Personally I really like Josh Robinson, and hey, Winfield is still a possibility...
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

more accurate: ...run a tight ship and...

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: