Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pollard released by Ravens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Ihedigbo made Pollard expendable to a point

Yeah, but the point that Ihedigbo doesn't make Pollard expendable is in the minds of one of our biggest rivals. And to me, the mental warfare against the Pats is one of the biggest hurdles we have to overcome on the road back to the SB.

Ordinarily I would follow the "In Ozzie We Trust" slogan, but for some reason it hasn't sunk in as much this season - maybe its because I'm not completely sober or maybe its because I can't find a legitimate reason to release such a vocal leader like Pollard when we've only got Suggs as a leader on D for such a small cap saving, but either way, this doesn't sit right with me

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Sure that's fair, but at the same time, actually upgrading the SS position over what Pollard could provide would be the way to overcome losing Pollard.. and we have that opportunity with the many talented safeties in this class.
-----------
On another note, can someone explain to me why we only save $1m from cutting Pollard. I'm confused.

Shouldn't we be slashing his base salary and only paying him the $1.25m he's getting paid in guaranteed cash?

I keep seeing releasing him only saves $1m, but looking at the cap sheet, shouldn't it be $2m?

And applying the rule of 51, it looks like the next high paid player would be making $480k, so releasing Pollard should net us $1.52m in savings if I'm understanding the cap correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB, I thought that as well but Pollard signed a 3 year contract extension last offseason so he had 2 years remaining on his deal so there must be some portion of bonus acceleration from next year that reduces the cap savings from $2m to $1m.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wnst.net/baltimore-ravens/pollard/

Offers up a good explanation for cutting him

GO RAVENS!!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we plan on having Ihedigbo as the starting SS next year, oh boy....

I mean I liked how he played for 1-2 games last year, but there's a reason the dude couldn't start on the Jets over Eric Smith.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^ Sure that's fair, but at the same time, actually upgrading the SS position over what Pollard could provide would be the way to overcome losing Pollard.. and we have that opportunity with the many talented safeties in this class.

Except we have enough holes to fill at ILB, LT, pass rusher and now WR (and possibly FS) to create another hole. Its not like its easy to find good safeties in this league so I don't see why we'd willingly give up a well performing one based on the information we have (which is not much unless you believe all of the "locker room problem" innuendo which has only really come out now that he's been cut)

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:

I said that my happen after some thread about him whining in the media during the losing streak. Reading this, I'm glad he's out.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Harbaugh making a power play in the locker room, I think another explanation for releasing Pollard is that he and Ed Reed function much better as a pair than either could individual at this point in their careers. Pollard is great in run support, but can't cover and the converse is true for Reed. With Reed as good as gone, it will be much harder to mask Pollard's weaknesses. I would look for the Ravens to end up starting a more balanced safety combo next year.
STrid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:

I said that my happen after some thread about him whining in the media during the losing streak. Reading this, I'm glad he's out.

I'm also glad he's out. One thing is to play undisciplined on the pitch, which we all know he did, but to create this kind of animosity in the locker room, either towards the coaches or other players, is just a no go.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related to Pollard, but with Zibby having been released by the Colts, I think he could present a solid pickup for us to cover our arse at safety. He's not a SS, but at FS, he wasn't bad for us when Reed went down.

So if we can't get Reed back or sign someone better at FS, I think Zibby wouldn't be a bad fall back plan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: