Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pollard released by Ravens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RavensfanRD


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1649
Location: Baltimore, MD (Land of the Greatness)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
Nucky wrote:
This is devastating. Were losing one of the hardest hitting players in the game and a top 3 player on our defense last season. Just for 1 million dollars ? But we sign a bum like David Reed for 1.25 mil a year....ok Confused


I don't like the move at face value either but to be honest our D sucked last year. We allowed over 400 yards every game in the playoffs. We were bad everywhere but the redzone which is a great place to be good but none of our Defensive losses mean that much to me cause our defense sucked last year.


Soooooo since we sucked last year, let's take all of our good starters and sell them or let other teams pay them and keep guys like Ed Reed. Meh, I don't agree with that. If Pollard is replaceable right now, Ed Reed needs to be shown the door as well, because Pollard was hands down our best safety last year.


You're getting too emotion, SnA. Use your reason. The Ravens are about to make moves. They cut some fat, threw a few "OMG" moves out there, but we'll be fine. But I guess I understand your point. If we let flacco walk I would be zappin' out, too. Laughing
_________________

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2025
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
Nucky wrote:
This is devastating. Were losing one of the hardest hitting players in the game and a top 3 player on our defense last season. Just for 1 million dollars ? But we sign a bum like David Reed for 1.25 mil a year....ok Confused


I don't like the move at face value either but to be honest our D sucked last year. We allowed over 400 yards every game in the playoffs. We were bad everywhere but the redzone which is a great place to be good but none of our Defensive losses mean that much to me cause our defense sucked last year.


Soooooo since we sucked last year, let's take all of our good starters and sell them or let other teams pay them and keep guys like Ed Reed. Meh, I don't agree with that. If Pollard is replaceable right now, Ed Reed needs to be shown the door as well, because Pollard was hands down our best safety last year.


If the Ravens hadn't had Reed last year, I'd wager that they'd have given up a hell of a lot more passing yards.

Pollard sucks on pass coverage, and I'm not sure he was that good at reading the game either. He hit hard, and covered runs very well (although, like most last year, he missed a fair few tackles), but perhaps the Ravens want more than that from their SS.

Perhaps they intend to draft someone this year, and want him to play alongside Reed will he learns the ropes.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3694
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFT said they are getting the sense that the Ravens don't even want Ed Reed back. Color me confused as [inappropriate/removed] as to what Ozzie is thinking
_________________


"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 20039
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
Nucky wrote:
This is devastating. Were losing one of the hardest hitting players in the game and a top 3 player on our defense last season. Just for 1 million dollars ? But we sign a bum like David Reed for 1.25 mil a year....ok Confused


I don't like the move at face value either but to be honest our D sucked last year. We allowed over 400 yards every game in the playoffs. We were bad everywhere but the redzone which is a great place to be good but none of our Defensive losses mean that much to me cause our defense sucked last year.


Soooooo since we sucked last year, let's take all of our good starters and sell them or let other teams pay them and keep guys like Ed Reed. Meh, I don't agree with that. If Pollard is replaceable right now, Ed Reed needs to be shown the door as well, because Pollard was hands down our best safety last year.


If the Ravens hadn't had Reed last year, I'd wager that they'd have given up a hell of a lot more passing yards.

Pollard sucks on pass coverage, and I'm not sure he was that good at reading the game either. He hit hard, and covered runs very well (although, like most last year, he missed a fair few tackles), but perhaps the Ravens want more than that from their SS.

Perhaps they intend to draft someone this year, and want him to play alongside Reed will he learns the ropes.


Ed Reed was also solely responsible for a handful of touchdowns that shouldn't have happened as a result of him gambling, leaving a guy out to try, or missing easy tackles because of his injuries.

I agree that Pollard isn't the best in pass coverage, but he was still better than Reed, and that's REALLY saying something. Ed scares people still because of his reputation, not because of his actual ability any more.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dissonance19


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 398
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK WTF?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpeter15


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
PFT said they are getting the sense that the Ravens don't even want Ed Reed back. Color me confused as [inappropriate/removed] as to what Ozzie is thinking


PFT also said Pollard was an instigator with the whole "mutiny" against Harbaugh last year. That makes a lot of sense as to why we would dump him. Harbaugh has history of dumping guys that are in his doghouse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1980
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter15 wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
PFT said they are getting the sense that the Ravens don't even want Ed Reed back. Color me confused as [inappropriate/removed] as to what Ozzie is thinking


PFT also said Pollard was an instigator with the whole "mutiny" against Harbaugh last year. That makes a lot of sense as to why we would dump him. Harbaugh has history of dumping guys that are in his doghouse.


Yeah I'm seeing online that Reed and BP were the leaders of it, so we may not even be trying to bring back Reed. If thats the case we would have no ILBs or Ss worthy of starting, so Ozzie will need to get creative, but we'll have some cap space to work with.
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
r_sayle


Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what safety's are actually out there ?? Laron Landry. Dwan Landry ?? Both could be good if they stay healthy. I remember reading Dwan was the only good player on that jags D last year?? And of course he would be familiar with us??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12969
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
Nucky wrote:
This is devastating. Were losing one of the hardest hitting players in the game and a top 3 player on our defense last season. Just for 1 million dollars ? But we sign a bum like David Reed for 1.25 mil a year....ok Confused


I don't like the move at face value either but to be honest our D sucked last year. We allowed over 400 yards every game in the playoffs. We were bad everywhere but the redzone which is a great place to be good but none of our Defensive losses mean that much to me cause our defense sucked last year.


Soooooo since we sucked last year, let's take all of our good starters and sell them or let other teams pay them and keep guys like Ed Reed. Meh, I don't agree with that. If Pollard is replaceable right now, Ed Reed needs to be shown the door as well, because Pollard was hands down our best safety last year.

No, he wasn't. Bernard Pollard was as good of a safety as Reed. I think you truly underestimate exactly how huge a part that Ed Reed had in allowing Pollard to be as good as he was... and vice versa, they were the perfect marriage. But once teams still found ways to expose Pollard's lack of coverage (finding ways to isolate him) in our base formation and nickel they were having all kinds of success passing against us in the playoffs. Pollard's supreme lack of range meant he needed a FS with enough range to cover for him.

And besides that, Pollard was always "speaking his mind" as if he was Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Terrell Suggs- he was another Bart Scott always looking to talk to vent to the media. Talking about how the team might as well not show up if they're going to play bad, meanwhile... he's not playing well himself.

Lastly, and the final straw, when Bernard Pollard went down last year... did we miss him? No, we inserted James Ihedigho into the lineup and got the same results... slightly less physical prowess, but a little more range. Bernard Pollard without Ed Reed is nothing more than a good backup SS in the vein of an Ihedighbo. Either that or a below average starter to average starter. He has a niche skillset that smart defenses can use to their advantage, but smarter offenses can expose.

Honestly, if releasing Pollard leads to us selecting Matt Elam... I'll be freaking estatic!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7170
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
No, he wasn't. Bernard Pollard was as good of a safety as Reed. I think you truly underestimate exactly how huge a part that Ed Reed had in allowing Pollard to be as good as he was... and vice versa, they were the perfect marriage. But once teams still found ways to expose Pollard's lack of coverage (finding ways to isolate him) in our base formation and nickel they were having all kinds of success passing against us in the playoffs. Pollard's supreme lack of range meant he needed a FS with enough range to cover for him.

And besides that, Pollard was always "speaking his mind" as if he was Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Terrell Suggs- he was another Bart Scott always looking to talk to vent to the media. Talking about how the team might as well not show up if they're going to play bad, meanwhile... he's not playing well himself.

Lastly, and the final straw, when Bernard Pollard went down last year... did we miss him? No, we inserted James Ihedigho into the lineup and got the same results... slightly less physical prowess, but a little more range. Bernard Pollard without Ed Reed is nothing more than a good backup SS in the vein of an Ihedighbo. Either that or a below average starter to average starter. He has a niche skillset that smart defenses can use to their advantage, but smarter offenses can expose.

Honestly, if releasing Pollard leads to us selecting Matt Elam... I'll be freaking estatic!


I kid you not, this was one of the first things I thought of when I read Pollard was cut. It was something along the lines of "well at least the Ravens can take Elam now that he has a fit on the team so db424 will be happy." I didn't really like Elam as a rangy type of safety but it's different now. At his size he isn't going to be matching up with TEs but I think he'll be fine as a SS covering slot receivers and guys coming out of the backfield. That would increase the need for a coverage LB that can match up with TEs though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12969
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_sayle wrote:
So what safety's are actually out there ?? Laron Landry. Dwan Landry ?? Both could be good if they stay healthy. I remember reading Dwan was the only good player on that jags D last year?? And of course he would be familiar with us??

We already have our strong safety. We have James Ihedighbo as our backup SS and Christian Thompson as our backup FS. If we can resign Ed Reed, I'm comfortable with just having the veteran safeties we had last year (outside of Pollard) headed into the draft. It means safety will be a glaring need, but if the team is set on fixing the DL through free agency, then that should free up that need heading into the draft.

This is a nice safety class and a nice solid player that would play at a Pollard/Ihedighbo level (but cheaper) could be found up until the 5th round quite easily. But the higher level guys should last until around the 2nd/3rd. Tony Jefferson could potentially be there in the 3rd/5th.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with DB on Elam, would love to have that guy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sassan11


Joined: 05 Aug 2010
Posts: 1208
Location: DMV
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read on PFT that Pollard was let go due to basically to "mutiny." Apparently he questioned coaches, complained and brought a lot of attention to himself. The same report says that the team doesn't want Ed Reed. Looks like two new starting safeties next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/mutiny-may-have-been-a-factor-in-pollard-release/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12969
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
No, he wasn't. Bernard Pollard was as good of a safety as Reed. I think you truly underestimate exactly how huge a part that Ed Reed had in allowing Pollard to be as good as he was... and vice versa, they were the perfect marriage. But once teams still found ways to expose Pollard's lack of coverage (finding ways to isolate him) in our base formation and nickel they were having all kinds of success passing against us in the playoffs. Pollard's supreme lack of range meant he needed a FS with enough range to cover for him.

And besides that, Pollard was always "speaking his mind" as if he was Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Terrell Suggs- he was another Bart Scott always looking to talk to vent to the media. Talking about how the team might as well not show up if they're going to play bad, meanwhile... he's not playing well himself.

Lastly, and the final straw, when Bernard Pollard went down last year... did we miss him? No, we inserted James Ihedigho into the lineup and got the same results... slightly less physical prowess, but a little more range. Bernard Pollard without Ed Reed is nothing more than a good backup SS in the vein of an Ihedighbo. Either that or a below average starter to average starter. He has a niche skillset that smart defenses can use to their advantage, but smarter offenses can expose.

Honestly, if releasing Pollard leads to us selecting Matt Elam... I'll be freaking estatic!


I kid you not, this was one of the first things I thought of when I read Pollard was cut. It was something along the lines of "well at least the Ravens can take Elam now that he has a fit on the team so db424 will be happy." I didn't really like Elam as a rangy type of safety but it's different now. At his size he isn't going to be matching up with TEs but I think he'll be fine as a SS covering slot receivers and guys coming out of the backfield. That would increase the need for a coverage LB that can match up with TEs though.
Looks like I may need to spend a litle less time on here... I feel all violated and stuff. Laughing

But yes, there's no secret that I like Matt Elam... though in the wake of my realization that he wasn't the 'ideal' fit until after Pollard left- Elam has been replaced as my top safety in this class. I think that's Johnathan Cyprien. I think he has the best instincts in this class.

Honestly, I'm not all for the FS vs SS moniker. If a safety can play, he can play. Vacarro can play too, probably a little more consistent than Elam, but when Elam is playing aggressive, it's him and Cyprien.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7170
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm big on Cyprien too. It's hard to say where his value is at but at this point I wouldn't be upset if he was Baltimore's pick at 32.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group